Concept 3D Print CLONE of Ghost S1 with tweaks- not for production!

orbitalwalsh

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
as above, love Loque's Ghost S1, dont like the price or lack of being able to handle a 3 slot GPU , any form of small ATX PSUs or 280 slim AIO to handle the heat of coffeelake without having to delid- or use a slightly larger low profile cooler .

Suggested to Loque that they Steel plate and press and cheaper version for OEM/budget owners- some reason ITX case makers think every ITX owner has a large bank account :(

so, friend should be able to print this off cheaper then the PCEi cable riser....

Unlike Ghost S1, the spine will be in 3 pieces- friend highlighted less error issues and quicker/easier to print if its in parts.
I've just done rough cad models but he'll do proper ones to use for printing . Believe he wants to lock the mobo plate via T piece/slot into the front/back pieces. Sides will be Acrylic and top hats printed. He stated mobo panel will be high heat resistance 115c material and the other parts 60c

Unit will house 280 AIO also CAD model of Alphacools unit was the UT60 280 haha so bottom hat is a little large .
Could only find/make basic models of SFX and small ATX PSU units- work PC is too poor :(

might- just might see if we can squeeze a bitfurcation GPU set up in - might work with Dual slot only cards... :D

See the layout between SFX and ATX PSU

and bequiet 140 fans attached

seems he just landed a job today at a metal press plant ... hahaha

He also has a Zotac gtx 1080 AMP Extreme 11gbps to test if it can house a giant GPU beast :D

again this is a CLONE suited to my needs :) fair play to the stunning design of the Ghost S1!

orbitalwalsh

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
I wish you luck with keeping the price lower than the Loque Ghost S1. Many have traveled the lands of 3D-printing but have come back empty-handed.

Yeah, I'm lucky a friend is doing it and it's just a one off :)
Along with all the 3D work :D

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Suggested to Loque that they Steel plate and press and cheaper version for OEM/budget owners- some reason ITX case makers think every ITX owner has a large bank account
Perhaps you're not aware of this, but the tooling cost for die stamping even a small case like this can reach the $100k range. That means if you* plan on selling it cheaper, you need to be able sell in the tens of thousands of cases. For a brand new case company without an established distribution network, track record, and other resources in place, that's a challenging proposition and a big financial risk. Moreover, since it's no longer using premium materials/construction, there's less to differentiate it from competing products, but you still won't be able to compete on price with them because of things like the PCIe riser and economies of scale that established companies can take advantage of (volume shipping, existing warehousing, distribution, etc).

Anyway, good luck on your project.

*general "you," not you specifically

orbitalwalsh

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Perhaps you're not aware of this, but the tooling cost for die stamping even a small case like this can reach the $100k range. That means if you* plan on selling it cheaper, you need to be able sell in the tens of thousands of cases.

*general "you," not you specifically

Unfortunately yeah, friend designed nanoxia cases way back when .
Think it was more the fact they will never make in steel regardless :/
Just a shame they didn't increase sizing to allow triple slot coolers . Should this to company I assist and said there's no point for computex if it couldn't hold their flag ship card, same with another company friend assists. We've seen the roadmaps this year as well as next gen cooler designs and was a shame. Didn't help cause to try and get the Ghost S1 to computex was effort to fit EVGA card and not the rest .
Do hope they get a case out their for the show ! Would really catch heads, finger crossed Alphacool is a go for it ...

Friend has warned me the finish isn't going to be anywhere near cases produced here, but will do me fine -
Keep on at home if we could print the spine, Front/back one one piece like the S1 but he won't incase of manufacture errors and time ;(
hopefully provide a nudge to get the S1 to allow thicker GPUs :D