Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Thailand? Enjoy your Chang-over! ;)

Hahaha, I'll be on the lookout for that beer.

I actually wanted to go to Octoberfest in DE, hit up dondan, maybe talk Kmpkt into it while I'm at it.

Instead I'm in the middle of nowhere on a unreliable phone connection.

It's not bad though :), I try and enjoy the small things in life, and it's kind of fun to be in a place without wifi, I haven't had that in years.

Reactions: Biowarejak

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Hahaha, I'll be on the lookout for that beer.

I actually wanted to go to Octoberfest in DE, hit up dondan, maybe talk Kmpkt into it while I'm at it.

Instead I'm in the middle of nowhere on a unreliable phone connection.

It's not bad though :), I try and enjoy the small things in life, and it's kind of fun to be in a place without wifi, I haven't had that in years.

Chang is a local Thai beer that gives a stinking head-ache (it is everywhere). Thus the "meme". I'd avoid it. If you want local go for LEO... or imported SAN MIGUEL, brewed in Philippines.

In any case, 3G was quite decent for me in 2016 (I did almost 5 weeks as holidays).. though I visited very turistic places so maybe that is the reason why. And inexpensive too. But even in the eastern islands Koh Tao, Phangan and Samui it was surprisingly good.

Thailand is a very fun and interesting place to live in. Might even return in 2018 for a few weeks. Who knows? Maybe we can even share a beer or two XD

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

It took over a month of trial and error to figure out the best way to chamfer the top panel on my design. Now the prototype is finally done.

2 prototypes in the mail, will see it next week :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

It took over a month of trial and error to figure out the best way to chamfer the top panel on my design. Now the prototype is finally done.

2 prototypes in the mail, will see it next week :)
That panel looks quite difficult (thus expensive) to make. One-off ?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
ah, so unfortunate.

also their manufacturing are generally known to be better albeit more expensive. (in automotive that is)

For small volume, it doesn't make sense to leave China, where all other PC components are manufactured.

Even if I had a sheetmetal supplier in Thailand, I don't know the situation with USB-C connectors, PCIe Risers (PCB and Flex), anodizing (becoming a problem everywhere due to regulations) and shipping.

Hong Kong / Shenzhen has shipping options across the world that's rarely possible at cheaper prices. Even for the M1, if not for the 17% tariff + other fees from Taiwan to China, I can get an M1 to customer's hand in 1/2 time for 25% less shipping cost (4-6 day delivery).

For all the reasons above, I don't see a way to avoid China.

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2017
For small volume, it doesn't make sense to leave China, where all other PC components are manufactured.

Even for the M1, if not for the 17% tariff + other fees from Taiwan to China, I can get an M1 to customer's hand in 1/2 time for 25% less shipping cost (4-6 day delivery).

I don't get this part :/

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I don't get this part :/

The two sentences are addressing 2 different issues, and prob creating confusion.

Since most parts for DIY PC are manufactured in China (USB I/O cable, Power Button, Inlet Power Cable, PCIe Riser, Rubber Grommets, Screws and etc...). The ease of getting access to these parts in China makes it hard to justify making cases outside China. Especially if the volume is small, the extra cost for shipping and import tariff for said components is not worth it.

Hong Kong / Shenzhen has shipping options across the world that's rarely possible at cheaper prices. Even for the M1, if not for the 17% tariff + other fees from Taiwan to China, I can get an M1 to customer's hand in 1/2 time for 25% less shipping cost (4-6 day delivery).

China has better shipping options than Taiwan, where the M1 is made. If the M1 was in China, we can ship to customers at a lower ccst and faster speed. Unfortunately, China and Taiwan really don't like each other, so there is a tariff to transport goods between them. The tariff is expensive enough to void advantages of shipping items made in Taiwan to China.

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2017
The two sentences are addressing 2 different issues, and prob creating confusion.

Since most parts for DIY PC are manufactured in China (USB I/O cable, Power Button, Inlet Power Cable, PCIe Riser, Rubber Grommets, Screws and etc...). The ease of getting access to these parts in China makes it hard to justify making cases outside China. Especially if the volume is small, the extra cost for shipping and import tariff for said components is not worth it.

China has better shipping options than Taiwan, where the M1 is made. If the M1 was in China, we can ship to customers at a lower ccst and faster speed. Unfortunately, China and Taiwan really don't like each other, so there is a tariff to transport goods between them. The tariff is expensive enough to void advantages of shipping items made in Taiwan to China.

My confusion actually more about the latter (shipping) but I forgot to delete the first one on the quotes ehehe.Thanks for clearing that up!!!

Do you mind if I PM you regarding any question of these chinese manufacturing topic?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I know Flex PSU fan noise is a big concern for people.

So I have been actively working with G-Unique (guryhwa) to launch this case with 400-600W passive (fan-less power supply) Flex PSU with cable management built in.

I like to get a 8700K + 1080 in there. Ideally 8700K + 1080TI depending on the temperature and noise.

Here are some highlight pics from guryhwa

Here are the rest of pic from G-Unique (guryhwa) with the prototype.

Last edited: