x299 undervolting?

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Hi guys!.

I am slowy getting into everyday usage of my new Dan x299 build, and fighting temperatures has begun.
(7900x / asrock x299 itx)
Unfortunately I am still awaiting my delid tool, so was looking into undervolt a bit but must admint to get easily lost in FIVR, VID, Offsets , Overides and what not:(

Is there by chance someone here who could give a few hints or pointers regarding undervolting on x299 and to how to achieve this?
I have ZERO knowledge on this subject so apologize for the more or less dumbed down post.

Thank you!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
From experience with many, many platforms, it's mostly just a case of drop the core voltage in small steps until you hit instability on full load. Then tweak from there :) Try not to get lost in the various jargon - just keep it simple unless you're trying to remove single watts! A general Intel undervolting guide should cover most of the basics - just because it's a HEDT platform doesn't mean the chip behaves any differently!

I'd recommend using Prime95's Blend mode to test for instabilities - it's brutal but it works :)

Reactions: Phuncz

KDC

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
My main doubt is which "handles" to drag around in the bios. With x299 they introduced alot new features susch as FIVR and what not. I have no freaking clue what to pull around to do what thing... Ask me to model and render Valhalla, done I'm right on it, you'll have it in a few days done.. But this... nah man I'm lost :)