Greetings all!

Hi All,

I'm a Phd student who works from home and office. I'm looking to build an SFF PC for productivity which I can carry to work in my backpack and has enough power to run simulations. Below is a parts list that I had in mind in a Skyreach S4 Mini.

AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus - ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
ADATA - XPG SX6000 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

I would also like some light gaming and was thinking of using 1050 mini or 1060 mini. This is my first build and needless to say I do not have a lot of experience. Also, I don't want to use an external power brick as that defeats the purpose of portability for me.

Please provide any build logs or feedback you have. Thank you

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The 2400 G is a APU part, and will have inferior performance (for similar TDP) compared to a R5 without the integrated GPU. If you are going to get a discrete GPU, I would consider a multithreaded R5 if that could benefit your professional work.

suneet91

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
The 2400 G is a APU part, and will have inferior performance (for similar TDP) compared to a R5 without the integrated GPU. If you are going to get a discrete GPU, I would consider a multithreaded R5 if that could benefit your professional work.
Thank you for the input. I'll change that. Any suggestions for the rest of the build?

suneet91

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
Unless you just REALLY like the S4 or you DO plan to get a gpu down the road, there is no reason to buy a case that big. If you are staying with iGPU's then you dont need that case, a case like this one, and there are many mass manufactured ones like it, would suit you fine.....
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/3-5l-htpc-case-made-for-ryzen.7180/

I do plan to get a GPU down the road. Nevertheless, I couldn't find something cheaper than S4 that would endure the weekly transport in my backpack to and from my office. And I plan to use this system for a good 3-4 years. If you know anyone case in which I can fit my a GPU(at least a mini) then please let me know. Right now, the case and the power supply cost close 40% of my build budget!!