First new system in many years.... NCASE M1 v1

YESWEKEN

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019

Finally built a new high end system after almost 9 years away from the hobby. I used a NOS (new-old-stock) Silver NCASE M1 v1, First Edition I had in storage that I got after backing the original Indiegogo campaign in 2013.
Back then I bought one of each color offered thinking I was going to upgrade more frequently. The black NCASE M1 is still running an old Ivy Bridge Core i5 system I migrated into the case back in the day.

Even with all this high end stuff crammed in, the layout is surprisingly roomy and no bunched up cables between the radiator fans and the components. Lots of unblocked/line-of-sight airflow between the radiator and the cpu/mem/mobo/psu. I just used the cables that came with the Corsair PSU, the platinum series PSUs come with extremely high quality cables, I was very impressed. Just took some work routing everything.

The only snag I ran into was that I messed up plugging in the front USB 3 header and messed up a pin on the motherboard. The front USB 3 cable and plug are so thick and more difficult than I remember to plug into a densely packed motherboard.
I realized don't need or use front I/O anyways so I just removed the cables and ports from the front of the case, so now I have USB A and mini-jack shaped ventilation holes .

I seriously hope that the new front I/O setup for the V6 will be eventually be sold separately so I can get that clean, power-button-only look on the front. If I didn't have this first-edition M1 sitting around, I would have totally purchased the v6. Great case, thanks wahaha360 and Necere for all the work that went into it.

Specs:
NCASE M1 First Edition (Silver)
Core i9 9900K
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB CL 14-14-14-34
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390i
NZXT KRAKEN X52
CORSAIR SF750 750 Watt PSU
CORSAIR MP510 1920GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti FE
2 x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM Fans

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

YESWEKEN

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
So with an ambient temperature of about 26 C, my system idles at an average of 37 C.
Under a Prime 95 CPU stress test load, temps seem to top out at an average of 58 C. When I use the Intel extreme tuner software to stress the CPU, it will hit a 64 C average.

The GPU will idle at 45 C and top out at about 74 C when running benchmarks like Superposition and Heaven.
These temps are way better than I ever expected from an ITX build, but the 240 AIOmounted in the NCase seems to be working perfectly, the left side of the case is actually cold while the right side gets very hot. Thinking of fitting some exhaust fans somewhere.

If I do a basic 50 multiplier overclock to the 9900K, temps will shoot up to about 85 C for the CPU under load, GPU temps go up about 2 C across the board, most likely due to the temperature in the case being warmer.

Never undervolted before but I think that will definitely be necessary to tweak things further. I see a lot of overclocking guides out there but I cant seem to find anything in depth on undervolting, so taking my time with this. At stock the system seems fast enough for work, and more than enough for games.

KronDestroyer13

Trash Compacter
Oct 28, 2019
I wanted to go with a M1 but couldn't wait any longer for the v6 so I'm grabbing a sliger sm580. A little bigger but I think it's a underrated sff case. Really good looking build man. I'll eventually buy my self a v6 and do a custom loop. But you dont think I'll need the 750w with everything OCed? What monitor do you have? I'm prob going to grab a alienware ultrawide myself if I can find one again for 650.

YESWEKEN

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
I'd say maybe if you've got a serious watercooling system and pushing an aggressive overclock 24/7 maaaybe you'd need the 750.
But if you get the 750 for any reason, I think it should be for possible future upgrades. If you change to a new platform or beefier video card down the line, the extra headroom can't hurt and a PSU can last you a few platform/video card changes...