Motherboard Extreme Difficulties with x570 Motherboards and Ryzen 3

aiou.live

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Nov 12, 2019
Hello all, I have had a truly terrible 3 months trying to build my first Ryzen system. I have now gone through 3 motherboards (2 Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI 1x ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming) and two Ryzen 3700x CPUs. All three setups have exhibited the same failure. Board LEDs turn on but no fans, no boot sounds/lights, no boot. I am in the process of RMAing both the CPU and the ASUS board I currently have to get a fresh (or at least validated) CPU and board at the same time. I wanted to ask if anyone else has had such extreme problems with the Ryzen 3 platform. If this last hurah doesn't work I may have no choice but to go intel....

I have built about 20 intel system for my university and never had problems like this. I've personally rebuilt my 6700k system in my s4m probably about a dozen times at this point.

Current: 6700k, asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac, zotac GTX 1080 mini, 32G (2x16) 3200 Gskillz Royal RGB, Intel 600p 500g m.2, (3x) 2TB Fire Barracuda, HDPLEX 400W DC, Dell 330
New: 3700x, ASUS ROG Strix x570-i Gaming, zotac GTX 1080 mini, 32G (2x16) 3200 Gskillz Royal RGB, Intel 600p 500g m.2, (3x) 2TB Fire Barracuda, HDPLEX 400W DC, HDPLEX 400W ACDC

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
About a month ago, I bought a Micro ATX ASROCK B450 motherboard with Ryzen 3700X. I booted fine, but didn't have the latest UEFI/BIOS, so I decided to update it. Update seemed to go OK but after I rebooted, couldn't get an video output (thought my graphics card was dead - it wasn't) fans spun up, couldn't get back into the BIOS. Even tried resetting the PRAM by touching the pins with a screw driver with the system power off. Didn't help. Finally decided to remove the battery for 24 hours. That seemed to work, was able to finally get back into the UEFI/BIOS after re-installing the PRAM battery, but I'd had enough. I figured if the damn board was that difficult just to do a lousy BIOS update I didn't want anything to do with it. Returned it to my local Micro Center for an Intel i7-9700 & ASUS Z390 TUF micro ATX board (really nice) no issues. I could be something I did with the BIOS update process, not updating the AGESA of video drivers first, can't remember for sure.

It's a shame. I REALLY like AMD processors for their performance & price (not a huge Intel fan - just buy what fast/affordable), but I think the reliability of AMD BIOSes/boards isn't always as reliable as Intel's, something you rarely see talked about on sites that review hardware. I REALLY like AMD's APUs (hope they come out with Desktop Renoir CPUs / B550 boards soon. I might give AMD another shot, this time with a min ITX board, known that I may have to deal with another return again, or at least be more careful the next time I update a BIOS on an AMD board.

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Nov 8, 2019
With Ryzen it is important to make sure that the BIOS matches up with the CPU you are installing. I haven't run into anything like this let, but maybe there is a problem with the latest BIOS.

Alternatively I would check other things. I have had no video issues with a few systems that the problem was with the RAM. Are you able to hook up an onboard speaker or get the POST/beep code?

If you do troubleshoot the problem further I would like to know what the issue is, because I am currently preparing to build 2 systems based on Ryzen 3000.