Acer Monitor - 'No Signal' Error

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Hi,

I recently built my first PC, comprising of brand new parts, including an Acer Predator xb271hu. Upon connecting to the monitor, however, a message saying "no signal" appears.

I speculated the issue could be the GPU needed updated drivers. So, after trying both HDMI-HDMI and DP-DP - with the correct input mode selected - I tried again using my motherboard. Indeed, I tried with my GPU connected and without. Nothing changed. Next I switched over my RAM, after a tech support call with Amazon. Still to no avail.

I have also reset the monitor's settings, unplugged the power cable, switched the monitor and computer on and off, as well as tried the above attempts with 'Game Mode' enabled. After further frivolous troubleshooting and YouTube video-watching, I have become despondent. This system is ready for it's first ever boot-up, yet I can't even reach the BIOS stage.

Has anybody experienced the same or a similar issue? Do you have any suggestions for me?

System details
Acer Predator xb271h
i7 9700k
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
RTX 2070 Super
Ballistic Sport 16GB 3200 (CL16)
Corsair SF600 (Gold Rated
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Windows 10 Pro (Not yet installed)

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Have you tried hooking up a different monitor to the PC, and have you tried hooking up that monitor to a different computer/video source?

If it's not a monitor issue, then it could be any number of things, though you've likely eliminated GPU and cables as potential sources of issue if you tried running off of the iGPU.

Can you take a photo of the motherboard? We can look and make sure everything is connected properly.
Assuming everything is, it could be a DOA motherboard (it happens). PSU potential culprit if it's not the motherboard.

Reactions: Phuncz

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Have you tried hooking up a different monitor to the PC, and have you tried hooking up that monitor to a different computer/video source?

I haven't tried either. This monitor was intended to be my only monitor. Plus, since my laptop (SP6) doesn't hsve the corresponding ports - HDMI or DP - I don't imagine it'd provide a video source to the monitor. I did try the USB cable, but despite the laptop being detectes, nothing changed.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
The PC is powering up (fans spinning up, motherboard lighting up), correct? Do you have a PC speaker (don't think there's a POST code/debug display on boards this size, though that would be useful) connected to the motherboard, and if so is it beeping on power-on?

I would double check the power cables to the motherboard (CPU power/EPS, ATX 24pin), possibly disconnecting them and reconnecting them, making sure they are firmly connected with no gap.

Assuming power is okay, the other things that can prevent computer from even booting to BIOS are improperly seated/secured CPU (or a dead one, though this is less likely than other potential issues). Ideally you don't want to remove the CPU until you eliminate other possibilities, but you can check the socket for bent or broken pins if you do.

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
All fans (PSU, AIO, GPU) are spinning intermittently, yes. I don't have a pair of speakers, but I have connected my Logitech G305 via USB dongle, and the mouse powers up. The motherboard lights up. In fact, when I switch my PC on, the monitor powers up. The Acer Predator logo appears, only for the error message to return.

I have firmly pushed in the power cables just now. The power is certainly running at this point.

As for the CPU concern, I think the issue must lie between the monitor and PC. I haven't yet even seen a black screen for other solutions to be relevant. Simply, there's no screen to see; if you can understand my reasoning here. What concerns me is I cannot update GPU drivers (if these are necessary to provide a video output, which shouldn't be the case considering the iGPU DP) because I lack a secondary monitor.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong from the photos, and it's apparent the board and GPU are getting power, at least. Increasingly likely that it's a dead motherboard, though I'd check the socket itself for any bent or broken pins (be careful removing the water block and CPU) and then carefully put CPU back after reapplying thermal compound if all checks out. Maybe try switching AIO pump connector to the CPU header instead of pump, or vice-versa first.

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
All fans (PSU, AIO, GPU) are spinning intermittently, yes. I don't have a pair of speakers, but I have connected my Logitech G305 via USB dongle, and the mouse powers up. The motherboard lights up. In fact, when I switch my PC on, the monitor powers up. The Acer Predator logo appears, only for the error message to return.

I have firmly pushed in the power cables just now. The power is certainly running at this point.

As for the CPU concern, I think the issue must lie between the monitor and PC. I haven't yet even seen a black screen for other solutions to be relevant. Simply, there's no screen to see; if you can understand my reasoning here. What concerns me is I cannot update GPU drivers (if these are necessary to provide a video output, which shouldn't be the case considering the iGPU DP) because I lack a secondary monitor.

I meant the beep code speaker (which I myself haven't connected in years because even when something is wrong I don't want anything beeping at me), but is still useful on motherboards without debug LED).

And no, for video output the GPU drivers aren't necessary, initial video output is happening before OS is loaded, so it's not a driver issue, plus you tried booting off of the integrated graphics so that really rules out the software.

I feel your pain, btw. Very frustrating, especially for first build, but you'll figure it out. Just a process of elimination. :)

Last edited:

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
I meant the beep code speaker (which I myself haven't connected in years because even when something is wrong I don't want anything beeping at me), but is still useful on motherboards without debug LED).

And no, for video output the GPU drivers aren't necessary, initial video output is happening before OS is loaded, so it's not a driver issue, plus you tried booting off of the integrated graphics so that really rules out the software.

I feel your pain, btw. Very frustrating, especially for first build, but you'll figure it out. Just a process of elimination. :)

It is very frustrating. I thank you for the help, Noctua. You've helped me eliminate many of the potential problems. ?

Last edited:

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Do you have anything else like a Xbox or DVD player that puts out a HDMI signal?

Sadly not. Would a chromecast help test the monitor? A chromecast connects via USB and allows screen-casting from other devices. If not, I'll pick up a USB-C-DP adapter for my Surface Pro. I have tested a USB-USB cable and, while the monitor reacts, the 'no signal' error persists.

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Sadly not. Would a chromecast help test the monitor? A chromecast connects via USB and allows screen-casting from other devices. If not, I'll pick up a USB-C-DP adapter for my Surface Pro. I have tested a USB-USB cable and, while the monitor reacts, the 'no signal' error persists.

A Chromecast connects via HDMI - the USB is for power - so yes, it would help to rule out the monitor as issue.
You don't even need to cast to it, just as long as you get the Google logo or setup screen for the Chromecast will show the monitor is getting a working signal at least from HDMI.

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Have you tried re-seating the RAM (ie. RAM is seated perfectly in the slot)? That typically prevents the system from booting and you'll get the warning sounds

Yeah. I've re-inserted the RAM sticks a couple of times, and I've also troubleshooted via a single ram stick.

I contacted an IT technician earlier. His concern was the current bios of my motherboard. My motherboard is brand new, so the version of bios, he argues, may prevent my PC from booting up. Could this be a valid concern?

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
A Chromecast connects via HDMI - the USB is for power - so yes, it would help to rule out the monitor as issue.
You don't even need to cast to it, just as long as you get the Google logo or setup screen for the Chromecast will show the monitor is getting a working signal at least from HDMI.

Thanks for the correction. I'll invest in one for the purposes of testing the monitor.

I may also pick-up a cheap VGA monitor, coupled with a HDMI-VGA adapter, to see whether my PC displays on another monitor. Would this be the best course of action, in your opinion?

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Thanks for the correction. I'll invest in one for the purposes of testing the monitor.

I may also pick-up a cheap VGA monitor, coupled with a HDMI-VGA adapter, to see whether my PC displays on another monitor. Would this be the best course of action, in your opinion?

I'd feel bad if you purchased it and it's not the monitor, but if you are buying one anyway, yes, it could at least rule out the display as being the problem. I'm inclined to think it's the motherboard at this stage, unless there's something else we missed. Might be prudent to ask elsewhere as well (Reddit, perhaps) for a second opinion, and if the display turns out to be okay you may have to RMA the mobo.

Did you connect the pc speaker (aka "chassis speaker") to the motherboard? It should be in the motherboard box if you didn't install it, and manual should have a diagram of how to install it. If it beeps, the number of beeps will give a better idea of what's wrong (manual should list the error codes).

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Maybe buying a DP-mDP cable to connect to the SP6 as a monitor is a financially better option than buying a VGA monitor. I imgaine, a cheap cheap VGA monitor has to be more expensive than a DP-mDP cable?