dell 330w mods/wiring question

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
got a generic 19v 200w dc atx unit today as im having probs with hdplex and was just going to splice a female 7.4x5mm jack onto it then i remembered seeing something about sense or data cablesin the dell jack.
is that what the small pin in the centre is?will the dell brick work if that isnt wired up? i was just hoping to connect the live and earth from the dell to the new psu

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
got a generic 19v 200w dc atx unit today as im having probs with hdplex and was just going to splice a female 7.4x5mm jack onto it then i remembered seeing something about sense or data cablesin the dell jack.
is that what the small pin in the centre is?will the dell brick work if that isnt wired up? i was just hoping to connect the live and earth from the dell to the new psu

please provide photos of what unit you have, so we can give answers.

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
sorry dont know how to add photos on this forum but its this one
ASHATA DC ATX Power Supply Unit, LD-200W 19V DC

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
simple solution :

AC adapters come in about 5 versions, including 7.4mm/5.0mm with center pin.

do not buy a center pin version, buy the other one.

if you need to know which AC adapter, i can tell you.

mijffs

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
if you could tell me which adapter that would be great,if i can get a cheap version.

been looking further into the dell adapters and cant find anything conclusive but it appears the sense wire is mainly to tell the dell laptop its the right supply and give charging info so the dell laptop needs the data to accept/initiate the charge not sure if the charger actually needs any feedback to charge or if its just upto the laptop charging circuit to just draw current?