Cooling Alternative fans for the Noctua D15 due to a compatibility issue.

LJA

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 22, 2019
Hi, who knows what fans can I use with the D15 instead of the original ones?. I'm having trouble to determine it, because of the odd form from the originals ones, should I go for 120 mm or 140 mm? or neither since I'll have the issue anyway?.

I was thinking of using one or a pair of 140 mm industrial ones. I know is overkill and adds more noise, but since is an ITX case, might come handly for some more extreme scenarios, long renders, video conversion, long gaming sessions, etc. I'm not that bothered by noise under intensive use. The issue that motivates the need to change the original (great fans) is the following:

Due to the position of my Front Panel USB3 Typer A connector, I just can't install the original fan there, it will go way over the limit of height from my Lian li TU 150.
I've just received from lian Li a new front panel, great gesture, so disconnecting and not using the front USB3 isn't an option, more when I've tried to remove it, to see if I can root the cable differently in order to gain some space and it is stuck as hell, no way I'll break that hideous connector again.

I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about. Also I'm just guessing that a "normal" 120 mm or 140 mm will fit either, but it seems to me thatI'll have more space. What are your thoughts? thanks in advance!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am not sure if I fully understand your problem. I suppose, the USB3.0 cable plug has physical conflict with the fan?

If so, maybe you can use a 90-degree adapter like the one below?

LJA

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 22, 2019
I am not sure if I fully understand your problem. I suppose, the USB3.0 cable plug has physical conflict with the fan?

If so, maybe you can use a 90-degree adapter like the one below?

Exactly and also since the original fans are a bit too tall, I was thinking of replacing them with some 140 mm industrial ones, but I dunno if those are similar in height and if they are compatible with the D15.

BTW happily I've managed to root the USB3 in a way that with a bit of pressure I could mount the front fan. Still I'm thinking of changing the original ones for "normal 140mm" (industrial or mainstream ones). If they fit, at least I'll analyse the possibility.

Regarding the adapter, the USB3 connector sadly it would be a pain in the arse, I've already broke one USB3 Type A internal connector and Lian Li sent me a replacement that I almost broke too today but I've managed to save it this time, while also almost breaking the mobo connector. I dunno what I'm going to do if I sell this mobo in the future or I'm oblied to remove this cable for whatever reason. It's almost impossible to relase it.