1440p Monitor

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Hey! I'm new to computers and I just finished my S4 Mini build (still waiting on the PSU but everything else is ready) but I need a monitor. I have a Macbook Pro Retina 13 I use for daily work and I absolutely love the display. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a 1440p G-Sync display? I wasn't able to figure out whether I wanted a TN/IPS/VA panel because I'm using it for both work and gaming. I also have no idea what refresh rate I should get (I was thinking maybe +100hz?). Any ideas? (Ultrawide is ok but it's usually too expensive)

System Specs:
Intel i5-7600K
MSI 1070 Aero ITX
G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz

Reactions: Biowarejak

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
_My_ TL;DR two-bit opinions

1. Gsync/FreeSync is awesome for gaming, and "worth it."
2. TN panels suck so bad I can't even.
3. Fast refresh rates are excuses to sell TN panels and make more money (I know, I know, harsh...sorry)
4. IPS is good, I hear VA is great but no long term experience with it.
5. 2560x1440 is my sweet spot res right now. 4K just was not worth the tradeoffs for me but was cool for photo editing.
6. You will keep your monitor for a long time. I would put the money into getting something perfect for you.

Thought dump:

I've had the luxury of getting to use a bunch of different monitors. I know some gamers love high refresh rate monitors, and I get it. But the tradeoffs for a TN panel is just not worth it to me. If I was into competitive shooters then I would. Don't get me wrong, I love CSGO and Overwatch, but 60hz is fine for me and frame syncing is glorious. Gsync is incredible and I prefer it to Freesync, but it is more money and its not much better. Colors and eveness in lighting really supper matter to me. I don't know if you have a Frys or Microcenter or something where you could go look and see the monitor before dropping a bunch of cash on one.

Finally, if you do go with a TN display...not all TN displays are created equal. Same for IPS or anything else. I have a really high end TN display that is perfectly acceptable to me for gaming, but I hate it for photo work. Now I use it for testing systems. My current pro-art IPS monitor though is awesome for me and I love it.

GOOD LUCK

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
What's the budget? (Judging from your component choices, you're willing to spend for value, but there's a limit to how high-end you 'll go.)

Features adds cost, so you'll need to justify to yourself:
Why G-sync?
Why high-refresh frequency?
Why 1440p?
What size display (size is measured corner to opposite corner on the diagonal)?

Let your search engine of choice be your guide. Read reviews (professional and owner).

For me, as I mention in my build log, I went with the all-around value 24-inch monitor recommendation of wirecutter.com (Dell U2415, 1920x1200) to match my 1060. For 27-inch monitors, they recommend the HPZ27n ($500) or the BenQ GW2765HT ($330).
See the article here (alot of review sites use affiliate links, fair warning): http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-27-inch-monitor/
Tom's Hardware published a roundup of their picks for gaming monitors recently here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-monitors,4533.html

Depending on where your monitor will sit, height-wise, on your desk, consider getting a monitor arm or stand. I bought this ( www.amazon.com/Allsop-Adjustable-Adjustments-Non-Skid-31630/dp/B01C09ZSNM/ ) for my desk at home and I LOVE it.

Hope this was helpful to you.

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Thanks for the advice! To be honest I'm not much of a stickler for fast refresh rates or even notice them that much. I'm so desperate to finish this build (I've been playing overwatch on my mac at a glorious 10fps at low settings) for around a year and a half now).

I really care about resolution because I have a 1080p monitor I tested it on now and I can see a lot of blurring and pixels. I really am looking for a 27in 1440p IPS with G-Sync and all other things are secondary. I'm hoping to keep it under $400-500 just because I kinda went over budget building the system with PSU failure and buying a graphics card during the shortage.

I was looking at the Dell S2716DG which is a 1440p/TN/144hz panel because it's pretty inexpensive (comparatively) and has decent reviews. I really liked the Asus PG279Q but it's way too expensive

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Here are my two picks then:

23" Gsync and 165hz (your pick)

27" ProArt monitor

That ASUS is one of my monitors. It was a very expensive monitor but it has come down. Boring stats, but I use this monitor more than my others because the viewing angle with color accuracy is outstanding. The stand is also really amazing for a monitor stand. Super easily adjustable and has height and orientation.

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Here are my two picks then:

23" Gsync and 165hz (your pick)

27" ProArt monitor

That ASUS is one of my monitors. It was a very expensive monitor but it has come down. Boring stats, but I use this monitor more than my others because the viewing angle with color accuracy is outstanding. The stand is also really amazing for a monitor stand. Super easily adjustable and has height and orientation.

I was actually looking at that Dell monitor but wasn't sure because it was also a TN panel. I was also hoping to use this monitor for work, and I was hoping 27'' would be more suited for the long run. Is there that large of a difference between the 24'' and the 27''?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
It really comes down to the games you play, because an IPS panel is going to offer a superior experience in every way unless you are big on FPS gaming at a competitive level (TN panel). The difference still matters for that purpose, but otherwise, go IPS all the way if you can afford it. They are more expensive but you will appreciate it.

For extremely in depth monitor reviews, I recommend this site:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

Last edited: