SFF.Network ASRock DeskMini at Computex 2018

ASRock's DeskMini line, the proponent of the STX and Micro-STX form factors, is undergoing a tonne more development. More layouts, new chipsets, and overall, a determined promise from the manufacturer to continue the STX family of form factors, something we are wholeheartedly behind. Lets see what ASRock had on display.

Read more here!

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for the update, its a great news indeed they're continuing expanding the stx from factor, yay for amd stx board! hopefully am4 in the following months!

Last edited:

sgtspiff

Caliper Novice
May 25, 2018
Great news.
Love it when the large manufacturers make the cases smaller. Most of them use just way too much free space inside the "small" product line.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Yaaaayyyy AM4 STX! ..and I liked the XL version, with more headroom for cpu cooler you can just put beefier cpus.

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
May 11, 2017
No, please, no, no

Useless and very high ports. My suggestion:

Reactions: xcrco and ondert

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Useless and very high ports
Depends who your selling it too, there are lots of front of house / POS style deployments where serial and VGA are still well deployed for example.

Im still waiting for an mSTX board w/ an SFP+ cage, can dream I suppose.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
I agree on serial and VGA ports. PS/2 port is a gaming thing and could be a good selling point actually.

Anyway they are still very hard to find, especially without case and GPU.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Guys, that is a prototype version :p With the location of the socket on the board, the tall ports aren't an issue. I'd expect a more modern IO on a consumer focused production version.

Reactions: owliwar

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Great to see progress...if only the z370 ones were available here in Europe.

The slim version is exactly what I am looking for. Any more info on availability?

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I'm using this thread to ask a serious question.

What CPU should I get for the B250 DeskMini? I was using an i5-8400 in my last Coffee Lake machine, so I don't need overkill. Not that the DM can handle overkill CPUs anyway.

@confusis @Everyone

simmtuck

Efficiency Noob
Jun 8, 2018
I'm using this thread to ask a serious question.

What CPU should I get for the B250 DeskMini? I was using an i5-8400 in my last Coffee Lake machine, so I don't need overkill. Not that the DM can handle overkill CPUs anyway.

@confusis @Everyone
i think you can put pretty much any non-k kaby or sky lake processor in it that you want. I have an i7-7700 in mine and with the noctua cooler it's lovely. idles at 24-25c in a 21c room, with fan setting in asrock bios on level 2 out of four rpm increases available.

Reactions: Solo

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I was leaning heavily towards the 7700. I was also trying to figure out of the "t" variation would make sense in the system as well.