Onboard / Direct Plug PSU Advice (Mini-itx)

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Hi Guys,

I am working on an upgraded version of my current build but i have run into a small "challenge" maybe you pros can help me with.

Below is my current configuration in RED. I am using an HDPLEX 400w powersupply, and integrated graphics ryzen 5 3400g.

I want to move to the green version and upgrade the processor to an AMD ryzen 7 3,7ghz 8-core processor and A Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB low-profile graphics card.

However now that I'm pushing the build i have power supply and airflow challenges.

The issue is in the red configuration i'm using a 400w power supply that basically blocks the side vents completely. But its fine since the other side is open with 2x 80mm fans so airflow is pretty good.

In the upgraded version on the left there would be the graphics card and on the right the hdplex.

So my thought is:

Can I remove the HDplex 400w (actually too much power even for my current build), and replace it with an onboard DC power supply? (example: https://hdplex.com/hdplex-200w-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html).

Then I have one side open again for 2 80mm fans to keep nice airflow. However, the above power supply is only 200w and according to PC part picker my system could max at like 250w with the upgrades.

Any advice? Does anyone know if there is a small onboard-direct plug power supply that could handle 300w or so?

Or maybe you have other ideas?

Thanks,

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Hey, the configuration you're wanting to do is just like the J-Hack Pure X layout (see my signature). The HDPlex 200w is plenty for a 65W CPU and the 1050ti. I'm doing it through the PicoPSU 160W unit. What is the exact CPU model you're looking to upgrade to?

What will you use for AC/DC? Do you have an external brick?

Have you purchased the 1050ti low profile yet? I've got a Gigabyte one sitting in my spare parts box I'd sell you for real cheap.

mlolm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Hey, finally some feedback! Thanks :)

I have a Gigabyte 1050ti waiting in it's box, a dell 300w powerbrick. I will try the HDPlex 200w. I decided to downgrade to the best 65w TDP amd processor.