Jun 9, 2018
I am experiencing problems with my setup, here is my parts list:

Asus ROG Strix Z370-I
Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
i5-8400 2.8Ghz
G.Skill 1x16GB DDR4-2400 ram
Noctua NH-L9i
1xSamsung 960 EVO 500G (m.2)

For power, I have the HDPLEX 400W and a (genuine) Dell 330W power brick.

The computer will start up fine, but when I open up any games (Witcher 3 for example), and the GPU is under load, it just automatically resets itself.

I tried the setup with a spare 600W power supply I have, and games run fine.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem? I feel like the HDPLEX 400W + Dell 330W should be able to handle this. The build is very similar to the one that is posted on the NFC site here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
How old is the Dell 330W? Power supplies lose capacity over time, unfortunately :/

SFFnewb

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
I'm having this exact issue. I bought the power supply from dell. If you find a solution please let me know.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Power spiking too high for the bricks you have maybe. Individual bricks seem to behave differently it seems.

Things to try:

Others who have CL CPU’s and the z370i mobo have disabled multi core enhancement in bios. The 8400 is pretty tame compared to the 8700k obviously but the board may be heavy handed with voltage under load.

Set like an 80% power limit on your gpu with MSI afterburner. Good place to start. Can play around with this.

Frame cap your games if they allow or just use vsync if your display is 60-75hz. If your at 120hz or more on your display then just go to work on power limit with the gpu. Less FPS to drive less load on the gpu.

Edit: early word on he HdPlex 400w ac/dc is that it is stronger than the Dell 330 brick so we may have a better solution for punchy sff rigs in couple of months!

Reactions: SFFnewb

djroomba

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Thanks for the replies.

So at this point, I have tried 2 different Dell 330W bricks from a supplier that were supposedly genuine. Returned those. I bought a genuine brick from Dell, and that didn't work, so I returned that.

I just got the modded brick from Gury (rated for 450W), and still the same problem.

At this point, I have trouble believing that the brick is the issue.

Everything works fine with a spare power supply that I have (that is 600W).

Do you think it could be the HDPLEX 400W?

I tried disabling multi core enhancements in the BIOS. When I reduce the power to 80-82%, things seem to work OK.

I was under the impression that most people have setups similar to this (some more powerful), and they are able to get it working without any power reductions. Is that the case?

cwegener

What's an ITX?
Aug 1, 2018
Hello,

I just found this thread today.

I have been running into the same problems in my S4M / i7-8700 / ZOTAC 1080 mini / HDPLEX 400 build as well.

I have tested with 2 different external power bricks (Dell 'genuine' LA330PM160, though not purchased from Dell. HP Omen X 330W bought from HP)

With a standard ATX 550W, I don't get any power resets at all.

With the HDPLEX 400 + HP Omen X 330W, I get power resets even with the Zotac 1080 mini removed.

With the Zotac 1080 mini still removed, I can get a stable system if I change the default 65W Turbo Max / 82.5 Turbo Short Max down to 60W Turbo Max (and 60W Turbo Short Max)

Stability testing is done via a quick 'Bench' run in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

If I add the Zotac 1080 mini back into the mix, I can't get a stable system even if I lower the CPU power limit down to 20W for both Turbo Max and Turbo Short Max.

I am hoping to test with another HDPLEX 400 unit soon.

inbensible

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 24, 2018
Hello,

I do have almost the same build.

Asus ROG Strix Z370-i
Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
i7_8700
G.Skill 2X8GB DDR4-3200 ram
Noctua NH-L9i

For now, I'm using external 500W PSU. I have tried before using Dell DA330MP111 and got the same issue of power reset.
Now I'm waiting for the genuine Dell LA330MP160, many thanks to @Josh | NFC for helping me out for this one.

Anyway, I have read in the other thread that HDplex and Dell LA330MP160 just work perfectly without any power reset.
Can't wait to test mine. *crossfingers* that no more power reset this time.

Cheers!

djroomba

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
So, quick update. I got in touch with the folks at HDPLEX, and it turns out that the unit I have has a known issue.

If the heatsink on top of your HDPLEX 400W unit has only 1 distinct metal piece, it has this problem.

You need to make sure that you have the unit that has 2 distinct pieces. Meaning, it looks like the one from the website here. If it has one metal piece across the top, it might be faulty.

I got the new unit today, and have tested under the same scenarios, and there doesn't seem to be any issue at all!

When I reached out to the folks at HDPLEX, they were SUPER quick to respond, and immediately sent out a replacement part. I was really impressed with their service.

Hope that helps!

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
@djroomba

Hmm... I have the version with the two heat sinks, but I'm still getting issues. I guess I should contact HDPLEX.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the pieces that say "HDPLEX" and "400W-DCATC" correct?
Correct. Current picture on HDPlex is the design you'd get ordering now.

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
Hello,

I do have almost the same build.

Asus ROG Strix Z370-i
Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
i7_8700
G.Skill 2X8GB DDR4-3200 ram
Noctua NH-L9i

For now, I'm using external 500W PSU. I have tried before using Dell DA330MP111 and got the same issue of power reset.
Now I'm waiting for the genuine Dell LA330MP160, many thanks to @Josh | NFC for helping me out for this one.

Anyway, I have read in the other thread that HDplex and Dell LA330MP160 just work perfectly without any power reset.
Can't wait to test mine. *crossfingers* that no more power reset this time.

Cheers!
Where did you find the Dell LA330MP160?

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
Hi GB, got my directly from Dell. since residing outside USA. @Josh | NFC helps ordered for me.
Sadly it won't work with the HDPLEX that I have. I emailed them and got a quickly response that they will send a replacement.
Interesting...I'm going to run a 2700 and 1080 mini in my build and this is making me nervous that the HDplex isn't going to be enough with the Dell power supply.

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
Interesting...I'm going to run a 2700 and 1080 mini in my build and this is making me nervous that the HDplex isn't going to be enough with the Dell power supply.

I feel like the 330w Dell is your limiting factor more so than the HDPlex not being up to the task.

SFFnewb

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
I got the replacement HDPLEX from Larry and my machine is up and running. No issues with extended gaming.

Reactions: BorG

bobmorane

What's an ITX?
Feb 12, 2019
Hi Forum, I am facing the exact same problem with a HDPLEX 400W + Dell 330W Brick. I bought the Dell brick on their website and unfortunately it is the LA330PM160, which Larry from HDPlex told me is supposed to work. I have just spent 50 min with Dell who will send me a replacement PSU but I have little hope that it will work.

Do you folks think that the following PSU, HRP-450 15v or HRP-450 24v would work with the HDPlex 400 DCDC? https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRP-450

If not, do you have any recommendation of 350 to 400W *fanless* 16 to 30V DC PSUs? HDPlex's is out of stock for the moment.