Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Update:

Necere and I have agree to do separate projects. Necere will focus on the Rev 3 (thick case) and I will create a new case project under a separate brand (yet to be determined).

We have fundamentally different visions, so to satisfy us both will just end up with a compromised product. For me, a console PC / steam machine should be designed for horizontal placement on a TV cabinet (living room), and *still horizontal but VESA mounted on a desk. To try and make a design work in both horizontal and vertical orientation is compromising.

Why bother minimizing desktop foot print when you can VESA mount and take no desktop space at all. So to me, the ultimate SFF is a VESA mounted PC.

I will show the case in a different thread when I have more time. I will need to finish my renders before I make a post. You guys are easily swayed by fancy renders, so I need to up my game in that area :p

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
Best decision IMHO.

Why bother minimizing desktop foot print when you can VESA mount and take no desktop space at all. So to me, the ultimate SFF is a VESA mounted PC.

A sleek SFF PC can act as a bit of a centerpiece if you have a larger desk, like a sculpture. But at the same time, you don't want a honkin huge case sitting on it. This is why I like some of these more niche cases. They tend to be rather sleek and more "artsy", so show em off. Otherwise theirs little to no reason to spend $200+ on a case just to hide it away when a $40 SG05 will fit most peoples needs in a small package.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You guys are easily swayed by fancy renders, so I need to up my game in that area :p
So you've found our weak spot.

I think it's for the best, it was clear both of you were pulling on opposite ends of the rope and while all the products have validity, you can't combine them all into one case. This does give us hopefully two more focussed products that will appease all our sff brothers and sisters !

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Best decision IMHO.

A sleek SFF PC can act as a bit of a centerpiece if you have a larger desk, like a sculpture. But at the same time, you don't want a honkin huge case sitting on it. This is why I like some of these more niche cases. They tend to be rather sleek and more "artsy", so show em off. Otherwise theirs little to no reason to spend $200+ on a case just to hide it away when a $40 SG05 will fit most peoples needs in a small package.

I assume the back of your monitor is facing a wall?

If the back of your monitor is facing a sofa or seating (office, home office), then a vesa mounted case will be in full view. I also picked a vesa stand mfg for the stand I have in mind to get the full effect.

Rendering will help, I'll work on that.

Reactions: Biowarejak

lampuiho

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 29, 2017
Wish there was some specifically designed copper loop cooling like the cooling solutions you see on the gaming laptops.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Wish there was some specifically designed copper loop cooling like the cooling solutions you see on the gaming laptops.
Those are just heat pipe coolers shaped to conform to the space inside the laptop.

The problem with integrating a cooling system like that into a case is that there's no standardization when it comes to socket positioning or board components for regular Mini-ITX and PCIe video cards. Thin Mini-iTX does standardize the socket and keep-in zones immediately around it to allow for such low profile heat pipe cooling solutions, but there's a limited selection and availability of those boards, and they have additional challenges with regard to GPU support and power delivery.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

The round vents looked too much like a kitchen cooktop. So trying another look.

Inspiration:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Look who is flexing his rendering muscles :p. You know us well.

Pretty nice looking.

It's Necere...hahaha.

I'm currently traveling on a laptop with integrated GPU, so I gave up 30 minute into rendering - it's so slow, it's ridiculous.

That looks a lot better ! Is the beveled edge machined ? That looks expensive !

It is CNC machined.

I might have to lease/buy machinery for the shop that's making this case. For all that hassle, I'm getting some chamfered edges.

I like that second design a lot :)

Ask Necere, and he will make more renderings at different angles.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

From left to right:
1. A GTX 1070 mini (~175x130mm) with a Flex PSU. In this setup, the two 2.5" HDD/SSDs are not interfering with airflow.
2. A Zotac GTX 1080 / 1080TI mini (~211x130mm) with a HDPLEX 300W ACDC. In this setup, there is room for one 2.5"SSD under the GPU, likely toasty, but not interfering with airflow.
3. Showing the last image with the Top Panel on. I'm experimenting with a new window cutout.
4. Showing the last image with the Top Panel on and Window installed. The slotted vents are cut into the Window.

Dimensions: 72x270x336mm, 6.53L (72x280x336mm including protrusions, 6.77L)

GPU Support:
- Flex PSU + Short GPUs (175mm or less),
- HDPlex 300W AC-DC + Zotac 1080 / 1080 TI short cards ( 211mm)

Last edited: A moment ago

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I'm 90% there for getting a new prototype.

One more issue I wanted to get opinion on. Full window or half window?

Dimensions: 72x270x336mm, 6.53L (72x280x336mm including protrusions, 6.77L)

GPU Support:
- Flex PSU + Short GPUs (175mm or less),
- HDPlex 300W AC-DC + Zotac 1080 / 1080 TI short cards ( 211mm)

Last edited:

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
Full window looks sick but half window, got to go with the half. The half a window, that dont look like anything that is out.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I have my monitor on a swingarm mount that clamps to the edge of the desk, so it takes up effectively zero desk space. If I were to use a VESA mounted case, I'd have to swap back to a normal stand which would eat up more desk space than saved by not putting the case on the desk - and eats up space right in the middle of the desk rather than off to the side. I'm not sure there are any clamp-style VESA arms available with the weight capacity to hold a large monitor plus a 'full size' (i.e. not a plastic NUC) PC at the same time, and it might be a bit hard on the desk surface too!
One more issue I wanted to get opinion on. Full window or half window?
Half window, if it can improve airflow by using thinner 'spars' between the ventilation slots.