gtx 1660ti + gtx 760 heatsink

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
I bought a 1660ti ventus xs oc as my first gpu back in 2019. I upgraded not long after and have kept it around ever since as a spare. I was never happy with this models stock cooling solution. The fans sounded like a jet engine and the heatsink was just a single block with a couple heatpipes. The card would regularly get up to 80c with a comfortable fan curve.

After doing some eyeballing and brief researching, I came across the asus gtx 760 directCU II. The PCB design was similar so I figured that meant the size and clearances in the heatsink would be close enough that I could attempt to make it work.

It did require a bit of shaving to clear in some areas. Not to mention, I had to relocate some of the mounting holes for the Turing hole pattern. I'm currently only using 3 mounting screws to secure it so before anyone freaks out, there is solid contact on the GPU die and has not affected performance at all.

Had to bend some of the heatpipes as well due to some clashing and as you can see the stock vrm heatsink and chokes JUST fit underneath the gtx 760 heatsink.

Here is the finished product with some nf-a9x14 chromax fans:

The best part is that it remains a two-slot card. I didnt take any screenshots of the benchmarks but the highest it hit in heaven was 56c after about 30 min.
Also, with a +100mhz core and +350mhz memory overclock the card didnt exceed 65c during 3dmark timespy.

I will update this when I gather some proper screenshots of the results but this has been a massive upgrade in both thermal performance and noise. Most of the performance gain is probably due to the addition of the noctua fans, but still not bad for a heatsink from a card that came out over 7 years ago.

Last edited:

gergl

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
Nice! I bought a EVGA 1660 ti SC Ultra for a build this winter (right before prices got crazy) just to mess around with it (overclocking, patching the NVENC limit). I ended up adding thermal tape where the heatsink wasn't making contact with the VRMs and VRAM chips and flashing it with a different BIOS (the XC Ultra I think?) to raise the power limit a bit. I also replaced the fans with Chromax 9x14s, super quiet and cool! Here it is in the Zs A4s case:

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
Nice! I bought a EVGA 1660 ti SC Ultra for a build this winter (right before prices got crazy) just to mess around with it (overclocking, patching the NVENC limit). I ended up adding thermal tape where the heatsink wasn't making contact with the VRMs and VRAM chips and flashing it with a different BIOS (the XC Ultra I think?) to raise the power limit a bit. I also replaced the fans with Chromax 9x14s, super quiet and cool! Here it is in the Zs A4s case:

That looks great! What are using here to attach the fans?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The Asus GTX 760's 300W TDP Kepler is larger in size and is square, making good contact with the 4 heatpipes directly.

Unfortunately, the 1660 Ti is a 125W TDP Turing, which is smaller in size and more importantly rectangular and narrower, thus making direct contact with the 2 inner heatpipes only.

I imagine, if the contact design is not a direct one but with a copper base, the thermal benefit will be more as the outer 2 heatpipes can then participate. But, nonetheless, it is good that there is a thermal and acoustic improvement. You make good use of a spare part.

Reactions: FreshGnar

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
The Asus GTX 760's 300W TDP Kepler is larger in size and is square, making good contact with the 4 heatpipes directly.

Unfortunately, the 1660 Ti is a 125W TDP Turing, which is smaller in size and more importantly rectangular and narrower, thus making direct contact with the 2 inner heatpipes only.

I imagine, if the contact design is not a direct one but with a copper base, the thermal benefit will be more as the outer 2 heatpipes can then participate. But, nonetheless, it is good that there is a thermal and acoustic improvement. You make good use of a spare part.
Thats a good point. I did notice that the turing is really only taking advantage of a couple heat pipes, but it does sit directly on the beefier pipe. If I wanted to continue to improve this solution I would definitely try to find something with a solid base for better heat distribution.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Thats a good point. I did notice that the turing is really only taking advantage of a couple heat pipes, but it does sit directly on the beefier pipe. If I wanted to continue to improve this solution I would definitely try to find something with a solid base for better heat distribution.
Yes, the 2 inner ones are 8mm heatpipes while the 2 outer ones are 6mm.
I wonder if it is worthwhile to add a 1~2mm copper plate (acting as a heat spreader) in between the chipset and the heatsink to take full advantage of the design. Of course, you will need longer screws.

MrMcRibYT

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 1, 2021
Could I buy the VRM cooler from your GTX 760 as I broke the pins off mine. If not does anyone know where I can buy new ones?

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
Could I buy the VRM cooler from your GTX 760 as I broke the pins off mine. If not does anyone know where I can buy new ones?
Unfortunately, since I bought the 760 in non-working condition, I just threw the board away and I believe the vrm heatsink was still attached.

For your case, if you cant find one, I would just buy some aluminum heatsinks and some double sided thermal tape or thermal glue.

here are some links to the parts on amazon:
heatsinks
tape
glue