Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@thelaughingman & @Nicholas Chapman beware that Goatie actually warned about these fittings in his reddit post, and I actually faced these exact problems he described (these are actually so low that fittings connected to it will collide with the aquanaut top plate, and even after adding some extenders, now my fittings collide with the aquanaut AM4 socket screws).

The issues depend on where you plan to route your hoses, but I'd also suggest to consider these ones (also from Koolance). I just got them, but haven't installed them yet. Based on the technical drawings and after some dry fitting tests they look perfect, especially if you want to route both hoses over RAM (assuming you're using low-profil-y RAM like Corsair Vengeance LPX).
No worries my friend, I had it fully figured out:
  • I use Alphacool TPV 12.7/7.6 tubing so my straight fittings are all Alphacool HF compression Fitting TPV Metall - 12,7/6,7mm Straight - Black - 6pcs Kit these are only 18mm in diameter so they will clear anything and everything no problemo
  • Secondly yes I do use Corsair Vengeance LPX ram, maybe getting taller RAM down the line but that's for another day
  • Finally I'll be buying like 10 of those tiny Koolance things anyway to use across the entire loop as I see fit
I spent more time researching on this than actually using the computer hahaha

taquito

Caliper Novice
Aug 7, 2020
The fins of the cold plate should be oriented 90 degrees from the slot in the bottom half of the block.

Effectively, the fins need to go across the short edge of the block:

(Note the bit you can see through the pump inlet, marked with the yellow arrow!)

Thank you so much. This is a very helpful answer :)

Tramere

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2019
Suggestions for @Nouvolo:

1. If you have the 3d sketch you can make a beautiful assembly tutorial. Take EK as an example. Either a YouTube video or leaflet. Not necessary to print it in 2020, when talking to an enthusiast audience.
2. You could at least provide some pump screws (stock length) as it's not compatible with stock DDC screws, although it could have been. The sheer disappointment when i had to order M4 screws instead of completing my build.
3. Thumbscrews were addressed, thank you.

Reactions: sos

Vatzz

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2020
So I finally got to install my aquanaut yesterday but I am having so much trouble trying to get the air out of the pump block.

May tips on how to do it or did it all come down to turning and rotating the case?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Lets have your thoughts on this one:

- Instead of a separate reservoir, how about a thicker/bigger version of Aquanaut that includes the reservoir (or just a fill port)?
- Most likely will not fit T1 triple slot config, anyway, not making this just for T1
- Need value proposition vs Barrow's otherwise I would just buy the Barrow, no need for another of the same

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

- Instead of a separate reservoir, how about a thicker/bigger version of Aquanaut that includes the reservoir (or just a fill port)?
- Most likely will not fit T1 triple slot config, anyway, not making this just for T1
- Need value proposition vs Barrow's otherwise I would just buy the Barrow, no need for another of the same
  1. Definitely wider, and fill port is a must; reservoir is a bonus
  2. As long as you don't increase height/thickness, T1 will be fine
  3. Similar to air cooler categories: <39mm, <48/50mm, <65/70mm -> if you don't increase height/thickness, Aquanaut is the only thing in the <48/50mm class, whereas both Apogee Drive II and Barrow are clearly in <65/70mm class. That's sufficient as value proposition for me.

Reactions: sos and ckrueger99

oOflyeyesOo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 25, 2020
Shouldn't there be room to make it much wider, and only slightly taller? 5mm thicker and cover up more of the open space we have around the cpu, I know, not much. But there is a decent standard of how things are placed, only would have issues with high-end stuff with heatsinks, but probably not ma/itx.

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 23, 2020
You're gonna end up with a monoblock ?

I've installed my Aquanaut, it works great!
Don't panic! I'm still waiting on Low Profile Fittings to adjust everything on both sides and be able to close the case. I'm gonna sand down that heatsink also.

Also, did you know EK 3.2 PMW and EK 3.25 non-PMW have the same PCB ? (Yeah, I made a mistake when I choose my pump the 1st time, might not be so bad, guess I'll try do solder a wire to check this out). I'm gonna do some cable sleeving also, waiting on a delivery.

Last edited:

Mao_Setzer

Trash Compacter
Jul 10, 2019

A fill port will help a lot of us in many ways I guess. The reservoir not essential, just a bonus as said thelaughingman.

Reactions: biopunk

Tramere

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2019

Go Barrow route. Fillport + small reservoir. In my experience even 10 ml is enough for 1 year with good tubing.
You could sell the upgrade pieces. I guess most of the cost is the cold plate.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just a question about the fill port, aiming this at another angle:

Can a fill port still be achieved by using a 3 way adapter anywhere with the loop? That extra port from the adapter can be used as fill port, and can be closed with a plug after filling the loop?

If above works, 3 way adapter seems to have advantage of being installed anywhere in the loop (more suitable location for filling and later draining)?

Fill port on Aq, if facing only one particular direction. Then the whole rig has to be rotated to where the fill port is (facing up)? Any advantage of fill port being close proximity to the water block?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Just a question about the fill port, aiming this at another angle:

Can a fill port still be achieved by using a 3 way adapter anywhere with the loop? That extra port from the adapter can be used as fill port, and can be closed with a plug after filling the loop?

If above works, 3 way adapter seems to have advantage of being installed anywhere in the loop (more suitable location for filling and later draining)?

Fill port on Aq, if facing only one particular direction. Then the whole rig has to be rotated to where the fill port is (facing up)? Any advantage of fill port being close proximity to the water block?
I guess theoretically there's an advantage to filling liquid directly into the pump inlet to avoid it running dry, though without a significant reservoir that point is pretty much moot as you wouldn't be able to use that method of filling the loop anyway. My plan is exactly what you're saying: an Y block (or T block) somewhere suitable in the loop, though I might go with one of those small flow indicators with the rotor removed instead, as that'll do double duty as a small reservoir.

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
Just wanted to quickly report back on these: koolance rotary fittings.

My goal is to stay under 57.5mm motherboard-to-panel distance (to fit in my T1 in 3-slot mode, while clearing RAM easily).
This height is represented by the cardboard cutout you can see behind the fittings.
Even when using these fancier screw clamps for 10/16 tubes shown in the picture, I'm just a hair above 57.5mm.
With the more typical spring clamps you're easily under that height - and especially if you were using 10/13mm tubes.

So at least for soft tubers, I would definitely recommend these over the koolance low profile elbows, as those are more expensive and can easily cause connected fittings to collide with RAM, the Aquanaut top plate or the aquanaut AM4 socket screws, depending on the style of fittings you use and the routing direction.

And if you're curious: Against some reports I've read on reddit, the EK ddc heatsink is too tall for the T1 in 3-slot mode by about 3.5mm.
I'm debating if I can manage to sand it down by that amount just with sandpaper, but I'm likely just dropping it altogether since it seems like its not even necessary for the PWM versions of these pumps.

Last edited:

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 23, 2020
Just wanted to quickly report back on these: koolance rotary fittings.

My goal is to stay under 57.5mm motherboard-to-panel distance (to fit in my T1 in 3-slot mode, while clearing RAM easily).
This height is represented by the cardboard cutout you can see behind the fittings.
Even when using these fancier screw clamps for 10/16 tubes shown in the picture, I'm just a hair above 57.5mm.
With the more typical spring clamps you're easily under that height - and especially if you were using 10/13mm tubes.

So at least for soft tubers, I would definitely recommend these over the koolance low profile elbows, as those are more expensive and can easily cause connected fittings to collide with RAM, the Aquanaut top plate or the aquanaut AM4 socket screws, depending on the style of fittings you use and the routing direction.

And if you're curious: Against some reports I've read on reddit, the EK ddc heatsink is too tall for the T1 in 3-slot mode by about 3.5mm.
I'm debating if I can manage to sand it down by that amount just with sandpaper, but I'm likely just dropping it altogether since it seems like its not even necessary for the PWM versions of these pumps.

They look cool, might look into it if my backorder never ends! Thanks for sharing!

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
Does anyone have experience drilling out a fill port into a radiator? That seems like a more convenient place to put it.