Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Made an account on this forum just to reply to you :)

Apparently a user on twitter managed to somehow fit the NH-L12s within the 66m threshold. Not yet tested with a case I think.

a few people have done this. it should work fine.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
a few people have done this. it should work fine.
This is the first time I've seen this done on the L12S.
My question is, what is the height of the other end of this heatsink where the curved pipes first meet the fins, because that's where most of the pressure and height limitation is.
More pics?

Even with 27mm of RAM clearance, you still won't be able to fit one of THE MOST popular low profile ram for sff: Corsair Vengeance LPX (31mm).

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
My question is, what is the height of the other end of this heatsink where the curved pipes first meet the fins, because that's where most of the pressure and height limitation is.
More pics?

Even with 27mm of RAM clearance, you still won't be able to fit one of THE MOST popular low profile ram for sff: Corsair Vengeance LPX (31mm).
i know i saw one modder do it on the louqe slack and the other one was on cowcotland. i can't find the links right now but i'll update this post when i do. the kind of person who is modding the l12s instead of buying the l12 is probably the type of person that is putting a 120x25mm fan underneath and willing to buy vlp ram.

here's a hardware.fr post about it: https://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/Boitier/unique-louqe-ghost-sujet_1026214_2.htm#t10331542

if you sand it down, ram clearance stays the same and temperatures are only negligibly affected.

now that i look at it, it's probably the same guy from cowcotland and maybe even the same guy from slack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hissitx and SeeFiFo

Krakyn

Cable Smoosher
Oct 20, 2018
Unsure if this is allowed here, but I'd be interested in buying someone's round 1 Louqe Ghost if they have decided they no longer want it for whatever reason. Would pay the full order price.

I'm in Australia, so would ideally be looking for Aussie sellers.

Prefer Ash (Black) with no tophat, but would consider buying with tophat. Contact me here or on reddit (/u/Krakyn - various confirmed trades). Thanks!

Tech_Guy

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
More pics?

Fan damps are 1 mm in that picthures take that away its 28 mm clearance and should be the same on old NH-L12 than you must add CPU Socket + Cpu height and memory without metall is 30-31 mm so must fit i think ?

Saici

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Unsure if this is allowed here, but I'd be interested in buying someone's round 1 Louqe Ghost if they have decided they no longer want it for whatever reason. Would pay the full order price.

Prefer Ash (Black) with no tophat, but would consider buying with tophat. Contact me here or on reddit (/u/Krakyn - various confirmed trades). Thanks!

There's a dedicated forum section for these types of listings you can find here: Buy/Sell/Trade

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018

They are taking orders for the second batch right now on Louqe's own site. All colors are available. Will ship in January.

Krakyn

Cable Smoosher
Oct 20, 2018
They are taking orders for the second batch right now on Louqe's own site. All colors are available. Will ship in January.

Thanks. Had noticed that but thought I'd give buying a round 1 case a shot beforehand.

Few questions that I'd appreciate if somebody could answer. Haven't been able to find this info online:
  1. Any idea when round 2 orders will close? Would rather wait to see the first batch arrive and hear reviews before ordering.
  2. Is the Noctua L12 still the best available/suitable air cooling solution? Got that info from the website, but not sure how long ago the tests were done.
  3. Any official word on dust filters/when Demcifilter will have them available?
  4. If full production is reached after this next round, do you think the price will be further increased, unchanged, or decreased?
Cheers!

Reactions: Beardedswede

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Thanks. Had noticed that but thought I'd give buying a round 1 case a shot beforehand.

Few questions that I'd appreciate if somebody could answer. Haven't been able to find this info online:
  1. Any idea when round 2 orders will close? Would rather wait to see the first batch arrive and hear reviews before ordering.
  2. Is the Noctua L12 still the best available/suitable air cooling solution? Got that info from the website, but not sure how long ago the tests were done.
  3. Any official word on dust filters/when Demcifilter will have them available?
  4. If full production is reached after this next round, do you think the price will be further increased, unchanged, or decreased?
Cheers!

1. Personally not sure on a hard date. But they’ll probably give a cutoff date soon before production starts.

2. Yes. The L12 is still the best overall option depending on its availability in your region. The air cooler results are still reliable.

3. All addons are shelved until further notice to prioritize the manufacture and shipping of the cases.

4. Hard to say. My guess is that it will increase due to increased manufacturing costs and tariffs in the new year. But Patrik did briefly mention that after the first 2 batches are out, they might revisit searching for a new manufacturer. Probably due to all the delays with the current manufacturer and the arctic white let down. So it could swing either way.

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Has anyone tested the Noctua L9i with the fan blowing AWAY from the heatsink instead of blowing down on the cpu?

Not that I've seen. I plan to give this a try with my L9x65 when my Ghost comes in. I'm planning to have my medium tophat with 2x120 fans pushing air into the case from the bottom. I'll let you know how it goes.

Randolf

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2018
Dear Community, I'm new to PC building and have selected my components for the build. I'm looking to do 1440p gaming mostly, and was wondering if there's anything overkill/insufficient, or if this build would work at all ? Particularly with the Asus Z390i, it has a big heatsink, would it interfere with the Noctua L12 ? Thank you for your help
My Build:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive + Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Videocard: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 TURBO 8GB Video Card (blower style)
Powersupply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Extra Fan: Noctua L12 120mm fan below the PSU

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Dear Community, I'm new to PC building and have selected my components for the build. I'm looking to do 1440p gaming mostly, and was wondering if there's anything overkill/insufficient, or if this build would work at all ? Particularly with the Asus Z390i, it has a big heatsink, would it interfere with the Noctua L12 ? Thank you for your help
My Build:
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive + Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Powersupply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
IF you wanna make it more affordable, get a 1080 or such, RTX will take years before its implemented properly. You can use your 1080/1070 a few years before you switch, and then the new RTX will be a lot better. So that's what I would do.
And I would go for a non-blower style. they are more quite and they works great in the case.

NVME M.2 is overkill, most people dont feel or see any difference. You can save your money on that one. and jsut have a Sata SSD:

you could upgrade the CPU to the 9th gen but it's not much difference.
Otherwise it looks good.

Reactions: Randolf

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
My Build:

Ok, in my opinion you're spending a ton of money, especially where you don't need it. Plotted in to PCPartpicker.au, you'll be spending $2600 AUD. For the same price you could get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($324.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.00 @ Umart)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($200.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($249.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($119.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($229.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card ($704.66 @ Amazon Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($159.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $2069.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-23 22:12 AEDT+1100

• CPU: 2600X will be plenty enough for your build. It's more than $100, freeing up money for the rest of your build. It runs at almost the same base frequency, and it has twice the threads.
  • Motherboard: Another benefit with a Ryzen 5, is that a B450 board will be plenty enough for your needs. It supports overclocking and has plenty of features. My board of choice would be the ASRock board, but you could also go with either the MSi (strong VRM's for OC'ing), Aorus (front mounted M.2 for better thermals) or Asus (the best all around and dual M.2 slots). ASRock has a slightly better soundcard and USB C compared to the MSi, less BIOS issues compared to the Aorus (for what I've heard) and it's a fair bit cheaper than the Asus.
  • RAM: Bumped the RAM up to 3200 mhz. Slightly more expensive, but it's not too bad. 3200 mhz should be optimal for Ryzen, which really benefits from fast RAM.
  • SSD's: In everyday use and gaming you will not feel any noticeable difference going with an NVMe drive, compared to a SATA. What you will get is a lot more heat off the NVMe if you push it. I've gone with a SATA M.2 and a SATA 2.5", which also frees up a significant chunk of change.
  • Graphics card: "Downgraded" to a 1080. The performance will be virtually the same, and RTX is not utilized in any games and it looks like the 2070 will run RTX games at a terrible frame rate. Wait for the next generation with RTX cards. Saves another chunk of change.
This frees up more than $500 with no hits to actual performance. That's what I would do.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
imo, he split the SSD into a boot drive (NVME) and general game / fast storage (1TB sata). I would ditch both and stick to 1 or even 2TB SATA m.2. I would also pick an Asus B450-i for the extra m.2 slot so that you can add as needed in the future. I would avoid even having one 2.5" form factor SSD if possible. I would avoid that extra data connector and chunky sata power connector.

Reactions: Randolf and Skarum

Krakyn

Cable Smoosher
Oct 20, 2018
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions from the previous post. Some info below that might help others looking to buy:

I was really tempted to join Round 2 and then reanodize my case, since I'm set on having a case that is coloured grey (similar to the anthracite grey that Phanteks offers). I actually emailed LOUQE, who very professionally responded very quickly. Pretty much they informed me that it would be very difficult to disassemble the panels so that they can be reanodized: "The side panels and gables have helicoils as threads and the gables have pressed in magnets, disassembling the helicoils is possible with a special tool but removing the magnets will be very tricky."

Knowing this, I've decided it's not worth the effort/risk to try this myself. I suggested to LOUQE that they consider adding a grey version in future runs, and they acknowledged this suggestion in their response, citing that grey has been a popular request. I'd be quick to buy one if this happens in the future, but for now I won't spend this much money on a case that's not exactly what I want.

Also, you all may be curious to know, LOUQE let me know that "The sales (Round 2) will end when and if we sell the entire second order volume, currently 23% of it has been sold". I received this email on Monday (more will have been sold since).