No signal problems - G-Sync? GPU? Monitor? RAM?

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
So I keep having this problem where my monitor flicks to "no signal" for a few seconds, then comes back on.
Reducing the graphics settings in games seems to help, and it also seems to be worse in graphics intensive parts of games.
For example it's mainly bad on Civ 6, especially on the animated "leader" screens. It worked fine for weeks then this problem seemed to appear one day and only getting worse. I've turned the game down to 1080p and that seemed to have reduced the frequency of the problem but it still remains.
I now even get the problem on the menu screen.
I've also had it happen when running a CAD package.

Today I cam to turn my PC on, and the monitor kept getting no signal, after a few attempts (taking the power in and out of the PC, and the DP cable) it now seems to have worked. But for a couple of attempts it would fail after the windows logo or the boot ASUS logo.

How can I go about diagnosing the problem? I have no other warnings but I'm also not logging anything.

Predator XB271HU
Gigabyte 1070 Mini
Genuine Dell brick
HDPLEX 400
Ryzen 1700X
16GB Corsair RAM
m.2 Samsung drive
NFC S4 Mini

Nothing is overclocked, everything is running stock.

Thanks in advance

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I had essentially this problem not so long ago, it eventually came down to having fairly long runs of decidedly cheap cables w/ insufficient shielding.

witu

Chassis Packer
Dec 13, 2017
You might try reseating your RAM, and maybe starting with a single stick. May need to clear your CMOS too. It doesn't really sound like a RAM issue, but you never know. I've had some strange problems due to RAM.

Good luck!

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
I had essentially this problem not so long ago, it eventually came down to having fairly long runs of decidedly cheap cables w/ insufficient shielding.
Your display port cables? I just have the one running to the monitor that came with it... Any recommendation of who produces best quality DP cables?

You might try reseating your RAM, and maybe starting with a single stick. May need to clear your CMOS too. It doesn't really sound like a RAM issue, but you never know. I've had some strange problems due to RAM.

Good luck!
I did wonder if it was RAM... Due to the orientation limits of the AM4 socket and the noctua fan, the stick are always getting blasted with hot CPU air.