Power Supply Z4-ATX-200 question

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Hey guys, first time starting a thread here.

For those of you who got a Z4-ATX-200 psu, i'd like to know something:

does it come with this adaptor?

I've tried to contact with the picobox seller, but the aliexpress always returns me some weird php error. every. freaking. time.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english (i'm from Brazil).

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
I think the issue is that the normal small diameter barrel connector is only rated up to a certain amperage. Most of the bricks that will be using the larger diameter connector will output higher amperage for more watts. If you force this to go over the smaller diameter barrel it will work up until you are drawing a large amount of amps over an extended period of time (gaming for awhile) and that's when you run into the risk of melting.

Your best bet is to, instead of using an adapter, just change the connector to something that is rated for more amps.

Reactions: rosinbole

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I think the issue is that the normal small diameter barrel connector is only rated up to a certain amperage. Most of the bricks that will be using the larger diameter connector will output higher amperage for more watts. If you force this to go over the smaller diameter barrel it will work up until you are drawing a large amount of amps over an extended period of time (gaming for awhile) and that's when you run into the risk of melting.

Your best bet is to, instead of using an adapter, just change the connector to something that is rated for more amps.

Agreed. I really would like to know, with a a good margin of certainty, the proper barrel diameter for the Z4-ATX-200, since the built-in one looks a bit 'smaller than ideal' for the job it's supposed to accomplish.

Also, on thar regard, is there some kind of 'ISO certification' or any kind of international standards for the amperage/wattage vs barrel diameter of the DC-DC adapters?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I couldn't find any certifications, but wikipedia provides a partial answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector#Connector_sizes

Contact ratings commonly vary from unspecified up to 5 amperes (11 amperes for special high-power versions). Voltage is often unspecified, but may be up to 48V with 12V typical. The smaller types usually have lower current and voltage ratings.

I would be wary using a barrel connector for a anything with a dedicated graphics card and more than a simple cpu. I remember reading a german review of the streacom picopsu powering an i7, where the barrel connection reached an alarming temperature of over 100° C with voltage drops as result. I'll try to find is again.

EDIT: here you go: https://www.computerbase.de/2013-04/streacom-nano-150-watt-pico-netzteil-test/7/

Last edited:
Reactions: cleveland

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Yeah, I would suggest using a 4 pin DIN at the least. They support 7.5 amps for each pin. You can use 2 of the pins for 12V and 2 for ground. 12V*7.5*2 gives you 180 watts safely with about the same diameter connection. If you're using a 19V supply, you might be able to get away with this, or you may want to upgrade to a better connector.