GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
... And I'll also be adding a disclaimer to that reflash guide (idk how i didnt have it before), but doing this reflash could work for some, but since you encountered this, it could have unknown effects on your GPU and would be done at the owner's own risk.

You didn't need to, we should be well aware of such a risk.

But

@james0 Dude, I cant stress how sorry i am to hear about your card. It REALLY breaks my heart that the reflash might have caused that problem.

+1 here @james0, that sux balls, seriously. Nothing funny about it :\

Reactions: CubanLegend

james0

Minimal Tinkerer
May 23, 2017
Well, that's my 1st serious hardware failure and I hope it will be the last. Of course I knew risks and I blame no one for that. I only want anyone to know about risks: even when someone succeeded it doesn't mean that you will. At some point I should had learned this the hard way.
Luckily, I didn't destroyed the entire rig ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

stevey500

Trash Compacter
Feb 16, 2017
@james0 Dude, I cant stress how sorry i am to hear about your card. It REALLY breaks my heart that the reflash might have caused that problem.

I've been stressing the hell out of my GTX 1080 with the AMP bios mod with no fail. I'm the idiot that even stress tested it before doing any power limitations, no failures. It runs beautifully. Bummer that had happened!

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
@james0 if the card's truly fried, is RMAing worth a shot? Pardon my lack of knowledge in this department (not having RMA'd anything before), but how could they tell if a different BIOS was used in a card that's non-recoverable?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@james0 if the card's truly fried, is RMAing worth a shot? Pardon my lack of knowledge in this department (not having RMA'd anything before), but how could they tell if a different BIOS was used in a card that's non-recoverable?
I understand that point, it crossed my mind to suggest it (it first) but, I can't condone trying to get an RMA past a company... but honestly this might have been an actual valid GPU failure considering others here including me have run the 1080mini with the Amp BIOS without problem.

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I understand that point, it crossed my mind to suggest it but, I dont condone trying to get an RMA past a company... but honestly this might have been an actual valid GPU failure considering others here including me have run the 1080mini with the Amp BIOS without problem.

Agreed - that's was what I was thinking straight after my post - that same failure may well have occurred prior with further use / stressing on default BIOS. But yes I'll leave it at that :)

Reactions: CubanLegend

james0

Minimal Tinkerer
May 23, 2017
Sadly, RMA will be too complicated in my case because I bought GPU in one country and shipped it to another. There's no official presence of Zotac in my region and transportation costs can (probably) be compared to cost of card itself.
This whole situation looks bad and I already accepted it.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pretty sure the RMA would apply in the region in which you purchased the card. The country to which you shipped it should be irrelevant. What country did you purchase from and which country are you in presently?

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
@CubanLegend, do you still run the AMP bios without issue? Or has anyone else flashed? I was going to flash it this weekend after I do the liquid metal thermal paste install.. but I might wait now for flashing it. :confused:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@CubanLegend, do you still run the AMP bios without issue? Or has anyone else flashed? I was going to flash it this weekend after I do the liquid metal thermal paste install.. but I might wait now for flashing it. :confused:
I am indeed running it still, with the same fan profile posted in that instructions post. It runs amazingly quiet when not it use at 600RPMs, and its cooler than normal with the optimized fan curve when gaming.

Reactions: wiretap

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
News: It looks like Zotac is releasing a 1080Ti Mini, both air cooled and watercooled in the same size as the original 1080 Mini, but with 2x 8-pin connectors. Damn, I'll have to upgrade now..

Edit, guess we can't make separate threads on separate products.

Discuss here..

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57727/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-mini-super-small-powerful/index.html

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Reactions: Acalanata

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
I just did the liquid metal thermal paste mod to my 1080 Mini tonight. It was extremely easy to get the heatsink/fan off the card. I used Phobya LM. A tiny bit of this stuff goes a long way. I used about half a grain of rice size piece of it, and I had to take some off because it was too much. While I was at it, I also de-lidded my 7700K and installed the Phobya LM on that too. Overall, I'm extremely impressed, especially with the de-lidding on the 7700K. I used a simple AIDA64 30-minute CPU+GPU stress test before and after to check on my results.

Mind you, this is in my tiny Jonsbo U1 Plus case with only 1 slim 80mm exhaust. (and the Corsair SF600 PSU exhaust)
GTX 1080 Mini before --- 72C
GTX 1080 Mini after --- 70C
7700k before --- Throttled at 99C within 3 minutes
7700k after --- No throttling with full 4.5GHz boost, 83C max

Grafite

3D Printing Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2017
You should also try undervolting your card. I keep my 1080 mini in my nose 202 in horizontal mode. It went from 84 C to 76 C when I reduced the power limit to it's stock clock.

Reactions: wiretap

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Does the 211mm include the PCI flange or does that start from the PCI plate?

On the Zotac GTX 1080 Mini the length is 211mm from the rear of the IO plate (where the display connectors are) to the end of the shroud. That measurement does not include the retention tab.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Prices are going way up on this card, bought mine three days ago for $520 off the egg, now they are going for $640 everywhere (without a free copy of Destiny 2). The 1070 mini also looks like it is going out of stock. Not sure when supplies will come back, but seems odd. Bitcoin miners?