Log 16L high end SFF case in wood and aluminium!

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Did you record some temps with the Bequiet fans for comparison?
You are getting really nice ones with the Corsair fans btw!

Looking at the picture, isn't the SSD blocking a lot of the PSU exhaust?
No, the BQ fans didn't seem to work that well with the iCUE software.

The structure you refer to is the mounting bracket I made. I've posted a close up of it before on this blog, but I agree, it looks a bit like an SSD from that angle. The bracket doesn't block the PSU exhaust, fortunately.

Reactions: BaK and rfarmer

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
The structure you refer to is the mounting bracket I made. I've posted a close up of it before on this blog, but I agree, it looks a bit like an SSD from that angle. The bracket doesn't block the PSU exhaust, fortunately.
The mounting bracket! Lol, my bad!

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Okay, I've finally made some progress with my old build. I've made the cutouts for ventilation in the other side panel (quite much work without a CNC ;P).

I was originally planning to use a thin fabric mesh as dust filter, and mount it to the back of the panel, but I think perhaps the GPU fans are a bit too close, and need the cutouts to be unobstructed? I might just place mesh in front of the radiator, since it is rather ugly to look at through the panel.

My plan further is to round off any uneven details, sand and paint the panels.

My thougths thus far is I'm okay with the result. I think I will make another go at the design more similar to the PC I made for my father in law (FarmPC https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/farmpc.18103/). I will have to make it a bit wider though, perhaps 20mm, but that will benefit the intake fans a lot i believe.

I also plan to increase the thickness of the aluminum panels to 2mm (instead of 1mm) to get a bit more rigidity, and potentially use magnets instead of screws for the mounting mechanism.

Cheers Andy:p

Last edited:

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Well, finally I have more or less finished what I started so many months ago...

The only thing that is missing is to swap out those outer screws with some made out of brass metal.

I decided to skip dust filter in front of the GPU, and I might remove the one in front og the rad as well. I don’t think it looks that good with the mesh fabric I ordered.

As I have mentioned before, I think a thin rabbet in the wood surrounding the side panels would look better, and using magnets to fasten the panels instead of screws would put icing on the cake.

Anyhow, here's some more pics, I'll get back with finishing "beauty shots" when I get the brass screws from China in a month or two.

Cheers :D

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Reactions: rfarmer

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Thanks BaK, I ordered both the black and white variant right ahead.

You may have a point when considering the larger cutouts vs the smaller holes, but I don't think I will bother with that now I'm afraid, maybe if I redo the case in the future to encompass the details I've already mentioned ;)

It was a fun little project, and I've learned a lot that will be useful later down the line.

Ameub

Reactions: BaK and rfarmer

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2021
Thanks BaK, I ordered both the black and white variant right ahead.

You may have a point when considering the larger cutouts vs the smaller holes, but I don't think I will bother with that now I'm afraid, maybe if I redo the case in the future to encompass the details I've already mentioned ;)

It was a fun little project, and I've learned a lot that will be useful later down the line.

Ameub

So, my final pictures.

Swapped to black mesh in front of the radiator, and it looks much better.

The temps are good.

CPU max 60°C during a 10 min run with Cinebench

GPU topped out around 70°C running Furmark, while the fan-curve was tuned around 50-60%. As the GPU draws about 420W, the two rear fans really helps pulling out the hot air.

Anyhow, this post wraps it up, so I only want to say thanks for the feedback and other comments from the community.

Cheers!

A;P

Reactions: REVOCCASES and morj

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
So, my final pictures.

Swapped to black mesh in front of the radiator, and it looks much better.
Could be me but only the third pic is displaying.
Black mesh looks good indeed!