What did you do today?

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Today I slept for more than half the day after pulling an all nighter because of my job. Now I'm at my night job, currently on my lunch break.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe you're already a brain in a jar, maybe we all are :eek:
Jars are inefficient, we could do better. But then the question would be: would be collectively live in this state (like The Matrix), or would we all be living our own version ? I'm about to pop an eye-vein thinking about this, I'm going to just waste my time with something stupid.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'd be perfectly happy to retire to a customised virtual environment if a whole body replacement is not available by then. Minimal resource use, arbitrary 'physical' ability, and extended useful longevity.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
But then the question would be: would be collectively live in this state (like The Matrix), or would we all be living our own version ?

I guess it would depend on the reason for the simulation. If it's to maximize personal attainment then individual versions makes more sense.

Minimal resource use, arbitrary 'physical' ability, and extended useful longevity.

Yup, Earth's resources are finite so it makes much more sense.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm continuing my job search for a web developer job. My most current offer, while it wasn't reneged or turned to a definite "no", was being put on the fence :( The company owner says he needs at least a few weeks more time to make office arrangements for employees.

So, still need to find a place to make websites for...

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
This one is available as soon as I can start, if I am successful :) (3-4 weeks notice at current job :( )
That's great! Sorry about the mandatory notice but at least you are moving onto bigger and better things. right?

so last night i knocked out a quick script to generate a video from my dump1090 instance. today i left it running for a bit. This is what i got:

--snip--
Nice!

Went and got beat up by the physical therapist again. Couple more weeks of appointments until surgery number two...followed by six more week (minimum) of appointments at physical therapy...

Yayyyy.
You will get through this.

I've been there... Years ago, I applied for a PC technician function, basically fixing, installing and building PCs all day long <3. The first day of training for their software (logging every single thing), they asked me to do sales in the store for the first few weeks. The next day, they said I'd need to be doing the store thing for a few months because someone was sick. And out the front door I went.
Both are NSFW:

Got the biopsy results from my gastroscopy, confirming no sign of oesophageal cancer. No sign of Barrett's oesophagus developing either, so hopefully I can dodge that particular risk factor with Proton Pump Inhibitors.
Here's hoping.

Well that's good! I started taking Nexium recently to combat some Acid Reflux I was having. Hopefully it stays that way.
Agreed.

Well I liked it a lot, still do and am doing in some form now. I've never had a huge issue dealing with people, I know many people in sales or support get burnt-out or lose all faith in humanity, but I'm a very patient man with a nack for insight into people's trains-of-thought, allowing me to relativise a lot of stuff others would take personally or would flip out over.

It also helps being comforting about the situation, the people will reward you by generally being much calmer and open to your problem-fixin'. Up to a point that I'm suspecting they're calling me when they are over-stressed ("oh look, now it's fixed, strange how that always happens when I call you"). I'm expecting to be the office Jesus in 3 years, where I'll spread my SFF gospel onto the believers.
This is how I've been until I noticed that certain people took advantage of it. I stopped that right quick. Only for those I truly care about now.

I'm continuing my job search for a web developer job. My most current offer, while it wasn't reneged or turned to a definite "no", was being put on the fence :( The company owner says he needs at least a few weeks more time to make office arrangements for employees.

So, still need to find a place to make websites for...
I feel for you. Have you tried freelancing sites such as Elance or Hired?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I am still trying to get over this case of vertigo. I need to destress and incorporate healthier habits into my life. Too bad I have much to stress about.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is how I've been until I noticed that certain people took advantage of it. I stopped that right quick. Only for those I truly care about now.
I get by being completely emotionally detached from all my co-workers. They could all die in a fire tomorrow, I would probably worry about having to handle all the phone calls alone. I did care about colleagues in the past, but I've gotten burnt too many times and now work is work, nothing more. I'll do my job, I'll do it responsibly and with high input, but I totally don't care about their personal lives.

And this makes me able to also stop immediately when people are abusing my patience.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Being stuck at hospital for a month, my days consist in:
  • Reading
  • Listening to music
  • Exercising (sit-ups, squats, pushups)
  • IRC with my friends
  • Practicing Japanese
Also started to work on a game project that I'll share with you a little later once it matured.

This will more or less replace the (micro)topia project.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They could all die in a fire tomorrow, I would probably worry about having to handle all the phone calls alone.

Reactions: CXH4 and Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I get by being completely emotionally detached from all my co-workers. They could all die in a fire tomorrow, I would probably worry about having to handle all the phone calls alone. I did care about colleagues in the past, but I've gotten burnt too many times and now work is work, nothing more. I'll do my job, I'll do it responsibly and with high input, but I totally don't care about their personal lives.

And this makes me able to also stop immediately when people are abusing my patience.
That is still my issue. I care too much. Hopefully I'll find either a happy medium or like yourself, total detachment.

Being stuck at hospital for a month, my days consist in:
  • Reading
  • Listening to music
  • Exercising (sit-ups, squats, pushups)
  • IRC with my friends
  • Practicing Japanese
Also started to work on a game project that I'll share with you a little later once it matured.

This will more or less replace the (micro)topia project.
I would offer to study and practice Japanese with you but I have no idea what level you're at (I'm a beginner). What genres to do you read and listen to?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I would offer to study and practice Japanese with you but I have no idea what level you're at (I'm a beginner).

I'm a complete rookie :D.

What genres to do you read and listen to?

My reading tastes:
  • Technical (eletronic, computing, woodworking, sewing, drawing, etc.)
  • Myth and civilizations
  • Short texts (Poe, Lovecraft, etc.)
My music tastes:
  • Metal
  • Jazz
  • Blue
  • Classical
  • Female vocals
  • Instrumental

Reactions: Soul_Est and CXH4

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I feel for you. Have you tried freelancing sites such as Elance or Hired?

I've tried Elance and another freelancing website but those require a different kind of hustling of retaining/getting more clients than working a desk job for a single employer. I'm not too good at lead generation and the route to stability is longer when you freelance.

Hired is different- it's not a freelancing site but a job placement site where candidate searchers attempt to match you up with companies that might fit your skill set. I've had phone interviews with two companies from Hired but they didn't proceed further.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I'm a complete rookie :D.

My reading tastes:
  • Technical (eletronic, computing, woodworking, sewing, drawing, etc.)
  • Myth and civilizations
  • Short texts (Poe, Lovecraft, etc.)
My music tastes:
  • Metal
  • Jazz
  • Blue
  • Classical
  • Female vocals
  • Instrumental
I would be honoured to be your study buddy if you'd like.

I've tried Elance and another freelancing website but those require a different kind of hustling of retaining/getting more clients than working a desk job for a single employer. I'm not too good at lead generation and the route to stability is longer when you freelance.

Hired is different- it's not a freelancing site but a job placement site where candidate searchers attempt to match you up with companies that might fit your skill set. I've had phone interviews with two companies from Hired but they didn't proceed further.
I am sorry to read that. If you'd like, you could apply to work remotely with either Basecamp (https://weworkremotely.com) or Buffer (https://buffer.com/journey).