News Z390 ITX boards.

Here we go with the board leaks!

MSI Z390 I GAMING EDGE
https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2018/09/MSI-Z390I-Gaming-Edge-MPG.jpg

GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabytes-z390-i-aorus-pro-wifi-leaked

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I
https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rog-strix-z390-i-and-prime-z390-a-motherboards-leaked

ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC
ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac
Pictured here: https://videocardz.com/newz/asrock-z390-series-motherboards-leaked

Gone is the Fatal1ty tag on ASRock's premium gaming boards (about time too imo). Those boards are now rebranded "Phantom Gaming".

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0 and tinyitx

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
I am also curious about 2x m.2 , front will have no problems under heatsing alright, but what is with back one ?? can it take some heat ?? i can live with 2 x 500 for the gaming rig it is nice. Still cant understand whats with 4 sata connectors on those boards. Most of people will have m.2 and storage ssd and thats it.

Gigabyte board looks ok , i see 3 pwm connectors so thats nice.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
What do you mean? IO plates are standardized. It can't be "huge".

True, but on a X470-I all that IO stuff is in the open, with a backplate you fit, here everything is enclosed in a box. Wondering if said box will get in the way. :)

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
True, but on a X470-I all that IO stuff is in the open, with a backplate you fit, here everything is enclosed in a box. Wondering if said box will get in the way. :)

No it will fit, it's just going to wreak havoc with air cooler options..........

Reactions: NinoPecorino

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I compare Asus Z390i with Z370i and it seems the IO shroud recess a little back from the CPU socket. I mean, the Z370i has a row of capacitors and a row of chokes (sort of) between the CPU socket and the IO shroud. But, I only see a row of capacitors on the Z390i. But the IO shroud does not really take up the 2nd row but, sort of, recess back. Perhaps the 2nd row of chokes is hidden underneath (for additional cooling purpose?). Anyway, if my observation on this is correct, the physical compatibility for this Z390i will be more or less like that of the Z370i.
However, even if there is no physical incompatibility, this chunk of IO shroud is still not beneficial to top down air coolers because it will block, to a large extent, the inflow/exhaust of the air path in this direction.

Anyway, in all likelihood, I will get this board for my build next month. I will report if a NH-C14S can be installed or not. Stay tuned.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I compare Asus Z390i with Z370i and it seems the IO shroud recess a little back from the CPU socket. I mean, the Z370i has a row of capacitors and a row of chokes (sort of) between the CPU socket and the IO shroud. But, I only see a row of capacitors on the Z390i. But the IO shroud does not really take up the 2nd row but, sort of, recess back. Perhaps the 2nd row of chokes is hidden underneath (for additional cooling purpose?). Anyway, if my observation on this is correct, the physical compatibility for this Z390i will be more or less like that of the Z370i.
However, even if there is no physical incompatibility, this chunk of IO shroud is still not beneficial to top down air coolers because it will block, to a large extent, the inflow/exhaust of the air path in this direction.

Anyway, in all likelihood, I will get this board for my build next month. I will report if a NH-C14S can be installed or not. Stay tuned.

Hope it fits with no issues. Are you planning on getting the 9900k?

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
I'm quite curious as to the thermal performance of the coffee lake refresh K series chips. I know the soldered heat spreader has the potential to help overclockers, but i'm still suspicious that there may just be too many watts of heat to pull off of the fins of a top down air cooler regardless of advances in conductivity. If the Z390-I boards all look like this, I'm guessing that a water-block might be in my future. I'm still running an i7-950, and was hoping to wait until Intel dropped a 10mm chip. I'm tired of waiting, and if this generation looks promising I may have to splurge.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hopefully this is wrong but this leak puts the price at $520, I was actually expecting close to $500 but was hoping I was wrong.

Rankless

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2018
Hopefully this is wrong but this leak puts the price at $520, I was actually expecting close to $500 but was hoping I was wrong.

I think any price delta from the i7-8700k (at launch) greater than $100 is ridiculous. It's already a badge shift which is obnoxious enough, and to tell me what ostensibly should have been an i7 is going to cost $520 USD is going to go over just as poorly as it did for nvidia with the 2080ti.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Although they cannot be directly compared, an i7 7820X (with 8C/16T, 3.6GHz base, 4.3GHz boost, 140W) costed $599 at launch but now costs $450. I think Intel will price the 9900K at $499.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Although they cannot be directly compared, an i7 7820X (with 8C/16T, 3.6GHz base, 4.3GHz boost, 140W) costed $599 at launch but now costs $450. I think Intel will price the 9900K at $499.

Considering the 8086k is $424 I think we should plan on at least $499.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The closer we get to the launch date, the more we will see 'leaks'. And these leaks should get more 'accurate' and 'reliable' as the date gets closer too.
Here is a most recent price list leak of a Singapore retailer (it is not a distributor but a retailer...so, guru3d appears to get this part wrong).
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...r-prices-listed-at-singapore-distributor.html

i9 9900k is listed as 666 Singapore currency (US$ equivalent 479.99).
This could be my wishful thinking but it does look believable.

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
The closer we get to the launch date, the more we will see 'leaks'. And these leaks should get more 'accurate' and 'reliable' as the date gets closer too.
Here is a most recent price list leak of a Singapore retailer (it is not a distributor but a retailer...so, guru3d appears to get this part wrong).
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...r-prices-listed-at-singapore-distributor.html

i9 9900k is listed as 666 Singapore currency (US$ equivalent 479.99).
This could be my wishful thinking but it does look believable.

Hm, that's interesting...

I wonder how the 14nm shortage that GamersNexus refers to will affect the pricing.