635ml (21.5oz) Ryzen 2400G Mini-STX Build

boingk

Caliper Novice
Feb 10, 2019
Yes, but the 2400G uses TIM, not solder. Point taken on the direct die though - alignment will always be an issue for coolers in non-standard applications.

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Why not just go liquid metal on the stock heat spreader? You'll get about a 10'C decrease in max temps, according to der8auer.
All about the height of the cooler. The highest point of my build will be memory, 20.8-21 mm from the motherboard’s PCB. To keep the size of the case as small as possible, the top panel will be directly above the memory. On the other hand, the height of the processor with stock heat spreader and 12-mm cooler will be about 20.2-20.3 mm. 0.5-0.8 mm between the fan and the top panel is not enough for the fan to work effectively. That’s why any extra mm will be helpful.

boingk

Caliper Novice
Feb 10, 2019
0.5-0.8 mm between the fan and the top panel is not enough for the fan to work effectively. That’s why any extra mm will be helpful.

Understood. The thickness of the heat spreader, especially considering you'll need to shim it, shouldn't be a deal beaker. Taking SMT's off the die might be, though. The unlidding can be pretty shaky with these Raven Ridge chips as the heat spreader is right up against the SMT's.

I'd heavily reconsider whether you need that extra half millimetre. You can always put more airflow in the case. Check this out for an example:

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Understood. The thickness of the heat spreader, especially considering you'll need to shim it, shouldn't be a deal beaker. Taking SMT's off the die might be, though. The unlidding can be pretty shaky with these Raven Ridge chips as the heat spreader is right up against the SMT's.

I'd heavily reconsider whether you need that extra half millimetre. You can always put more airflow in the case. Check this out for an example:

Wow! Excellent idea, I will consider it.

Reactions: Soul_Est

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Copper spacers. 25mm x 25mm. Thickness: 0.8, 1.2, 1.5, 2.0

vithrell

Case Bender
New User
Apr 7, 2019
Did you consider going with 2400GE? It seems to be better binned to work at lower power, what will be probably a case in your project.

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Did you consider going with 2400GE? It seems to be better binned to work at lower power, what will be probably a case in your project.
Nope. On the contrary, I'm going to upgrade 2400G to 3600G (95W) in future :)

chinevo

SFF Recordsman
Original poster
May 11, 2017
You know what you need? Custom right angle sodimm adapters!
Yes of course! :) But they are all higher than VLP sodimm. Two weeks ago, I ordered two sticks from enoch.systems and my order is still being processed. What is sad, they do not respond to my emails :(

Guys, maybe someone knows where can I buy it. I need Innodisk 2x8Gb 2666 VLP SO-DIMM DDR4.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yes of course! :) But they are all higher than VLP sodimm. Two weeks ago, I ordered two sticks from enoch.systems, but my order is still being processed. And what is sad, they do not respond to my letters :(

Guys, maybe someone knows where can I buy it. I need Innodisk 2x8Gb 2666 VLP SO-DIMM DDR4.

Find someone to design them.

@aquelito do you think c-payne could make VLP right angle sodimm adapters?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Find someone to design them.

@aquelito do you think c-payne could make VLP right angle sodimm adapters?
Wouldn't one need to be taller than the other, thus meaning longer traces for one memory channel? I might be wrong, but I've read that DRAM is extremely sensitive to trace length (due to how this affects timings) and that this is a major hurdle for motherboard design - wouldn't lengthening the traces by unequal amounts then cause trouble?