Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
My upcoming unit as well as HDPlex's 300W DC-ATX will have standardized threaded mounting holes on the backplate. I will be making the standard available here for all case designers and will also be forwarding it to the fine people at G-Unique if they want to collaborate on helping us standardize DC-DC board. As a case designer, all you will need is four small holes to retain the screws.
Good to know. The more things are standardized, the more likely it is I'll consider supporting them.

Also @Necere, what wattages are you thinking of supporting with respect to Flex ATX power supplies? I am also collaborating with Larry on a load sharing device that would allow the linkage of multiple HDPlex AC-DC units. Additionally my solution will allow daisy chaining for either 460W and 760W capacities, while Larry is going to be offering a 500W version of his DC-DC shortly. Perhaps this could provide a nice alternative to the Flex?
I figure the most a build in this case could draw is probably in the 250W range, so 3-400W is what I'm thinking as a starting point. Higher capacities are mainly interesting for their potential to lower sound levels.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Do you understand the airflow design, and how everything works together to get the air going the same way through the case? To be clear, there are no vents on the underside of the case. Only the top panel and left side are ventilated.

Ah that's very cool, wasn't really obvious. So I guess there's about 25mm between GPU and the sidepanel so the GPU can pull in the leftover air? How will you prevent the GPU from recycling its own side-exhaust?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Ah that's very cool, wasn't really obvious. So I guess there's about 25mm between GPU and the sidepanel so the GPU can pull in the leftover air? How will you prevent the GPU from recycling its own side-exhaust?
That's something I was thinking about. It would be straightforward to add a flange on the floor of the case that acts as a partition between the GPU intake and the top (side) of the GPU.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Simple question, but I'm curious: have you run any tests to see how the FlexATX PSU temps might vary based on it's configuration within the case?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Simple question, but I'm curious: have you run any tests to see how the FlexATX PSU temps might vary based on it's configuration within the case?
What configurations do you mean? It's not like there are very many different ways the PSU will fit in the case.

Regardless, I haven't done any kind of testing yet. I'll be evaluating the noise level of a couple different units from different manufacturers soon, though.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Am I right in assuming you plan to use an overspeed (say 500-650W) Flex units and recommend they be used at lower wattages to control noise?

Reactions: Phuncz

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The flex PSUs I'll be looking at initially are the currently available lower wattage models (<=400w). Depending how acceptable those are, we may not need to look at overspecced units.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I think the 400W FSP is great and it has a -12V rail. But the bulk list price is high also if you order more than 1000 units ($60-70) some month ago I god a price list from FSP.

Maybe a 300W Seasonic could also work and will be better priced.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
What configurations do you mean? It's not like there are very many different ways the PSU will fit in the case.

Regardless, I haven't done any kind of testing yet. I'll be evaluating the noise level of a couple different units from different manufacturers soon, though.

Ah never mind, I see your case has air vents on the side which is where the PSU exhausts. I was thinking it might be cooler if running out the back side of the case but it was a silly question.

I think it looks amazing, I'm very excited about a possible development. I always have admired the craftsmanship of the M1 but was never interested in that case because it is designed for higher end builds and my PCs are midranged.

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
Very nice case project! It has about the same layout as my very old Cooler Master 270.
While i was using the space for longer than > 175mm GPUs before, i am now also back to putting the PSU behind the power button panel.
Eager to see your cooling results! And also results on Flex ATX PSUs - there really is a lack of quiet reasonably powered Flex ATX PSUs at the moment :oops:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
On the subject of optical drive support

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can make both optical drive and internal HDPLEX support work. Optical drive support in general is complicated and messy, due to the crappy locations of the M2 screw holes on slim optical drives. Trying to work out flexible mounting options that allow for an optical drive and either a flex PSU or internal HDPLEX PSU is proving to be a lot of trouble, and honestly I'd rather just drop optical support altogether. But I would like your opinion on it, so:

Poll: Which do you prefer, internal HDPLEX or slim optical drive support?

To clarify, both options support a Flex PSU by default. The advantage with the HDPLEX option are 1.) the PSU is passive (no fan), and 2.) +40mm GPU length, allowing for e.g., the Zotac GTX 1080 at 211mm.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Btw, FSP showed us their PSU roadmap for the next year, and one thing caught my eye:

A platinum rated, 350W flex PSU is potentially ideal for the kind of compact mid-range to lower high-end systems in the <250W total power draw range that this case is targeting.

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
Looks nice as usual, but it's just another horizontal design. I think, the market lacks vertical cases, which are convenient and pleasant to hold on the table. Something like a tower with as small as possible footprint and support of dual-slot ITX main boards and full-sized GPUs.

HG-Computers Osmi is beautiful, but not too functional. Cryorig OLA is still unknown where and anyway too ugly.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This case looks flexible enough to be positioned vertically. It can be positioned with the GPU side on the top and motherboard on the bottom, so intake fans blow air from the bottom and the side exhaust vent next to the GPU is now at the top.

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
This case looks flexible enough to be positioned vertically. It can be positioned with the GPU side on the top and motherboard on the bottom, so intake fans blow air from the bottom and the side exhaust vent next to the GPU is now at the top.

Yes, vertical installation is possible. But as in case of game consoles, such position harms aesthetics. Only Xbox 360 looked good when it stands vertical, but only because it was originally created for this.

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
I don't think aesthetics is a problem with the case standing upright :)

Come on! It's like a jumbo nettop when it standing upright! I surely would not want to put it this way next to my monitor. (But It will look good lying horizontally in front of the TV in the living room.)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Looks nice as usual, but it's just another horizontal design. I think, the market lacks vertical cases, which are convenient and pleasant to hold on the table. Something like a tower with as small as possible footprint and support of dual-slot ITX main boards and full-sized GPUs.

HG-Computers Osmi is beautiful, but not too functional. Cryorig OLA is still unknown where and anyway too ugly.
So like the FT03-mini or Corsair One? That's something w360's been on about for himself as well, so who knows, maybe we'll still do something like that down the line. Some of the earliest pre-M1 concepts I did used that layout.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Come on! It's like a jumbo nettop when it standing upright! I surely would not want to put it this way next to my monitor. (But It will look good lying horizontally in front of the TV in the living room.)

There is no need for a "come on" here, because we all have different tastes. Maybe a nettop evokes images of a bare metal chassis with a cheap looking plastic front bezel, but Necere's case wouldn't follow that sort of construction, if the M1 is any indication.