Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The design looks nice, although I'm not a windowed case person. I'd rather prefer a perforated panel for the GPU to breathe, personally.
There's a good ~20mm between the GPU and the window, so much like the original design, it shouldn't have problems with intake restriction. Granted, with the 140mm fan over the CPU being the only intake, the GPU does get somewhat warmer air than it would with vents directly next to it. That's the trade off, though. Naturally, the 140mm intake is intended to be filtered.

Would the top 80mm fans be able to be mounted without the screws being visible on the outside ?
That's what I'd aim for. As of right now it looks like with the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti mini's tall PCB (125mm), only 80x15mm fans would fit at the top with the current height. Short cards closer to reference height would allow for full thickness exhaust fans there (though this depends on the PCIe power connector location on the card, too).

The rear I/O and GPU seems to be indented, is that going to stay if the project proceeds ?
Ideally, that's what I'd like to do. @CircleTect's idea of using a single machined piece for the back is quite good I think, and I might try something like that. Cost could be an issue doing it that way though, so not something I can say for certain is a possibility.

Is the CPU heatsink size limited to 40mm with a 140mm x 25mm fan attached ? So something like the Scythe Kozuti with exactly 40mm height (without extra fan) or a Noctua NH-L12 (with bottom fan) would be ideal.
40mm excluding the 25mm thick intake fan. So 65mm total is what's available. The Kozuti might be a good choice for this case, with push-pull being possible using its own 80mm fan plus the 140mm intake.

One concern I do have is the size mismatch between a large intake fan and small heatsink. As we've seen, this setup often doesn't perform as well as a smaller fan that better matches the intake area of the heatsink.

It also looks like a relatively easy to fabricate design, did you focus on this aspect specifically or is that a coincidence ?
It really depends how it's executed. I'm fussy about where the bends show, and hiding screws and dust filters and such, so it may end up being more complex than it looks.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I like this idea, it's similar to the layout I had in the PC-Q12 but with the FlexATX PSU in the front.

Where would the PSU pull its intake air from? Have you thought about moving the PSU below the mainboard and making the whole case shorter to impose a maximum TDP limit again as you did with the previous design? Why would you say this is only useful for vertical orientation? With it not having any intake vents on the GPU side, that seems like a perfect candidate to lay flat on that side or to put underneath the monitor.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Personally I love tower cases as the footprint reduction is more important to me.

If you have a monitor on a corner desk, VESA mounting makes the older PCX design completely hidden with minimum loss of desk space.

Don't be wooed by his better screenshots :p

The latest PCX I have 90% done is 335x268x75mm, 6.73L (335x278x78 including protrusion and feet).
- Supports 1070 Mini GPU + Flex or HD-Plex 300W ACDC
- Supports Zotac 1080TI with HD-Plex 300W ACDC (DC-ATX in the works)
- VESA mounting for AIO like setup (potentially the smallest foot print if setup right)
- It *CAN* have a square window (rectangular window possible if you remove ODD)

~ 6.8L vs 7.7L.

This is the SFF forum, a bigger case just feels sacrilegious.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht and Raxe

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's what I'd aim for. As of right now it looks like with the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti mini's tall PCB (125mm), only 80x15mm fans would fit at the top with the current height. Short cards closer to reference height would allow for full thickness exhaust fans there (though this depends on the PCIe power connector location on the card, too).
I'd guess two 80x15mm fans would be sufficient to evacuate most hot air coming from the GPU

Ideally, that's what I'd like to do. @CircleTect's idea of using a single machined piece for the back is quite good I think, and I might try something like that. Cost could be an issue doing it that way though, so not something I can say for certain is a possibility.
I like the concept in @CircleTect's project as it not only makes for a very clean rear where there is no protruding PCIe tab, but also I/O ports that typically protrude like DVI, VGA, CMOS reset buttons and WiFi antenna terminals. I really like this choice as this seems more important with smaller, transportable cases.

While I like this concept of the "NCX", I like the earlier shown "slimline" models just a tad more.

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
I think the original fits in a more `home theater` setting ( better looking in the horizontal position ), while your new design fits better in the `desktop` setting. I think both designs have their place.

I like both, and would probably buy both if you make them both. Already have 2 M1's, 1 being my HTPC which the original design here could replace. And I always like downsizing the footprint of my desktop.

And I'm with, Phuncz, on the window. I think I'd just prefer perforations.

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
I like the original console type concept better. Right now we are limited to just a few horizontal options for couch gaming in front of the TV. The new concept is great but it serves a different purpose. That's coming from someone with a S4 mini on the desk.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I think the original fits in a more `home theater` setting ( better looking in the horizontal position ), while your new design fits better in the `desktop` setting. I think both designs have their place.

I like both, and would probably buy both if you make them both. Already have 2 M1's, 1 being my HTPC which the original design here could replace. And I always like downsizing the footprint of my desktop.

And I'm with, Phuncz, on the window. I think I'd just prefer perforations.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
If you have a monitor on a corner desk, VESA mounting makes the older PCX design completely hidden with minimum loss of desk space.

Don't be wooed by his better screenshots :p

The latest PCX I have 90% done is 335x268x75mm, 6.73L (335x278x78 including protrusion and feet).
- Supports 1070 Mini GPU + Flex or HD-Plex 300W ACDC
- Supports Zotac 1080TI with HD-Plex 300W ACDC (DC-ATX in the works)
- VESA mounting for AIO like setup (potentially the smallest foot print if setup right)
- It *CAN* have a square window (rectangular window possible if you remove ODD)

~ 6.8L vs 7.7L.

This is the SFF forum, a bigger case just feels sacrilegious.
The problem I have with that stuff is that the layout is not well suited to those features, and this forces the implementation to be suboptimal. Like, okay, technically it can do A, B, and C, but those come with a bunch of caveats. Take the window, for example. This is what your window looks like on the latest model vs. on my newer design:

It looks bad in comparison, and like an afterthought. It's smaller and off-center, and only shows part of the GPU when you have something like the Zotac 1080 in there. I know you say it "can" have a rectangular window, but then only if not just the ODD is left out, but also the VESA mounting. Also as is even with the small window, the ODD when installed extends into the window and covers part of the GPU. It's just a bad solution, and doesn't belong on the design.

Moreover, you claim things like 1080Ti support, but only with the 300W/400W HDPlex (which btw needs to be mounted against the front panel to allow for the longer Zotac cards, preventing the ODD from being used). The problem, as you well know, is that with the 1080/Ti dumping all that heat right next to the passively cooled HDPlex, it's not going to be able to operate at its full capacity, which especially the 1080 Ti is going to be bumping up against to begin with.

I just see all these features you're trying to shoehorn in as ill-suited to the design. You're going to end up with six different and incompatible versions of the case. It's not designed for it, the features don't belong and don't integrate well.

Also I don't think anyone actually cares very much about VESA mounting besides you.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Where would the PSU pull its intake air from? Have you thought about moving the PSU below the mainboard and making the whole case shorter to impose a maximum TDP limit again as you did with the previous design? Why would you say this is only useful for vertical orientation? With it not having any intake vents on the GPU side, that seems like a perfect candidate to lay flat on that side or to put underneath the monitor.
  1. PSU airflow is exactly what it looks like: it draws air from inside the case, towards the bottom, and exhausts it up towards the top and the GPU. It's not ideal, but not the end of the world to have an extra 30W of heat coming up through the GPU.
  2. I'd say it's designed primarily for vertical orientation. It looks best that way, and obviously the window wouldn't make sense horizontally. But I suppose with the addition of some feet and perhaps some repositioning of the front panel elements, horizontal could work well enough.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
The problem I have with that stuff is that the layout is not well suited to those features, and this forces the implementation to be suboptimal. Like, okay, technically it can do A, B, and C, but those come with a bunch of caveats. Take the window, for example. This is what your window looks like on the latest model vs. on my newer design:

It looks bad in comparison, and like an afterthought. It's smaller and off-center, and only shows part of the GPU when you have something like the Zotac 1080 in there. I know you say it "can" have a rectangular window, but then only if not just the ODD is left out, but also the VESA mounting. Also as is even with the small window, the ODD when installed extends into the window and covers part of the GPU. It's just a bad solution, and doesn't belong on the design.

Moreover, you claim things like 1080Ti support, but only with the 300W/400W HDPlex (which btw needs to be mounted against the front panel to allow for the longer Zotac cards, preventing the ODD from being used). The problem, as you well know, is that with the 1080/Ti dumping all that heat right next to the passively cooled HDPlex, it's not going to be able to operate at its full capacity, which especially the 1080 Ti is going to be bumping up against to begin with.

I just see all these features you're trying to shoehorn in as ill-suited to the design. You're going to end up with six different and incompatible versions of the case. It's not designed for it, the features don't belong and don't integrate well.

Also I don't think anyone actually cares very much about VESA mounting besides you.

1. The window dimensions and location is not finalized, so the comparison is too early.

2. There is about 9mm space between the Zotac 1080/1080TI and the HD-Plex ACDC (see image below) ands 2x120mm fans intake right next to it. I think only testing will tell. I'm not that concerned about GTX 1080 in this setup. The 1080TI test should be interesting.

3. Most people have not used a VESA mounted desktop. People don't realize how much space VESA will save until they see a full setup. The benefits require better illustrations - which I rather do when I get the prototype case + VESA stand. The Steam Machine / Console layout leaves very few options for VESA. Motherboard back cut out and GPU basically means the VESA holes have to be in front of the motherboard and or GPU. So I don't see the argument that it's shoehorned in b/c this type of layout leaves very few alternatives - it is where it suppose to be.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
1. The window dimensions and location is not finalized, so the comparison is too early.

2. There is about 9mm space between the Zotac 1080/1080TI and the HD-Plex ACDC (see image below) ands 2x120mm fans intake right next to it. I think only testing will tell. I'm not that concerned about GTX 1080 in this setup. The 1080TI test should be interesting.

3. Most people have not used a VESA mounted desktop. People don't realize how much space VESA will save until they see a full setup. The benefits require better illustrations - which I rather do when I get the prototype case + VESA stand. The Steam Machine / Console layout leaves very few options for VESA. Motherboard back cut out and GPU basically means the VESA holes have to be in front of the motherboard and or GPU. So I don't see the argument that it's shoehorned in b/c this type of layout leaves very few alternatives - it is where it suppose to be.
Problem is the VESA mounting precludes both a larger window and ODD support, because the VESA screws get in the way. A larger window (probably) also precludes ODD support. So you're going to have to offer a whole bunch of different SKUs to support all these different combinations (ODD/small window/no VESA, ODD/no window/no VESA, no ODD/VESA/no window, no ODD/VESA/small window, no ODD/big window/no VESA...). (edit: oh and let's not forget colors for each of these). This is why I say you're shoehorning these features in. They don't belong.

The proper way to do it is to design it such that you have as few SKUs as possible. Any "either-or" type features need to be included in the core SKU, such that you're not choosing the ones you want before you buy, and effectively locking yourself out of others in the process. This is the key difference between where you're taking this and what I did with the M1 design. The M1 didn't lock you into anything, aside from color and an ODD slot. All the core functionality was there across all versions, and I've always made it a point to keep parts from later revisions compatible with earlier ones.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Anyway.

I did some playing around with the latest concept, adding some M1-style angles to the side panels:

It's a fairly subtle change, but overall I think it's an improvement. I've already got the "boring box" criticism from w360 for the original :p

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
Anyway.

I did some playing around with the latest concept, adding some M1-style angles to the side panels:

It's a fairly subtle change, but overall I think it's an improvement. I've already got the "boring box" criticism from w360 for the original :p

Yup, definitely buying one.

Definitely breaks up the square box feel without being too flashy.

Looking cool! What kind of power button are you guys using?

Probably the same as in the M1, going by the renders.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Looking cool! What kind of power button are you guys using?
Probably the same as in the M1, going by the renders.
It's actually not the Lian Li button. Right now it's just a placeholder, but it's based on a common switch that you can find from multiple vendors on aliexpress (for example). We'd likely get a mold tooled for a custom plastic cap for it.