GPU RX5700 No signal on monitor, television no problem

ro9ue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Just upgraded to RX5700 Red Dragon and my monitor doesn't receive any signal but my 4K TV has no issues. The monitor is a Korean Crossover 1440p with a DVI-input only and the television received the signal through HDMI. I've tried with the monitor a Displayport-DVI cable, HDMI-adapter with DVI-cable and i5-2500k system as well as R5 2600 AMD platform. When I power up the system with a monitor the screen is black, GPU fans won't spin up and generates considerable heat. I tried all GPU output ports. Any clues what might be the problem?

Thanks!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I imagine your old display card performed this dual display setup (monitor + TV) and had no problem.
I also assume your old display card had a DVI output port which was used to connect to the monitor.

So, basically the display card + cable are new.
It is probably not the card as it can send signal to the TV properly.
Several thoughts:-
1. make sure the DVI is dual link type. DP-to-DVI cable can be single link or dual link. 1440p needs dual link. Also, make sure the cable is an active (vs passive) type.
2. if your motherboard has a display output port, use it to try the onboard graphics of the i5-2500k
3. you have probably installed whatever the latest display card driver when you installed the new card. Did you use DDU to remove the old driver? Also, try disabling freesync to see if it makes a difference.
4. try not connecting both monitor and TV and only do diagnosis with the monitor connected

ro9ue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Thank you for the reply.

I didn't run the displays simultaneously, first I tried the monitor and TV after. My old card is a 4870 with DVI-connections.

1. Both DP-DVI cable and HDMI adapter are DVI-D dual link but they are passive, I should try and find an active adapter.
2. Motherboard lacks any display output.
3. Do drivers matter at this point since the screen black from the get go and I can't even reach bios with new card?

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
ive got a 5700 here that also has no signal/black screen, but my monitors are DP1.2 4k and my fans spin up. I was about to return the card but seeing this post, i realized i have a TV i could try as well. honestly dont have high hopes though, i think we will have to RMA

ro9ue

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I imagine your old display card performed this dual display setup (monitor + TV) and had no problem.
I also assume your old display card had a DVI output port which was used to connect to the monitor.

So, basically the display card + cable are new.
It is probably not the card as it can send signal to the TV properly.
Several thoughts:-
1. make sure the DVI is dual link type. DP-to-DVI cable can be single link or dual link. 1440p needs dual link. Also, make sure the cable is an active (vs passive) type.
2. if your motherboard has a display output port, use it to try the onboard graphics of the i5-2500k
3. you have probably installed whatever the latest display card driver when you installed the new card. Did you use DDU to remove the old driver? Also, try disabling freesync to see if it makes a difference.
4. try not connecting both monitor and TV and only do diagnosis with the monitor connected

The active adapter did the trick, thanks a lot for your help!

Reactions: rfarmer