Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
GOD you people are NEVER happy. You want retractable knobs now?? What, to control your stupid RGB lights, I assume? ... Fine. *throws up hands in disgust* I'll add your stupid knob. *grumble*

Nevermind them, I think the pic below looks great...

Have you thought about a TFX PSU?

Last edited:

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
What do you think of a 3.5 cutout for a 3.5 io panel (so people can upgrade the front IO with new motherboards they buy) Or get a temp panel if they want?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
We'd likely offer this with USB Type C from the start, alongside Type A and audio. If anything makes sense to add in the future, we could offer an upgrade kit that changes out the front panel I/O strip.

There isn't really room for a 3.5" bay, though.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
I really like this concept. I've had a similar idea rolling around in my head for a few weeks now.

-Jeffinslaw

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
We'd likely offer this with USB Type C from the start, alongside Type A and audio. If anything makes sense to add in the future, we could offer an upgrade kit that changes out the front panel I/O strip.

There isn't really room for a 3.5" bay, though.

Great way for you guys to keep the $$ coming, 3.5 is a bit big... Where is the PSU area in the case though?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Great way for you guys to keep the $$ coming, 3.5 is a bit big... Where is the PSU area in the case though?
Not really - not enough volume on upgrade parts to make any real money. We basically offer parts/accessories more as a service to our customers, rather than try to use them as a source of profit.

Read the first post; PSU is flexATX and sits forward of the GPU at the front of the case.

WillBlackstone

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Reminds me more Xbox 1 S than Nintendo, just because of the bottom being slightly less wide than the top. Which isn't a bad thing, I like the Xbox 1 S design.

However, I think I prefer this slightly more (or the other with the slim drive on bottom but still be equally wide top and bottom):

I definitely like both more than the Node 202. Nothing against Fractal (I have a Node 605), but I don't like the asymmetrical design they added on the front by the USB.
I have a node 202 and i hate it because it has plastic and i cant just send it off to powdercoating

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
Not really - not enough volume on upgrade parts to make any real money. We basically offer parts/accessories more as a service to our customers, rather than try to use them as a source of profit.

Read the first post; PSU is flexATX and sits forward of the GPU at the front of the case.

Hmmm, any heat issues?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hmmm, any heat issues?
Well, we haven't prototyped it yet, so it hasn't been tested. However, the internal layout is intentionally designed with a well-defined airflow path to cool effectively, at least in theory.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
There's room for the PCIe power connectors, if that's what you're asking about.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Seems like there's room to design a custom stand with integrated cable management.

Reactions: Phuncz

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So while w360's been plugging away at his version of the PCX design, I've been doing a bit of ideating on various concepts, and today came up with this:

Basically similar to the original design, but widened to allow the flexATX PSU to be rotated, and shortened (depthwise) accordingly. The two slim 120mm fans would be replaced by a single 140x25mm intake fan, with the possibility of two 80mm exhaust fans at the top.

Hypothetical specs
Dimensions (H x W x D):
340 x 94 x 240mm, 7.7L
CPU cooler: 40mm (exclusive of intake fan)
GPU: ~215mm long, ~125mm tall
PSU: flexATX @ 150mm long
Fans: 140x25mm intake, 2x80mm exhaust
Drives: 2x2.5"

Essentially, it's a small footprint case designed around showing off a card like the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti. Unlike the original PCX design, this is less of a console-style case, as it's meant only for vertical orientation and lacks ODD support.

My feeling is quite a few people would be more interested in something like this vs. the original design, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Personally I love tower cases as the footprint reduction is more important to me. If I would own a console and it would perform well up-right, I'd choose to use it that way.

The design looks nice, although I'm not a windowed case person. I'd rather prefer a perforated panel for the GPU to breathe, personally.
I like the colored panel options with the black "base frame" too.

Would the top 80mm fans be able to be mounted without the screws being visible on the outside ?

The rear I/O and GPU seems to be indented, is that going to stay if the project proceeds ?

Is the CPU heatsink size limited to 40mm with a 140mm x 25mm fan attached ?
So something like the Scythe Kozuti with exactly 40mm height (without extra fan) or a Noctua NH-L12 (with bottom fan) would be ideal. It does put a limit on the CPU cooler that's usable and probably eliminates AMD Ryzen 8-core, Socket 2066 and maybe even the i7-7700K from being realistic in this form factor. I'm not expecting ~95W TDP processors to flourish in the dimensions of this concept (other similar concepts also exhibit this), but it would be good to be mindful of the limitations.

Together with a ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti, this would put a rough limit of ~260W TDP that should work without issue and too much noise.

It also looks like a relatively easy to fabricate design, did you focus on this aspect specifically or is that a coincidence ?

Overall, I like the design inside and outside.