Log 10900k + 2080 Super / Ncase M1 / Air Cooled / Build Complete Log

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Welcome to my build log.

I will add updates below as Spoilers with date of update. Photos included.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut 1 g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z490I UNIFY Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Custom: Ncase M1 V6.1

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-04 19:18 EDT-0400

I have roughly 1TB of pertinent data. I always try to maintain redundant storage drives for this data.
My current solution for this is having two 2.5" HDDs, in Raid 1 (mirroring). I'm letting Windows 10 handle this.
I couldn't find a good way to mount these drives with the included brackets. I wanted them on the front panel of the case - not inside the case. So I had to get very high tech to get the job done. Glue gun!

After some tweaking and tuning - I learned that I don't have a great chip. It needs over 1.5 volts to run 5.3ghz all core. Any less voltage than that it can only run 4.8 all core. 1.5 volts is extremely hot. I can run it at 1.26 volts to maintain a stable 4.8 ghz.

My current stable setup is at 1.26v core volts.
Prime 95 torture test results:
4.8 All Average Core Clock Speed
5.1 Single Core Average Clock Speed
70 C Average Temps
150-160 Watts

Temps don't change much if I run Heaven + Prime95.
CPU hovers around 70C and GPU around 60C.

Benchmark results based on these settings:

The only thing that didn't go according to plan was the 2nd fan on the left side didn't fit because the PSU is mounted in the alternate way to allow the C14S/140mm fan to fit. Instead, I installed the 2nd fan on the right side panel with two nuts and bolts. This pulls fresh air in now.

All parts arrived:

Pre-fitment and testing:

You can see the fan on the back panel if you look through - between PSU and CPU cooler:

Fan mounted through right panel with only 2 nuts and bolts. it is very sturdy. Easy to disconnect if I need to remove the panel with plenty of slack:

Guts:

Almost done:

Obligatory can photo. I should have wiped it down first!:
Build is complete. Here are some basic bench-marking results. I did what I know how, which isn't a lot. I'm open to try other settings and test methods.

BIOS settings:
All core ratio: 5.1, dynamic
Per core ratio: 5.3 on two best, 5.1 on rest, dynamic
Long duration watts max: 200 watts
Short duration watts max: 250 watts
Max current: 255 amps

I chose these power settings because I don't feel comfortable with the unlimited power draw at default.

Everything else is set to auto, letting bios handle the voltage and clock speeds dynamically.

Ambient temp 22 C

Prime 95 - All Core Blend Test
At max power draw, it is able to sustain 4.3 mhz.
Max temps reach 71 C
Average temps 64 C

Heaven Benchmark
Max benchmark settings. 1440P

Max temps reach 74 C
Average temps 64 C

Fan max RPM 2240
Fan avg RPM 1575

GPU Power Draw Max 254 watts
GPU Power Draw Avg 168 watts

GPU Clock max 1965
GPU Clock avg 1800
GPU Mem max 7751
GPU Mem avg 7700

Combined Prime 95 + Heaven

GPU got up to 72C, no problems here.
CPU was pulling 260 watts, got over 100 C and thermal throttled.
This proved too much for the air cooled setup.
This is my proposed airflow and fan setup:

Bottom intake will be two standard Noctua fans combined with GPU fans.
92MM Rear intake.
C14S cooler will have 140MM fan pushing from motherboard area out to the left side of the case.
Two more 120mm thin Noctua fans will pull air from inside of the case and out the left side. The left fan will support cooling the C14S.

Finally!
10900K shipped out today with 2 day shipping.
Motherboard shipped out yesterday - regular shipping from my own state.
Both have arrival ETA of Friday 26th.

These are the final components for my build. It has been about a month and half since I started buying the components.

I was on preorder lists for the motherboard through BH and the CPU through shopBLT. Both of them missed their ETAs, and I ended up picking them both up from Newegg. The motherboard became available yesterday. The CPU had a couple minute window of "in stock" and I was lucky to grab it. I'd missed the window several times before between adding to cart and checking out.
I cancelled my preorders from the other vendors as they both missed their ETAs by quite a bit.

I'm definitely excited!
I received the case in the mail yesterday. I'm very happy with it.
I am still waiting for the motherboard and CPU. All the other components have already arrived.
As it stands now, I expect to receive the motherboard on June 29th and CPU by 30th. But the ETA has been shifting further on these since the day I ordered them.

I will also say that in the meantime I put the 2080 super in my old rig with the new 144hz monitor and I love them both! I was concerned that 1440p would make things too small - but it is perfect. I appreciate the extra desktop real estate, and I can see I definitely wouldn't have wanted 4k.

My current feeling is that I am happy that I remained patient and stuck with the original game plan. I kept wanting to hurry this along and switch to a Ryzen build. I am very happy that the MSI z490i board will give me full functionality of the front I/O and also thunderbolt 3. That was the selling point for me so I waited.

I have nothing interesting to show yet so here are a couple of photos of my M1.

Finally received the elusive SF750 power supply. It was difficult to track down and purchase at retail price.
6/14/2020 Update.

Preparing for build. I set up a work area to store components for the meantime. I expect to receive the power supply today as well.

Work Table:

Components received as of 6/14/2020:

Expected Arrival Dates:

Electrostatic Wristband - Grounded through wall outlet. Tested for continuity of my screw-plug setup with digital meter. Don't try this if you don't understand electricity:

Last edited:

JakesiK

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 8, 2020
Shes going to be a beast!?

Can’t get my hands a 10900k anywhere lol and did you pre order the MSI mobo from bhphoto? I’m working on an identical build but debating if I want to hold out for NVIDIA 3000 series.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Double check your SF750 to make sure its lot code does not fall into this range:- 194448xx to 201148xx

Sure like to see how the C14S cools a 10900K in a M1.
I myself have yet to decide between a 10900K and a 10700K.

kiehl

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2020
Double check your SF750 to make sure its lot code does not fall into this range:- 194448xx to 201148xx

I have same decision to do. I'm mostly using pc for gaming and some coding so 10 cores won't be used. However I would like once have an i9 :p

nineapple

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 20, 2020
Hi,
I am also planning to build a new PC without AIO.
Did you check the NH-C14S on noctua web site ? it is marked as "medium turbo/overclocking headroom " for 10900K
Also, if you set up as high clearance mode, the total high will be 142mm , and may not fit in M1

I checked the NH-U9S, it is also marked as "medium turbo/overclocking headroom " for 10900K, not ideal for 10900K.
Cheers

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Several of you asked if the C14S will fit the MSI board.
I still haven't received the motherboard or the CPU. Everything else, including the case, has already arrived.

I don't see why the C14S should not fit this build, since it fits other builds - but best I can do is update you once I finally receive the parts.

And as far as I know - based on testing - C14S is the best air cooler for this case.

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Added an update to the original post:

"6/23/2020 Ncase M1 has arrived and some updates"

Last edited:

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020

I saw the news update about Corsair recalls also. First thing I did was make sure I didn't get a PSU from that batch. Fortunately mine is 2017xxxxx. Thanks for checking anyway.

I decided 10900k over 10700K for several reasons.
I assume the 10900K will get the best bins. 10900 has better advertised single core turbo 5.3ghz vs 5.1ghz. Probably same for two best cores.
If I am justifying the Intel build over AMD, I should at least get the most cores available to compete in multi-core department as well.
Based on my needs, I will benefit greatly from high single core speed. I will benefit greatly from high 2 - 4 core speeds. I will occasionally (but less frequently) benefit from high core count.

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Original post update. 6/24/2020 CPU and Motherboard shipped out from vendors!

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Build is complete. Here are some basic bench-marking results. I did what I know how, which isn't a lot. I'm open to try other settings and test methods.

BIOS settings:
All core ratio: 5.1, dynamic
Per core ratio: 5.3 on two best, 5.1 on rest, dynamic
Long duration watts max: 200 watts
Short duration watts max: 250 watts
Max current: 255 amps

I chose these power settings because I don't feel comfortable with the unlimited power draw at default.

Everything else is set to auto, letting bios handle the voltage and clock speeds dynamically.

Ambient temp 22 C

Prime 95 - All Core Blend Test
At max power draw, it is able to sustain 4.3 mhz.
Max temps reach 71 C
Average temps 64 C

Heaven Benchmark
Max benchmark settings. 1440P

Max temps reach 74 C
Average temps 64 C

Fan max RPM 2240
Fan avg RPM 1575

GPU Power Draw Max 254 watts
GPU Power Draw Avg 168 watts

GPU Clock max 1965
GPU Clock avg 1800
GPU Mem max 7751
GPU Mem avg 7700

Combined Prime 95 + Heaven

GPU got up to 72C, no problems here.
CPU was pulling 260 watts, got over 100 C and thermal throttled.
This proved too much for the air cooled setup.

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
The only thing that didn't go according to plan was the 2nd fan on the left side didn't fit because the PSU is mounted in the alternate way to allow the C14S/140mm fan to fit. Instead, I installed the 2nd fan on the right side panel with two nuts and bolts. This pulls fresh air in now.

All parts arrived:

Pre-fitment and testing:

You can see the fan on the back panel if you look through - between PSU and CPU cooler:

Fan mounted through right panel with only 2 nuts and bolts. it is very sturdy. Easy to disconnect if I need to remove the panel with plenty of slack:

Guts:

Almost done:

Obligatory can photo. I should have wiped it down first!:

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
After some tweaking and tuning - I learned that I don't have a great chip. It needs over 1.5 volts to run 5.3ghz all core. Any less voltage than that it can only run 4.8 all core. 1.5 volts is extremely hot. I can run it at 1.26 volts to maintain a stable 4.8 ghz.

My current stable setup is at 1.26v core volts.
Prime 95 torture test results:
4.8 All Average Core Clock Speed
5.1 Single Core Average Clock Speed
70 C Average Temps
150-160 Watts

Temps don't change much if I run Heaven + Prime95.
CPU hovers around 70C and GPU around 60C.

Benchmark results based on these settings:

Last edited:

FuzionReaktor

Cable Smoosher
Jun 19, 2020
Hard to see with the pictures so I wanted to ask, did you remove the fans from your 2080S and left it shroudless for the Noctuas or did you leave it as is? If so, do you get any turbulence by having the fans be exhausts?

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Hard to see with the pictures so I wanted to ask, did you remove the fans from your 2080S and left it shroudless for the Noctuas or did you leave it as is? If so, do you get any turbulence by having the fans be exhausts?
I did not remove the fans or shroud. Left as is.

The GPU fans and lower fans are both intakes. Pushing outside air into the GPU. There is no turbulence.

The case has a lot of positive air pressure so I am not worried about the hot air from the GPU going into the case. As you can see from my other posts, thermals are quite good for this setup.

ghop

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 26, 2020
My storage solution.
I have roughly 1TB of pertinent data. I always try to maintain redundant storage drives for this data.
My current solution for this is having two 2.5" HDDs, in Raid 1 (mirroring). I'm letting Windows 10 handle this.
I couldn't find a good way to mount these drives with the included brackets. I wanted them on the front panel of the case - not inside the case. So I had to get very high tech to get the job done. Glue gun!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Aren't those Seagate 2TB 7mm? If so they should fit behind the front panel using the stacking bracket.

Reactions: ghop