Enclosure Is my plan realistic?

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
I've briefly mentioned it in another thread, but I'm about to build a new SFF system, and I'd like to know if I should abandon the case I have planned or if it, or go with something else. I'll be using a Dan Case clone, the ZS-A4 found on Taobao, and an 8700K cooled with the Thermolab LP53 and Noctua A9x14. I don't plan on overclocking, and unlike the Dan Case, the ZS-A4 allows for two 92mm fans on the bottom.

Is this a bad idea? I have all the parts in hand except for the 8700K which I have on backorder. As much as I hate to do it, I'll switch to an NCASE M1 if I have to.

Thanks.

https://world.taobao.com/item/545250722223.htm

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd have serious concerns about cooling the 8700K with the LP53 from what I'm seeing so far.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
It would be doable if you delid your CPU. I would seriously consider it! If you don't want to delid, than undervolting would be a must.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Take into consideration what Der8auer said about delidding this generation of chip not being nearly as effective as on Kaby Lake due to Intel using a non-shit TIM to deflect some of the overheating issues. According to him a delid will likely only yield a 3-4 degree temperature drop.

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
I still have time to return the LP53, and sell the ZS-A4 or use for another purpose. Should I just go ahead and use a different case? What would you two do?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I still have time to return the LP53, and sell the ZS-A4 or use for another purpose. Should I just go ahead and use a different case? What would you two do?
Return the heatsink. If you want to keep the case, buy a Schyte Kozuti. It is loud but it performs better than L9i by 6C. If you want to go different route, than buy NCASE M1. Buy an AIO.Overclock. Enjoy.