3D Printing Thread

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
PLA actually works just fine for structural parts and doesn't emit noxious fumes like ABS does. I'm betting that's what the store is using :) Definitely check what model of printer they have and then research it to see the quality you can get out of it.

I've decided to go with 3D Hubs as I can easily find a local service that can print in ABS plastic there and delivery is fast (or I can also pick up). Now I'm trying to assess what is realistically and financially possible through these services. Like if I wanted to print a 20x20x1cm base for my custom case, how long would waiting times be and how much would it cost. As well as how well is the design suited for printing.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Oh, has anything been resolved with the 3D hubs controversy?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Oh, has anything been resolved with the 3D hubs controversy?

It seems it's still going on. But I would rather look for alternatives to 3D Hubs where I can outsource a printing service to a local printer. Any other places that are doing that, and are not misleading customers like 3D Hubs?

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It seems it's still going on. But I would rather look for alternatives to 3D Hubs where I can outsource a printing service to a local printer. Any other places that are doing that, and are not misleading customers like 3D Hubs?
I believe there's one that soft launched in the wake of the 3D hubs stuff, let me double check its name.

-Edit- Right, it's MakerHub. Not sure how far along they are yet though.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
There are a few and @Biowarejak mentioned one of them. The others are Treatstock, Print a Thing, MyMiniFactory, Freelabster, Phanes 3DP, and Paperless Parts.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There are a few and @Biowarejak mentioned one of them. The others are Treatstock, Print a Thing, MyMiniFactory, Freelabster, Phanes 3DP, and Paperless Parts.

Ah, I forgot Treatstock! I stumbled into this website somehow the other day. They have a good directory and filters for printing services. In the meantime I will continue designing the parts.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Ive only ordered once w/ tratstock but it was an utter shitshow. They kept me waiting for 2 weeks+ w/ zero contact before they told me the supplier had a broken printer. what should have taken ~ 1 week ended up taking about ~ 1 month.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I hope it works out better for me. Being in a bigger city, I see many available local printers to choose from.

Kharitonova

What's an ITX?
Nov 9, 2017
Total newbie to 3D printing here. I don't plan to buy my own printer yet but I'd like to try out a third party service. Aside from online services I found a local UPS store that has a 3D printer that people can use, It unfortunately does not say on their website what kind of materials are possible with it, or what model of printer it is. Has anyone used one from those stores? Is the quality good to prototype parts with? I know ABS plastic is one of the higher quality ones without going with a super expensive industrial printer. Just want a good material to build structural parts with.

Hi! I always use this platform for printing the items. There you can find 3d models and find Print Service with the suitable price, color and material ;)btw, you'll not spend your time, you can place the order online

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
looks interesting. doesn't look like it'd be able to print anything more complex than an object definable by 3 isometric planes ._.

Why do you think so? It seems to me like the resin will not cure if not three light-beams overlap, so you can easily choose to cure any voxel of your choice inside the build volume. The only issue I'm seeing is the potential for shadows when you cure something even though you don't want to, but that could be alleviated by printing in sets of layers.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh so only two laser projections are needed to cure that voxel? o_o I think I might have misunderstood that part in the first place ,_,

also is the part being printed prone to sinking while being printed? o_o

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
In their demonstration, the edges that are formed were the only areas that all three beams went through. If only two beams were needed then the faces would have cured as well. However, I'm sure the curing is a function of both time and power, so you could just turn up the beam power and just require two beams.

But, as I questioned...if there are regular patterns in the structure, I'm wondering if they would be sequentially cured before the resin bath is drained to retrieve the finished part. For instance, a spoked wheel might be able to be formed by curing a pie section of the wheel and subsequent sections could be sequentially cured after to complete the whole wheel. Also, there are some very advance holographic techniques as well as steerable laser arrays that I could imagine being used to create very complex shapes.

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
I mentioned a while ago that I got a 3D printer that was large enough for a whole sff case. Well, I finally have parts together and will be printing and building one soon. I'm starting with a Ryzen 1200 and stock cooler until I am more confident in my printed designs. I am planning to upgrade to a Ryzen 2xxx 8 core when they come out in March, so this will be a mobile workstation for me. It will also use only ITX GPUs to stay under 4 L.

Are there any special considerations to note since the whole case will be 3D printed plastic? I am planning to use PLA and make sure the frame is 4-5mm thick for strength and most of the panels will be 2-3mm.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'd recommend PETg personally, but should be fine. Do your best to keep the load bearing PLA away from hot running components to avoid warping.

Reactions: entropy

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If anyone is keen to print stuff let me know. Just picked up a Markforged Mark Two and will likely be offering a KMPKT printing service for community members in the not too distant future. At this point just taking interest in projects. You can find specs on the unit (including print envelope) here:

https://markforged.com/mark-two/

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Has anyone ever "upgraded" (?) their 3d printer to use as a CNC or a laser cutter? I'm debating on making a modular mount for swapping the end to make my A8 printer into a multi-tool. The A8 isn't the best setup and has some quirks, so I should probably fix those before I try messing with lasers or drilling.