Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Michael

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2016
I know you hate multiple skus but I'd like to see this in a horizontal orientation without the stand/window and with some Lian Li esque casters.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Rev 3:

This evolution of the design solidifies its purpose: its slab-like styling and prominent exhaust vents communicates "this is a serious machine for serious work." This is no featherweight; it is thick because it is powerful.

RobonHood

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2016
Rev 3:

This evolution of the design solidifies its purpose: its slab-like styling and prominent exhaust vents communicates "this is a serious machine for serious work." This is no featherweight; it is thick because it is powerful.

So is this still the same size as the original WIP Render? This thing has got some perceived "chub" to it now, that was as apparent in the initial renderings. Not that, that is a bad thing by any means its still tiny. One thing though that Red is killer and I definitely think it should be a color option if and when this rolls out.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It's a little deeper to allow for more length on the panel angles, but otherwise the dimensions are the same.

WillBlackstone

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Rev 3:

what software do you use to design your cases?

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
My GOD rev 3 is sexy...........Now that's a case

Please tell me the cpu cooler height can now accept 58mm so a thermaright axp-100r can fit.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Man this case is super alluring at 7L.
That recessed I/O panel begs for a small sliding door to make the front completely monolithic. Looks damn good right now!
I wonder if instead of a sliding door on the front, what if the front panel went in the same style as the original Ncase M1? As in, the cutout loses the thinnest strip towards the bottom?

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
Ok, given the latest pictures I'd say you only need one model. Seems to work really well in either position. Still in for 2.

Man this case is super alluring at 7L.

I wonder if instead of a sliding door on the front, what if the front panel went in the same style as the original Ncase M1? As in, the cutout loses the thinnest strip towards the bottom?

Being a dynamic case ( having both a horizontal and vertical position ), there's really no "true" bottom to cut out. I personally think a sliding door would be the most ideal solution.

I kind of like it the way it is, the only issue I'd see is dust build up inside the recess. But that's managable given how good it looks. A hide away sliding door would be a great way to get the best of both worlds, but would probably add more complication than it's ultimately worth.

My only question would be if you all considered using a ribbon instead of a riser card in order to flip the GPU upwards so that you don't have to worry about suffocating the GPU in the horizontal position. ( not sure if it's been asked already, if it has... sorry :p )

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Front I/O mockups:

I didn't like the M1 style (#2) because of how it cuts into/off the front panel, while integrating the ports directly into the panel (#3) reduces legibility of the port labels and makes it more difficult to allow for upgrades to the front I/O.

A door probably isn't in the cards, just due to the added complexity and space it would take up.

My only question would be if you all considered using a ribbon instead of a riser card in order to flip the GPU upwards so that you don't have to worry about suffocating the GPU in the horizontal position. ( not sure if it's been asked already, if it has... sorry :p )
No, but there's no reason why the GPU would suffocate. The case is designed to bring in air through the CPU cooler and exhaust it out the side next to the GPU. There's about 20mm between the GPU fans and the side panel/window (i.e., one full slot's worth), so the intake restriction shouldn't be that great, and will be the same regardless of orientation.

Please tell me the cpu cooler height can now accept 58mm so a thermaright axp-100r can fit.
The total available height for the CPU cooler is currently 65mm. I should probably have made that clearer. The CPU cooler fan also serves as the single intake for the entire system, though, so it may be beneficial for overall temps to go with an oversized fan (potentially at the expense of CPU temps)

Last edited:

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
The total available height for the CPU cooler is currently 65mm. I should probably have made that clearer. The CPU cooler fan also serves as the single intake for the entire system, though, so it may be beneficial for overall temps to go with an oversized fan (potentially at the expense of CPU temps)
Well then nf-a12x15 with twice the cfm to the rescue? :p

Or is the intake 140mm sized?

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
It's 140mm, but it'll have 120mm mounting holes as well.
If one of those zotac 1080s is used, whats the space between the side exhaust and the gpu? and how tall/wide is the side exhaust?
I was thinking of using some mini fans to help the airflow.