Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's a positive pressure enclosure designed properly. I don't think it will have the same issues as the Node 202.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Reminds me more Xbox 1 S than Nintendo, just because of the bottom being slightly less wide than the top. Which isn't a bad thing, I like the Xbox 1 S design.
The version w360's been CADing is based on an earlier version of the concept I did (but never showed publicly). He prefers that version to the later ones. Here's a render of that earlier concept if you're curious:

I decided it was more complicated than it needed to be, and I've come to prefer the aesthetics of the more recent versions.

you are going to need better venting than that though. The node 202 always ran GPUs hot. you needed 2 extra fans
I think the problem in the Node 202 is a lack of exhaust vents. There's plenty of intake airflow, but there's only a narrow strip of vents for the exhaust. I'd venture to say it'd work a lot better if were opened up more like the CPU side.

My design not only provides much more exhaust ventilation on that side, but the ceiling on the amount of heat produced by the GPU is lower, due to it only supporting shorter GPUs.

Reactions: Phuncz and br3nd0

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
In defense of the larger Fractal Node 202, I just recently stuffed a EVGA 1080ti SC2 Black edition into one with two 120mm Fractal fans I had lying around and the GPU temperatures didn't go higher than 67c after 20 minutes of Furmark (flattened out).

During this time, I was also running a multithreaded CPU stress test to ensure that it could handle the heat.
The stock i7-7700k under a Cryrig C7, running a 4 thread stress test at the same time, managed to hit 83c on a single core.

The ambient temperature was 23c and all the magnetic fan filters were installed.
With the added 120mm fans I was decently impressed, although I will admit that EVGA's iCX cooler most likely made it all possible.

Here's to NCASE improving upon a successful formula with a far more appealing case.
*cheers*

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
+1 for the alternate version, very crisp. Would white be a colour option?
I assume you're talking about this version:

White would have to be painted or powder coat, since white anodizing isn't possible. Not sure if we'll do paint, and IMO powder coat from what I've seen is rougher than I'd like, so I can't say if white is something that will be available.

Full size GPU?
Colored like the original nes or ps1?

Price?
Specs?
Full size GPU, shot up and take my money!!!
Take it easy, no one said anything about a full size GPU. Nothing has changed significantly in terms of planned specs from what's in the first post.

Deckard42

Case Bender
Jan 13, 2016
Those designs is beautiful (all versions), as a happy M1 owner I'm excited to see this new case develop. I've been wanting an HTPC for a while now but I may just wait to see if this design makes it to market.

Last edited:

Thomas

Case Bender
May 26, 2017
Have you tried building around pio boards? Imo options with pio mb (210*210mm) + zotac 1080 mini (125*210mm) + flex atx. Would make a great volume efficient build (all components next to each other).
Would be something like 220 * (210+125+80?) * 40?
No fans needed perhaps?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
PIO boards look great, but they aren't available off-the shelf in many places. I figure NCase would want to reach as many customers as possible as they did with the M1 and I've only seen PIO boards sold in Asian markets.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, pretty much. Much lesser availability, downmarket specs, and actually larger than mini-ITX - it's hard to see the value in designing a case for those boards. They suit their purpose as affordable boards to integrate into prebuilt AIO systems, but for the enthusiast DIY market they don't make a lot of sense.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
The latest render looks absolutely gorgeous!

@Necere the fan noise is absolutely within range. Ofcouse the unit will be hotter when it's in a case but I'm excited to see how your testing goes.

Just a reference for powerusage, when I load my pc with furmark 720p no AA and p95 blend test, my pc draws 470w AC at the plug (230v)

Pc specs;

Msi z170i AC pro w/i7 6700 (non k)
16gb corsair vengeance ram
Gigabyte extreme gaming 980 ti @1480/4000mhz
250/500gb Samsung Evo 850.
Corsair SF450.
4x120mm fans

Just for info if you ever wonder about power draw.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
I generally think of ODDs as absolete on SFF cases

Yes, lets have something we can put under the tv & play a movie on or if it is in a separate room still watch a movie on... They have slim ODDs, they are small & nice...

MrBreakfst

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
The first render looks suspiciously like a schiit audio product (although more square).
I sincerely hope the chassis was inspired by them

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Not specifically, no. It's more like, there's only so many ways you can bend metal to make a box, and this was one way that looked okay.