Status
Not open for further replies.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Trying some new renders using Keyshot and Photoshop...

We'll make the full case reveal very soon, keep an eye ;)

Any thoughts? Cheers!

Last edited:

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
@BernardoZ Now that Computex is over, and we know you have working real life prototypes of the case, you guys should really start showing off more pics of the actual build and the prototype case, with pics taken in a more controlled environment than just the table at computex; e.g. show us actual cable management and potential issues with it right now. Get some proper feedback on that kind of solution.

I personally would like to see real life images of the space behind the GPU; how much space is there? You claim there should be enough for a 2.5" drive or two, but there is also a raiser cable.

Reactions: BernardoZ

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Its a shot in the dark, but any chance you there could be a revision to the glass mount thumbscrews? The "thumbless" trend is starting, namely with the fractal design R6 and the nzxt h500. Again, i'm just throwing out ideas as I know you're close to manufacturing a final design, I've never been a fan of thumbscrews, especially on a window.

Reactions: BernardoZ

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
WD raptor X, black chassis, visable head would look absolutely baller there.
Wow, nice find! Very cool looking HDD :eek:

Can people please stop being so negative towards ODDs? If you don't want one, then don't install one. I for one have all my current PCs equipped with a regular Blu-Ray drive for my movie collection. I also have some old games that require discs. Anyway, it's nice to have the option available, even if you don't intend on using it.

Regarding ugly ODDs or ugly 3.5" drives, I saw JayzTwoCents fix this by camouflaging his drives with black vinyl wrap for his D-frame-build. Could be an option, right?

But I am still concerned about both cluttered cable management and diminished air flow with a setup featuring ODD or 3.5" drives
I have to agree with you on this. The Slim ODD and 3,5" HDD are just extra options, so it would be nice to have; If you don't need it, don't use it.
About the vinyl wrap, awesome idea!
Indeed, cable management on those 2 options might be a problem. We need to test them on the real prototype first.
Anyway, we are not sure if this feature will be present on final revision, I have to think about it.

Also a thought on the mounts for the side panel, how about something like this that's used for signage? Basically just a nice looking standoff and screw set
These look awesome visually, but won't work; We need M3/M4 glass spacers for the case.
Also, you have to think about the process of mounting the glass on the chassis. If we use this kind of solution where just the top part is "male", you would have to perfectly position each bottom spacer before putting the glass, to make the top screws aligned with the case holes. This isn't a very good method, so we are trying to find better ones. Dunno if this was clear to understand, I can make a drawing if you need ;)

@BernardoZ Now that Computex is over, and we know you have working real life prototypes of the case, you guys should really start showing off more pics of the actual build and the prototype case, with pics taken in a more controlled environment than just the table at computex; e.g. show us actual cable management and potential issues with it right now. Get some proper feedback on that kind of solution.

I personally would like to see real life images of the space behind the GPU; how much space is there? You claim there should be enough for a 2.5" drive or two, but there is also a raiser cable.
You are right. Just have more patience please, some things don't go as fast as we plan XD
Proper pics will be posted in about 2 weeks, if everything is ok.
About the space behind the GPU, there is about 13mm in there. The PCIe riser doesn't interfere much, as the cable is only 1-2mm thick. So you can easily fit 3x 2,5" HDDs in there (7mm thickness), side by side.

Its a shot in the dark, but any chance you there could be a revision to the glass mount thumbscrews? The "thumbless" trend is starting, namely with the fractal design R6 and the nzxt h500. Again, i'm just throwing out ideas as I know you're close to manufacturing a final design, I've never been a fan of thumbscrews, especially on a window.
Despite being a good idea, this would be very hard to implement. Mainly because of the "glass elevation" aspect, we are already struggling to find a proper screw solution.

I will try to make a diagram another day explaining how it works. I don't think this is 100% clear yet, and it's one of the main features of the case because of cpu temps/airflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortis Angelus

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Just want to chime in to say this case is looking great so far and nice to see a real build in it. As I once had a case concept similar to this, being metal, glass panel and vertical orientation with flex PSU. But it was just an idea and something that was just on my wish list but not a serious plan to do. It's cool to see how a real version of this case would look like and what can be done with it,

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
@CC Ricers Thanks for the words man. I checked your old threads and think I found the concept you mentioned, looks very interesting too :D

Someone educated me on what flex PSU is
Basically, it's a PSU form factor that is mostly used in 1U servers/workstations. It has different size options, and the one our case supports measure about 15 x 8 x 4 cm (~ 0,5 L volume). It also has a 40mm fan to dissipate the heat.
Here is one example I really like because of the looks: Silverstone FX350-G

We will bundle a Flex PSU option in our Kickstarter (just as an option), probably the Enhance 600w 80+ Platinum. It has some really awesome specs/noise, and Enhance agreed to do some cool modifications for us like black enclosure, custom cables and improved fan curve.

I haven't kept up with flex PSU progress. Last time I read that it's quite noisy, still the case?
Yes, most Flex psu options on the market are really loud, because this form factor is aimed at server users, who usually don't care about noise.
BUT, there are a few available options that are silent. The best we found so far is the Enhance ENP7660, here is its the fan/noise report:

So, the fan spins at ~2000RPM until 480w load, and noise is about 20dB. This is more silent than Cryorig C7, and even some Noctua fans.
The loudness starts when power goes above 500w, which I don't think most users will reach.

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hello guys, great news! :D

During Computex, some big companies showed interest on our project. After a lot of talking, we decided to partner with Jonsbo.
So, our final prototypes and mass production cases will be made by them. Some advantages that come with this are:
- Much higher quality product;
- Quick delivery after Kickstarter campaign (we won't need to find a manufacture after it, as we already settled with one);
- Easier/faster overall process (they will take care of things like quality-checking, packaging and shipment).

We ordered the prototypes yesterday (revision 3, hope to be our last ones), and they might arrive at the end of this month.
About the Custom Enhance PSUs, we will order them next week.
Also, there will be a "full reveal" in a few days.

While you wait, here is a new render. Which color do you prefer?

Cheers!

buttrmytoast

Trash Compacter
Jun 2, 2018
I was wondering what the time line would like to pre-order one of these. I'm guessing it might be a little more than a month at least since prototypes are coming in later this month? I'm in need of a new computer :0 and this caught my eye

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
I was wondering what the time line would like to pre-order one of these. I'm guessing it might be a little more than a month at least since prototypes are coming in later this month? I'm in need of a new computer :0 and this caught my eye

Kickstarter should hopefully be up and running in a month or two, if I've understood Bernando correctly. But since they are only two persons running this company and project, whilst being students, things move a bit slow (which is understandable).

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Thank you all for the support guys :D

@buttrmytoast We don't want to set a date for Kickstarter yet, but it will probably be on August, or September at most. We need to finish some details first, I'll let you know.

-------------------------------------------

So, this week we made some quick temp tests to decide the glass spacers sizes. A proper report will be published closer to the campaign.
Things are looking promising, and here is what we decided to go with:

This is probably the best solution to make such a small layout work with a "flat" tempered-glass and powerful hardware; Cuz as some of you know, it's almost impossible to make vent holes on TG.
Also, the advantage is that you can improve temps/airflow without any real increase on case volume (you can remove the spacers if you are not using the PC, like when you need to transport it).

Please share your thoughts about this, as it's a very important feature of the project. Does it look good?

Edit: Btw, all spacers options will be included with the case (0, 8, 16 and 24mm), the buyer doesn't need to choose it before the purchase. I think I wasn't 100% clear about that XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.