News NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Watched the Gamers Nexus presentation and it seems Nvidia announced a lot more - GTX 1060 and 1080 are getting some new SKU's for memory overclocking and faster GDDR5 (9000mhz). Also 1070 and 1080 are getting hefty price cuts. With Vega is coming soon I guess Nvidia is re-aligning the prices to match AMD's upcoming cards. Does this mean the RX 570 will be closer GTX 1060 performance, and RX 580 will be closer to the 1070?

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Yes, banish the obsolete connectors! Though we're still stuck with HDMI rather than adding a fourth DP++ port (which can also output native HDMI via passive adapter).

Looking forward to getting one of these (depending on FE supply in the UK). Looks like Nvidia will be dropping FE price to match normal RRP too, which is nice for us if not for the vendors selling their own designs in direct competition.

Probably not much chance of a 'short' version of the 1080ti. Even without the extra power phases over the 1080, those extra GDDR5x chips are going to crowd out the board.

Reactions: LocoMoto

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Heh, I wonder if the cooler improvements being claimed are the result of ~50% of the exhaust being unblocked.

With the same TDP as Titan XP, maybe it's possible to run the fan a bit quieter and still have reasonable temps.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Yes, banish the obsolete connectors! Though we're still stuck with HDMI rather than adding a fourth DP++ port (which can also output native HDMI via passive adapter).

Imagine the future where all every card has is 4 DP. Mmmmm. Future.

Gonna probably buy one of these to shove in my FNW Tiki. Have been waiting for this and it looks to be everything I might want. Imagine how the people who bought a Titan XP last week feel...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
This GTX 1080Ti is really, really promising.

Definitely I prefer to go for 1xGTX 1080 ti instead of sli of GTX 1070 for my Cerberus-X.

Now the hardest point will be to wait for :
  • Cerberus-X itself..:D
  • Vega release (just to see competition effect...with some price discount)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
*reading glasses*
The site says the case is actually aluminium. Are the others made out of aluminium as well? o_o

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A lot of oomph for the price, even the GTX 1080 becomes more interesting ! Too bad AMD didn't have anything concrete to show. While the hype is proving to be real for AMD CPUs, the GPUs seem to have boarded a train too early with it seeming more likely we won't see anything before Q2.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
A lot of oomph for the price, even the GTX 1080 becomes more interesting ! Too bad AMD didn't have anything concrete to show. While the hype is proving to be real for AMD CPUs, the GPUs seem to have boarded a train too early with it seeming more likely we won't see anything before Q2.

IIRC, some footage AMD showed off for Vega a while back had Doom performing with FPS ≃ a regular 1080, so that's not super promising, at least...

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I personally think that AMD just doesn't want to show their cards too early. It would only hurt them if they divulged all the information and gave Nvidia a 3 month headstart to shape the market and adjust prices. This gives AMD an idea of the pricepoint that they will need to sell the card at in order to offer their traditionally better price:performance ratio.

If anything, this announcement has just made me more excited to see the inevitable 1080ti K|ngp|n editions :)

Anyway, I'm not in a rush to buy a GPU (I am actually, so I'm just saying that to make myself feel better) so I will wait until VEGA comes out to see how they compare.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I personally think that AMD just doesn't want to show their cards too early.

This, pretty much. They have no competitive advantage in disclosing early. Maybe a week or two before you can give them money, they'll disclose - but up to that point speculative expectations will let them stall those who might otherwise just go ahead and buy an nVidia card.

Reactions: Soul_Est

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
They do have the 'early buyer' market to lose: a new flagship card without even an announced rival will draw buyers, who are unlikely to jump ship for an equivalent-or-slightly0better card only a couple of months afterward.