Anybody building a SFF 7900x+ASRock mini-ITX system?

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Hi,
I am interested in building a small workstation with 7980XE+mini-ITX mobo. I foresee watercooling is a must but can it be made good enough? Any idea about a suitable SFF chassi?
Sanders

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Hi,
I am interested in building a small workstation with 7980XE+mini-ITX mobo. I foresee watercooling is a must but can it be made good enough? Any idea about a suitable SFF chassi?
Sanders

There is the ever popular NCASE M1 chassis...

You can read some threads here...

And there is an EXTENSIVE thread here...

I am planning a more modest Ryzen 5 1600 / RX Vega 56 workstation build in a M1 chassis; stock air-cooled to start, I will kit it out with a full custom loop down the road...

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks a lot Boil. I was told Lian Li TU 100B could be the right choice if I want it portable. Is the NCASE ready just to order or is there a queu?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Thanks a lot Boil. I was told Lian Li TU 100B could be the right choice if I want it portable. Is the NCASE ready just to order or is there a queu?

Click that first link, the NCASE M1 one...

You can order from that exact page, and if ordered right now, estimated shipping date is this coming Wednesday...

But it will take a week or two to get to you...

That Lian Li TU100B is gonna choke your X299 build, and limit you to a single 120mm fan / radiator & ITX-sized GPUs...

The NCASE M1 will allow a 240mm radiator & full-length GPUs, it also has much more exhaust venting...

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks all! Why 18 cores? I am running number crunching problems that takes days and weeks and by parallellizing the code I get these times down a lot.
I will need the best water cooling possible to make the 7980XE deliver at a good clock speed! Therefore NCASE may be the right chassi.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Thanks all! Why 18 cores? I am running number crunching problems that takes days and weeks and by parallellizing the code I get these times down a lot.
I will need the best water cooling possible to make the 7980XE deliver at a good clock speed! Therefore NCASE may be the right chassi.
Are you going with AIO or soething custom?

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks A-K! I will start to put the best commercial AIO cooler I can find and see what temperatures it gives. I just got the NCASE and I am handing it over to my friend who does the building job.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Boil told me above that a 240 mm cooler could be used in NCASE. What about a NZXT Kraken X62 with 2x140 mm fans?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
The size and the venting holes of NCASE M1 is not allowing for use 280MM AIO. I would strongly suggest you to use custom loop with the following configuration:
Koolance HX-CU720V because of its size and performance
Corsair ML 120 or GT Typhoon or the upcoming Noctua A series fan, which looks impressive IMO
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 as i reccomend you going against DDC because of noise level. Plus your loop will not have much restriction.
Alphacool Eisblock XPX as it is best performer on LGA 2011( see this review)

Sanders

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
I intend/hope to run the 7980XE at 4GHz with all cores working during fairly long times (more or less 24/7?). Is there any cooler standing out for this type of workload?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Reactions: Biowarejak