Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
For technical info:

Cold plate o-ring mounting groove (depth) : 1.25mm
O-ring diameter: 2mm
After compression: gap ~0.5mm (between mounting bracket and cold plate)

Do NOT try to tighten it and achieve 0mm gap. You may damage the cold plate or crack the acrylic block. Refer to earlier discussion about distro plates...

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Would appreciate if you check this and let me know if you see anything that stands out. Tried rotating the cooling plate in all four configurations. I think the o-ring is installed correctly as shown in pics. I added a pic of the top w/out pump attached.
You have less of a gap between the top and bottom acrylic blocks (or even touching on its outer edges) , because acrylic is more bendable than the thicker metal cold plate. All o-ring grooves are smaller than the o-ring diameter. Gap or not is not the main concern. You just need to make sure the o-rings are compressed enough to form a good seal.

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
Just to clarify @Nouvolo there are no QC issues with some of the recent batches? I purchased an am4 aquanaut and it arrived today. I won’t install it for a bit, but I want to make sure it’s not defective.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just to clarify @Nouvolo there are no QC issues with some of the recent batches? I purchased an am4 aquanaut and it arrived today. I won’t install it for a bit, but I want to make sure it’s not defective.
Let me know if there are issues. I won't ship out products if I know that they are defective in advance...

Appreciate if you try install and let me know "if" there are really problems. I always try to fix things if there are "real" issues... Lets not spread the FUD...

Reactions: sos and ellroy80

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Let me know if there are issues. I won't ship out products if I know that they are defective in advance...

Appreciate if you try install and let me know "if" there are really problems. I always try to fix things if there are "real" issues... Lets not spread the FUD...
Thanks for the feedback and email response (Note for others - the jet plate is intentionally no longer included). I'll have to grab a working caliper to check your dimensions. With a scale ruler I got almost exactly 1/32" which is a bit more than your .5mm approx and I'm concerned about warping the cold plate if I tighten anymore.

I'll get something setup later this week for a leak test (either air or install and throttle a valve on the disch from the block) and let you know. The "tighten until it doesn't leak" advice has me concerned. On an industrial scale I'm used to O-ring grooves, tolerances, and durometer being spec'd for the O-ring to deform from circular to square once the two mating surfaces are brought together and contacting. I guess I just don't have any distro plate experience like others have mentioned previously in this thread.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Would appreciate if you check this and let me know if you see anything that stands out. Tried rotating the cooling plate in all four configurations. I think the o-ring is installed correctly as shown in pics. I added a pic of the top w/out pump attached.
From what you're showing in the pictures everything seems to be installed correctly and if you used the right sized screws for the job than other than the actual screws being to long I wouldn't know the cause of this unfortunately.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I'll get something setup later this week for a leak test (either air or install and throttle a valve on the disch from the block) and let you know. The "tighten until it doesn't leak" advice has me concerned. On an industrial scale I'm used to O-ring grooves, tolerances, and durometer being spec'd for the O-ring to deform from circular to square once the two mating surfaces are brought together and contacting. I guess I just don't have any distro plate experience like others have mentioned previously in this thread.
It is basic procedure to do a leak test even before installing the water block on to the motherboard... I would do the same no matter what brand EK or what...

Your perception on the seal and gap between is subjective, let test results speak for themselves... Will not answer further to this issue, unless it progresses to actual leak...?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@ppl who have issues with AM4 screws. We will do our own testing tmr to try to figure out a solution. Will post updates tmr. Rest assured we will provide replacements if that's the only way to fix the problem.

Note this issue is raised to our attention in the past 24hr. We will try fix this as fast as we can...

Reactions: sos

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Here's the follow up from my previous posts. I did the "tighten until it stops leaking" method proposed by Nouvolo and will list out these steps for other customers. I believe the risk of warping the cold plate needs to be included as a warning in the instructions for the current version of this product.

1. Loosely assemble the cold plate to the acrylic block. Twirl the hex key with your fingers until tight, but don't attempt to snug.
2. Setup the leak test and attempt to build pressure.
3. Tighten the screws in increments and leak test between each tightening.
4. Once it stops leaking, snug the screws. I went about 180 degrees on each screw. Began observing warping around 360.
5. Take a straight edge and check that your cold plate isn't warping.

I opened an old cpu block to show why the warping cold plate caught me by surprise. This block is designed to properly compress the O-ring when the mating surfaces are contacting, therefore it is not possible to over-compress the O-ring or noticeably warp the plate.

No doubt there are design constraints I haven't considered leading to the Nouvolo design being what it is. I'm still grateful for Nouvolo providing this cpu pump block as an option for sff enthusiasts and I hope this post is received as constructive criticism.

Edit: updated imgur album with explanation of issue

Last edited:

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
You had me worried all over again so just now took out a razerblade, and held it to the cooling plate.
I'm lucky because it's straight as an arrow and I definitely tightened it as much as I possibly could have because I didn't even know about this issue before.
So my block actually appears to be totally in spec, aside from the fact that I have yet to test it.... The 5900x is on backorder.
There is still a small possibility that the O ring is seated to deep in mine and will leak, but it looks like it will be fine.
Anyway, to me it's strange that your block obviously has slightly different measurements than mine.

Reactions: Post-Newt

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
You had me worried all over again so just now took out a razerblade, and held it to the cooling plate.
I'm lucky because it's straight as an arrow and I definitely tightened it as much as I possibly could have because I didn't even know about this issue before.
So my block actually appears to be totally in spec, aside from the fact that I have yet to test it.... The 5900x is on backorder.
There is still a small possibility that the O ring is seated to deep in mine and will leak, but it looks like it will be fine.
Anyway, to me it's strange that your block obviously has slightly different measurements than mine.
Does your retention plate have a tiny amount of wiggle to it or does the cold plate completely clamp it down?

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
no everything is rock solid without any free play whatsoever.
Your cold plate clamps your retention plate without warping. My cold plate warps when attempting to clamp down on the retention plate. Sounds like our parts don't have the same dimensions. Nouvolo's previous response, if I understood it correctly, said there is a .5mm clearance by design. So... one of us possibly has an Aquanaut out of spec.

Reactions: PKAWA