CPU 500w external brick :)

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi all,

I know that there are various DC-ATX PSU's with varying power but there hasn't been an affordable external brick that goes up to the full extent of some of them - the most I've seen is 330w Dell.

I posted this in a build thread but thought it could also be useful to see in the hardware section.

So for the build I am using an HDPLex 400W DC-ATX unit, and to save space/weight of the build (which is a bit like a laptop) I am going external power brick style. I have bought the HD Plex 400 AC-DC unit, and have placed it in an enclosure.

So the external brick is quite big, 255mm x 70mm x 49mm. So there is an additional .85 litres of size which is not being included in the case. Which is good when compared to the Dell 330w brick (at 223 x 155 x 76mm) which is 2.6 litres, and only 330w instead of 400w with 500w peak.

I still need to mount the AC-DC unit inside the enclosure, and make some rear venting holes, and I am waiting for a cable from the company which is a 6 pin to barrel which I will use from the brick to the laptop/portable desktop in some kind of sleeving to make it look more like an external brick.

Last edited:

frostillicus

Case Bender
New User
Feb 11, 2021
That looks great - where did you get that enclosure? Also, does your AC-DC brick have coil whine? I just got mine and its pretty loud.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
I got it off ebay, but it is called a Hammond 1590BXBK enclosure. I had to file the screw thread housing slightly to allow the AC-DC unit to fit. In relation to coil whine - I hear absolutely nothing with it in the enclosure. I haven't really tested it that much outside of the enclosure but I can't remember hearing anything obvious. I can just about here the fan under heavy load when I put my ear near the enclosure, otherwise it is silent.

Hammond 1590BXBK Diecast Enclosure 254 x 70 x 49.5 Black