Motherboard AM4 Thin ITX motherboards, They do exist!

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Thanks guys.

I've got an Akasa Nero LX2 kicking around from an old build, gonna try it now. Would I need anything between the hdplex 300 internal ac adapter and the motherboard? Grounding strap or something? Single sata is also a killer on this board :|

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Oh, that's bad. Which memory did you use? According to the specs the board should support Dual Channel depending on the modules...
I rebuild, all working fine now. Very silly having a tiny ITX motherboard in a massive case (Phanteks Evolv Shift Air 2) but since it is 19v without a brick, I needed a quick case to check everything is working OK that was big enough to hold the HDPLEX 300w AC internal PSU. It looks insane that virtually the whole of the bottom half is empty but I'm down in the 30 degrees for the first time in a long time and it's practically that temperature in the room :D

Today has been pretty stressful like always when you're building PC's. Not being able to use my trusty Noctua NH-L9a was the first problem. Then the HDPLEX flex atx plate did not fit the IEC adapter, so I had to sand it down by hand, but I only really do this with jewellery, so I toiled with my minimum 1200 grit sandpaper for around 30 minutes then realised I forgot to eat :D. Then the problems with the RAM, but it was solved quickly.

Overall I can't really recommend this board. It recognised the 4650g immediately, and the bios looks a bit more extensive than the A300 deskmini. but for the sake of going brickless, you lose a SATA data connection AND an M.2. So I have a 1tb M.2 drive just sat there. Maybe I'll clone my 256gb boot drive onto the M.2, I don't know. Why do we do these things other than curiosity :D

If anyone want me to make any test or anything let me know.

infoberg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2021
I rebuild, all working fine now. Very silly having a tiny ITX motherboard in a massive case (Phanteks Evolv Shift Air 2) but since it is 19v without a brick, I needed a quick case to check everything is working OK that was big enough to hold the HDPLEX 300w AC internal PSU. It looks insane that virtually the whole of the bottom half is empty but I'm down in the 30 degrees for the first time in a long time and it's practically that temperature in the room :D

Today has been pretty stressful like always when you're building PC's. Not being able to use my trusty Noctua NH-L9a was the first problem. Then the HDPLEX flex atx plate did not fit the IEC adapter, so I had to sand it down by hand, but I only really do this with jewellery, so I toiled with my minimum 1200 grit sandpaper for around 30 minutes then realised I forgot to eat :D. Then the problems with the RAM, but it was solved quickly.

Overall I can't really recommend this board. It recognised the 4650g immediately, and the bios looks a bit more extensive than the A300 deskmini. but for the sake of going brickless, you lose a SATA data connection AND an M.2. So I have a 1tb M.2 drive just sat there. Maybe I'll clone my 256gb boot drive onto the M.2, I don't know. Why do we do these things other than curiosity :D

If anyone want me to make any test or anything let me know.
Yup, using such a tiny board in a bigger case is kind of a waste :)

I had used this case from AliExpress, but there is no way you can brickless with that. Seems to me that this is about the smallest you can go with standard size components (except NUCs).

But check out this thread for a nice brickless build with a standard Mini-ITX board.

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Yup, using such a tiny board in a bigger case is kind of a waste :)

I had used this case from AliExpress, but there is no way you can brickless with that. Seems to me that this is about the smallest you can go with standard size components (except NUCs).

But check out this thread for a nice brickless build with a standard Mini-ITX board.

That's a nice case. I wanted a vertical case, so I picked up the In Win B1. I'd have gone for one of Revo's but I need an accessible USB for my Yubikey. Then remembered the X300TM-ITX is 19v only. I tried putting the HDPLEX inside the housing for the In Win 12v PSU and actually managed to fit it, but I couldn't find a c5 3pin connector to replace the IEC one on the HDPLEX.

So not sure what I will do with this, but it's OK for now.

Reactions: infoberg

infoberg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2021
That's a nice case. I wanted a vertical case, so I picked up the In Win B1. I'd have gone for one of Revo's but I need an accessible USB for my Yubikey. Then remembered the X300TM-ITX is 19v only. I tried putting the HDPLEX inside the housing for the In Win 12v PSU and actually managed to fit it, but I couldn't find a c5 3pin connector to replace the IEC one on the HDPLEX.

So not sure what I will do with this, but it's OK for now.
Is this the PSU you are using? HDPlex 300W

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Very interesting the power draw of 5 4650g in watts within maximum load. On some tests it's 55W, on others — more than 65W.
Depends on the workload, most likely. I've never paid much attention to the APU package power for my 4650, but I don't think I've seen the CPU part ever pass 60W, and the whole system has never gone above 110W at the wall from what I've seen, including heavy CPU+GPU loads, a light GPU OC, and ram +if at 3800/1900.

LUNA Design

Average Stuffer
LUNA Design
Jun 22, 2017
luna-design.org
Last time with AMD APU, I had an experience with Ryzen 5 2400G (65W). It's was god dam hot like in hell and perform about 85-90W at maximum load during CPU+FPU test. Only if disable Turbo mode — it's cool down to 65W. Right now, the new APUs looks much much better.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Last time with AMD APU, I had an experience with Ryzen 5 2400G (65W). It's was god dam hot like in hell and perform about 85-90W at maximum load during CPU+FPU test. Only if disable Turbo mode — it's cool down to 65W. Right now, the new APUs looks much much better.
Yeah, the 7nm APUs are impressively efficient. Full system power draw including PSU losses at 110W including some mild OCing is excellent for the performance delivered.

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Depends on the workload, most likely. I've never paid much attention to the APU package power for my 4650, but I don't think I've seen the CPU part ever pass 60W, and the whole system has never gone above 110W at the wall from what I've seen, including heavy CPU+GPU loads, a light GPU OC, and ram +if at 3800/1900.
I swore I had a program that stress tested it but couldn't find it. I opened DaVinci resolve, that usually does the trick, but couldn't get it above 53.4w I think it was.

The hdplex fits kinda nicely in the phanteks but it's laughable how much space is in the bottom. I thought above putting all of my raspberry pi's in there and a switch I can run off one of the USB headers (all of which I do actually have) but it's a stop gap anyway so not really assed. I'll take some pics when I install the rest of the fans tomorrow, just so you can have a laugh.

Maybe I should just take up gaming :D

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
I feel like an addict but I purchased the following boards for future use and testing, Just got an Asus Prime H410T, Already had two H310T's these are all 2 pin 19V input, One H310T is currently in a Luna case with a 35 Watt TDP I5. I have tested the following up to bios (using a HDPlex 400 and a 2 pin double wired adapter from same: Asrock H410 TM (4pin input) ASRock X300TM-ITX and Asus Prime H410 T2 both 4 pin input, I am waiting for Asrock A320TM- ITX to come. As far as cheap case option: or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
I also am waiting for an AMD processor for one of the Asrock boards. (35 Watt TDP). Most of these 4 pin boards have a serial out port. Asus H410T2 is not sold in the US. I was using Yoybuy but I just recently used Taobao Focus in which you can do full searches in English without using a translator. They took pics before they sent my items and were way faster, even with communication, which is a plus. with the time difference which is over half a day. All boards except Asus H410 t and H310T's were not in factory boxing.

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
I feel like an addict but I purchased the following boards for future use and testing, Just got an Asus Prime H410T, Already had two H310T's these are all 2 pin 19V input, One H310T is currently in a Luna case with a 35 Watt TDP I5. I have tested the following up to bios (using a HDPlex 400 and a 2 pin double wired adapter from same: Asrock H410 TM (4pin input) ASRock X300TM-ITX and Asus Prime H410 T2 both 4 pin input, I am waiting for Asrock A320TM- ITX to come. As far as cheap case option: or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
I also am waiting for an AMD processor for one of the Asrock boards. (35 Watt TDP). Most of these 4 pin boards have a serial out port. Asus H410T2 is not sold in the US. I was using Yoybuy but I just recently used Taobao Focus in which you can do full searches in English without using a translator. They took pics before they sent my items and were way faster, even with communication, which is a plus. with the time difference which is over half a day. All boards except Asus H410 t and H310T's were not in factory boxing.
I had a similar experience. The X300TM-ITX arrived fast, no nasty surprises. Used Superbuy.

Think I will keep the board for a while, I mean it does everything I need so no need to change other than aesthetics. Jamming a 19v psu in a large case just to get rid of the brick seems really pointless at the moment :D I've listed my deskmini on ebay, if I can get that sold I think I'll transition back over to mitx eventually. 19v is just too limiting.

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020

The biggest waste of a case ever. Didn't get a pic of the other side, forgot when I put it all back together, but basically the HDPLEX is being held in by the GPU riser and some very convenient spaces jamming it in under the mobo.