Enclosure ZS-A4S V3 - Sweet size for compact mid-spec air cooled build

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Got my case, but need to get a power cable for the cloverleaf in the back (US grounded). Would this power cord cause any issues with my enhance 7660b? I can't tell exactly what type of cord I need based on just the psu specs. Any help would be much appreciated.
That cable linked is 18 AWG. They do make 16 AWG cables for the clover socket, which would provide less resistance and allow higher power draw, but I'm not sure it makes a difference. A quick google-fu yielded

Nominal 120 Volts AC - 50 ft or Less:

18 AWG- 10 Amps - 1200 Watts

16 AWG - 13 Amps - 1560 Watts

14 AWG - 15 Amps - 1800 Watts

This doesn't answer your question, but I think you would be safe.

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Here were are at last. My top two 92mm fans are coming in the mail tomorrow but I couldn't wait lol. Imgur build log
Great build. How's the noise from graphics card fans under load? Any noticeable noise increase with the case side panel closed compared to when it was open? I noticed that the fan blades on your EVGA 2080 is also quite close to the side panel just like mine, so wondering if turbulence noise proved to be an issue too.

chyeah

Cable Smoosher
Jul 14, 2020
Great build. How's the noise from graphics card fans under load? Any noticeable noise increase with the case side panel closed compared to when it was open? I noticed that the fan blades on your EVGA 2080 is also quite close to the side panel just like mine, so wondering if turbulence noise proved to be an issue too.

I've since added the 92mm fans on top, and also affixed some old 280mm dust filters to the outside of both side panels. There is some turbulence, but I would say mostly from the CPU side (although I do have the cpu side facing towards me on my desk and the gpu facing away). My fan blades are extremely close to the side panels for sure.

My next steps with this thing -
  • Repaste my GPU - I bought it used from a mining farm about a year ago and think I could improve thermals a bit by giving it some new paste. But if I went that far, I would want to...
  • Try to deshroud and replace with 2 A12x15's which would either be attached to the side panel or the card itself - haven't really looked into it yet but I'm thinking that would definitely reduce noise as well as thermals. I would probably stick with intake, given the top exhaust setup, but I've seen elsewhere for ncase builds about deshrouding and running exhaust, so I'd have to do some experimenting.
  • Install my C7G - bought it used and didn't realize I needed the am4 mounting kit but it's coming soon. I've also got a jhack fan adapter to use with my noctua a9x14, although I really want to get the 90 degree adapter so the fins would run parallel with the ram, allowing for much better airflow for that top exhaust... but they're out of stock on jhack's website and I don't have access to a 3d printer. Oh well.
  • Get a longer cpu cord so I don't need that god awful extension in there lol
Doing all these things would basically require me to take apart the whole thing and put it back together... but that's where the fun is right???

Reactions: scatterforce

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
I've since added the 92mm fans on top, and also affixed some old 280mm dust filters to the outside of both side panels. There is some turbulence, but I would say mostly from the CPU side (although I do have the cpu side facing towards me on my desk and the gpu facing away). My fan blades are extremely close to the side panels for sure.

My next steps with this thing -
  • Repaste my GPU - I bought it used from a mining farm about a year ago and think I could improve thermals a bit by giving it some new paste. But if I went that far, I would want to...
  • Try to deshroud and replace with 2 A12x15's which would either be attached to the side panel or the card itself - haven't really looked into it yet but I'm thinking that would definitely reduce noise as well as thermals. I would probably stick with intake, given the top exhaust setup, but I've seen elsewhere for ncase builds about deshrouding and running exhaust, so I'd have to do some experimenting.
  • Install my C7G - bought it used and didn't realize I needed the am4 mounting kit but it's coming soon. I've also got a jhack fan adapter to use with my noctua a9x14, although I really want to get the 90 degree adapter so the fins would run parallel with the ram, allowing for much better airflow for that top exhaust... but they're out of stock on jhack's website and I don't have access to a 3d printer. Oh well.
  • Get a longer cpu cord so I don't need that god awful extension in there lol
Doing all these things would basically require me to take apart the whole thing and put it back together... but that's where the fun is right???
Nah, just need to unscrew the top and bottom frames, maybe front panel as well since your graphics card is long. So yeah, basically the whole thing... Although we might be able to keep the motherboard on while working on everything else.

To solve turbulence noise on CPU side is easy, either Blackridge / IS-47k or similar should do the trick. As for GPU side, de-shrouding and Noctua slim fans seems to be worth trying indeed.

CupcakePeroxide

Cable Smoosher
Aug 29, 2020
Also ordered this case, but in Space Gray color. Also I asked seller to modify CPU side panel to match Black Ridge heatsink. Now I'm waiting for the arrival, but seller kindly shared photos of final result:

That mod looks great! Honestly I think the side panels look better with venting holes all the way to the top/bottom. No sure how that will look on the GPU side, though. Please share more pics when you receive the case! I've been considering getting that case, but I guess I'll wait until the new GPUs are out...

Reactions: MrMrRobat

outtatheblue

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2020
How is the SATA drive compatibility when using the Black Ridge cooler? The product listing on Taobao mentions up to 4x SATA drive compatibility, but appears to be using a smaller cooler like an L9a instead.

Thinking of this one as a good upgrade from the Loli1...better GPU compatibility while keeping relatively similar dimensions to the Loli1 (shorter height, but longer length), and no real compromises it seems.

Went down the Loli1 route seeing 3x SATA drive compatibility, but not realizing it's only when using smaller coolers...the BR limits it to 1 SATA drive on the GPU side.

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
How is the SATA drive compatibility when using the Black Ridge cooler? The product listing on Taobao mentions up to 4x SATA drive compatibility, but appears to be using a smaller cooler like an L9a instead.

Thinking of this one as a good upgrade from the Loli1...better GPU compatibility while keeping relatively similar dimensions to the Loli1 (shorter height, but longer length), and no real compromises it seems.

Went down the Loli1 route seeing 3x SATA drive compatibility, but not realizing it's only when using smaller coolers...the BR limits it to 1 SATA drive on the GPU side.
With Black Ridge, you can only mount the 2.5 drive vertically like I did. So I guess two 2.5 drives max stacked together? Brackets are provided with the case for stacking, but cable management would be a challenge.

I still recommend sticking with just M.2 drives for this case, for the sake of providing good airflow to the Flex PSU and its health. I just orderd a 1Tb Seagate 510 NVME drive which should arrive tomorrow, and I'll be doing a small mod over the weekend for the PSU (adding a 8010 PWM fan for addtional cooling at its intake).

chyeah

Cable Smoosher
Jul 14, 2020
Yup, unfortunate news. Although that is the FE card. Looks like there might be a two slot AIB 3080 that could fit, guess we'll have to wait and see. Glad to see that the 3070 FE fits at least. I'm holding off for a few more months at least, probably until AMD reveal.

CupcakePeroxide

Cable Smoosher
Aug 29, 2020
I think so far the only 3070 that fits the case is the FE, right? I doubt 3070 will have good thermals in that case, though. The Zotac one with two fans is too wide. MSI hasn't released the dimensions for the dual fan Ventus card, but judging by its photo it seems to be too thick. Am I missing something?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I think so far the only 3070 that fits the case is the FE, right? I doubt 3070 will have good thermals in that case, though. The Zotac one with two fans is too wide. MSI hasn't released the dimensions for the dual fan Ventus card, but judging by its photo it seems to be too thick. Am I missing something?
The Zotac Twin Edge should fit if you go with a pig-tail style PSU connector. That is, something like this. The fin orientation on the Zotac card isn't ideal, but it's the only true 2 slot 3070 revealed that is <267mm.

CupcakePeroxide

Cable Smoosher
Aug 29, 2020
The Zotac Twin Edge should fit if you go with a pig-tail style PSU connector. That is, something like this. The fin orientation on the Zotac card isn't ideal, but it's the only true 2 slot 3070 revealed that is <267mm.
That's very interesting. I wouldn't worry too much about the fin orientation, though, since there are plenty space on the end of the card for hot air to escape.
I did some guesstimation based on the exposed PCB (green line) and fin stack (yellow) on the back side of the card. It might clear the AC socket thingy if we remove the fan shroud and the back plate. I'm a bit tempted to give that a try...

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@CupcakePeroxide great photo!

You are right about the edge, it appears that there is enough space at the back to not be chocked for air. With some creativity, I can fit a Twin Edge in my current case. My only desire to change cases is if I could fit a 3080 into it.

Zotac also has a 3070 Twin Holo that appears to be 268mm in length and might be 2 slot card. It has vertical fins as well; if they slap that cooler on a 3080, I'll switch cases to this one.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
What kind of screws did you use to mount the top 92mm fans? Those don't look like standard screws that come with the fan