Motherboard X570 ITX Motherboard Review Thread.

Rolling9Deep

Caliper Novice
Sep 5, 2018
Anyone have any idea where to find the (RAM) QVL for the:

Asus ROG (X570) Crosshair VIII Impact

???

I've spent about 25 minutes looking all over and can't find it. Asus site is horrible (imo).

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
i wonder is there any point of buying DTX impact since all ryzens are basically non-clockable ?? Correct me if i am wrong. Adding 150$ on top of gigabyte/asrock and having same OC ??

Only reason is that EK will probably make monoblock for asus, and not for others.

Any reviews of asus strix x570-i ??

Rolling9Deep

Caliper Novice
Sep 5, 2018
i wonder is there any point of buying DTX impact since all ryzens are basically non-clockable ?? Correct me if i am wrong. Adding 150$ on top of gigabyte/asrock and having same OC ??

Perhaps Overclocking will get better as AMD works out the “beta” issues many are experiencing.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Just found out that the price of impact is 750AUD. What a rip off!
Is it? USD 450 is currently AUD ~670 according to DuckDuckGo. 10% sales tax on top of that leaves you at AUD 737. An AUD 13 premium in that price bracket is ... negligible. At worst. I would call it a rounding error.
Perhaps Overclocking will get better as AMD works out the “beta” issues many are experiencing.

Also, perhaps more "future proof."
The edit button is useful ;)

Beyond that, OC isn't likely to get better - the voltage needed to get the Ryzen architecture (at least on TSMC's low-power processes) to go faster is too high to run safely 24/7. Minor gains can happen, but generally things will stay put. Still, there is value to forcing a high all-core clock for a render rig or something similar, in which case manual tuning and beefy VRMs are useful. But you likely don't need the C8I, no. And for everyday, average use, the best thing to do with Ryzen 3000 chips seem to be leaving them stock and/or letting them have all the power and cooling you can give them.

danny.nguyen

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
Is it? USD 450 is currently AUD ~670 according to DuckDuckGo. 10% sales tax on top of that leaves you at AUD 737. An AUD 13 premium in that price bracket is ... negligible. At worst. I would call it a rounding error.

The edit button is useful ;)

Beyond that, OC isn't likely to get better - the voltage needed to get the Ryzen architecture (at least on TSMC's low-power processes) to go faster is too high to run safely 24/7. Minor gains can happen, but generally things will stay put. Still, there is value to forcing a high all-core clock for a render rig or something similar, in which case manual tuning and beefy VRMs are useful. But you likely don't need the C8I, no. And for everyday, average use, the best thing to do with Ryzen 3000 chips seem to be leaving them stock and/or letting them have all the power and cooling you can give them.

Scroll down...you will see

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Paradyme

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2019
Just found out that the price of impact is 750AUD. What a rip off!

If you went all out with a Ryzen 9 3950X then it's actually a much better deal than the ASRock X299E-ITX + i9 Extreme, but you're right if you just want a beefy SFF build. How much is bragging rights really worth?

danny.nguyen

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
If you went all out with a Ryzen 9 3950X then it's actually a much better deal than the ASRock X299E-ITX + i9 Extreme, but you're right if you just want a beefy SFF build. How much is bragging rights really worth?
I dont need braggingbrights!

Impact should have two slots of pcie to justify the price!

danny.nguyen

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018

Thats true. Definitely getting 3950X

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I dont need braggingbrights!

Impact should have two slots of pcie to justify the price!
You don't seem to understand how high-end motherboard prices work. They never make sense in terms of value. Most US$700 motherboards don't perform noticeably faster than $200 motherboards, but have some added enthusiast features (such as 10GbE) and usually a lot of high-end OC features that the vast majority of even people buying them won't use. While this board isn't quite that expensive, it's still firmly in the "value has gone out the window" bracket. You don't buy this if you're on a budget. You don't buy this unless you a) can afford it, and b) are willing to pay for its featureset. If one or both of those don't apply to you, lower-end boards will serve you just as well (if not better!) for far less money - even running a 3950X. It makes perfect sense that people wanting the best of the best pay a significant premium for that (to cover up expensive R&D for small-run boards), and it avoids costs from these boards bleeding over into the pricing of other, cheaper boards.

combatus

Chassis Packer
May 31, 2017
Signed up just to post this:

I purchased this board, along with the Aorus Gen4 NVME and had a major disappointment.

You can not fit both the NVMe and Chipset cooler/heatsink together. the NVMe heatsink is too high, forcing you to abandon the chipset cooler/sink combo.
Doing that will result in both NVMe and Chipset temps sitting in mid to high 60s at IDLE.
I drove to CaseKing and met with a couple of the guys there, after about an hour we couldnt find any solution but they took some photos and will email their Gigabyte Rep.

I purchased some Noctua 40mm fans and will attempt to mount things in some way.

Disconnecting the chipset fan does throw a "PCH Fan Error" sometimes when you enter Bios, but other than that I havent experienced any other issues.
Obviously I havent OC'd the 3700x I have in there, but once I get chipset/NVMe temps down a bit I might give it a go.
Memory was very very easily overclocked to 3733CL16 using some Crucial Ballastix 3200c16 kits.

Also... Note that thechipset heatsink is not meant to touch the NVMe despite the included thermal pad in the box.
Frankly its a terrible design. theres about 3-5mm of gap between a naked NVMe and the top heatsink part.... which also has a fan....

Some photos of my issue.

Antony from bit-tech/Forbes/Custom PC magazine here. Glad someone agrees with me! I've reviewed the Impact, ASRock and Gigabyte X570 ITX boards and not really impressed with the latter two. The Gigabyte board's M.2/chipset implementation is poor and just leads to high temps for both and just a single fan header is just rediculous. Just lazy design and cost saving. I got plenty of stick for pointing this out in the bit-tech review but stand by my opinion. The ASRock board actually had MUCH cooler VRMs - in spite of what Buildziod says, I'd go with the ASRock board for a partner for the 3950X. Except.... it only has four USB ports and they have also removed the fan control section from the EFI - there' no funky fan curves to play with, just the hideous list of numbers that remind me boards from a decade ago... Not impressed with these two boards. If you can't go for the Impact, I'd wait for the Strix X570-I. I'll be reviewing all four in a roundup on my YouTube channel soon.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I agree on the fan side of the gigabyte although it has two headers, chassis fan and cpu fan, I have the pump plugged to the chassis fan for voltage regulation, no pwm.

As long as vrm, I don't find it that bad, I have a 3700x at 4150 mhz all cores and 1.36v under load (it doesn't seem to be a good one). It pulls 148 Watts under full load, and it's been rendering all night (11 hours) with a maximum temp on the vrm of 59 degrees which is 34 over ambient. My vrm are cooled by the hot air coming out of an eisbaer lt on the side of an ncase. Honestly I don't have much to compare it to, but temperature wise it's not that bad.

BTW vrm temp in such a long period of time gets affected by cpu temp which has gone as high as 96 degrees on those 11 hours. Before this night I haven't seen the vrm over 52 degrees neither playing or on shorter workloads.

Paradyme

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2019
Antony from bit-tech/Forbes/Custom PC magazine here. Glad someone agrees with me! I've reviewed the Impact, ASRock and Gigabyte X570 ITX boards and not really impressed with the latter two. The Gigabyte board's M.2/chipset implementation is poor and just leads to high temps for both and just a single fan header is just rediculous. Just lazy design and cost saving. I got plenty of stick for pointing this out in the bit-tech review but stand by my opinion. The ASRock board actually had MUCH cooler VRMs - in spite of what Buildziod says, I'd go with the ASRock board for a partner for the 3950X. Except.... it only has four USB ports and they have also removed the fan control section from the EFI - there' no funky fan curves to play with, just the hideous list of numbers that remind me boards from a decade ago... Not impressed with these two boards. If you can't go for the Impact, I'd wait for the Strix X570-I. I'll be reviewing all four in a roundup on my YouTube channel soon.
Thanks for that info! I'm tossing up between the Impact and ASRock boards, mostly because of likely clearance issues with the Impact in the Ncase M1. Great to hear about the better VRM cooling on ASRock, not so fussed on less USB but the lack of fan control is annoying - do you think this is something they may improve with a BIOS update?
The deal breaker on the Strix for me is the lack of Optical SPDIF port - the fancy sound card seems rather redundant without it!

MPP

Cable Smoosher
Sep 11, 2017
Does anyone have Asus impact?
I am interested but I'm afraid of PCH temperatures. (https://www.expreview.com/70512.html)
Tests on the network are not reliable, usually they report temperature VRM.
PCH temperatures are skipped (for obvious reasons?) ...
Can any of you tell me what temperatures PCH reaches in idle and load?
Are the fans noisy?

ckaym

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2018
Guys,
do you know what's are the speeds of the (fast) usb ports on the Gigabyte's x570 ITX MoBo?
There seems to be some chaos with the usb versioning (incl. on their own docs) so I'm not sure if there's a USB 3.2 (ie gen 2) port with a 20Gbps speed, or if it's only a gen1 and thus 10Gbps only.