Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Update #23: Missing Shipment, Manual Update, & First Mods

----------------------

The Missing Shipment​

We did a full inventory, found which part quantities were missing, and used that to identify exactly which shipment was missing. Our manufacturing partners have filed claims with the shipping carrier. At the same time, we're not going to wait for the claims process (it can take a while) and have decided on re-running the missing parts alongside the last batch of QC rejects. There are 20 cases left to ship in Batch 1. To those of you waiting, thank you for being understanding while we work to resolve this. I'll update with timelines as soon as I hear back from our manufacturing partners.

User Manual Update​

Revision 9 of the user manual comes with minor updates to the early sections and a considerable number of tips added to the water-cooling section, based on feedback we’ve received. The water-cooling instructions are improving, but still require more work.

Please keep that feedback coming. The tips provided were sourced from the community Discord, and should help make building a loop in Winter One easier.

The user manual can be downloaded by scanning the QR code on the card that came with your case, or by clicking This Link

First Winter One Mods posted​

While others in the "Mod Lab" section of the Winter One Discord have been experimenting and coming up with some great ideas, and testing their mods, I decided to go ahead and release 2 mods that I'd promised in one of the earlier updates.

Both Mods can be downloaded or printed from the Winter Design Thingiverse Group. If you've created a few of your own mods, consider sharing them there, as well. We want to support and encourage modding of the case.

• Single Drive Mount - a pair of 3D printed brackets for attaching a single 2.5" drive to your case (the Drive Cage supports 4 drives, but not everyone needs that). Not Compatible with the Pump Bracket.

• Power Cable Shift - A 3D printed insert that shifts the power cable placement in the rear panel, moving the cord out of the way of the bottom radiators. It leaves the bulky part of the connecter hanging out the back, to provide more clearance inside the case.

ChorizoNinja

Average Stuffer
Jan 12, 2020
Update #23: Missing Shipment, Manual Update, & First Mods

----------------------

The Missing Shipment​

We did a full inventory, found which part quantities were missing, and used that to identify exactly which shipment was missing. Our manufacturing partners have filed claims with the shipping carrier. At the same time, we're not going to wait for the claims process (it can take a while) and have decided on re-running the missing parts alongside the last batch of QC rejects. There are 20 cases left to ship in Batch 1. To those of you waiting, thank you for being understanding while we work to resolve this. I'll update with timelines as soon as I hear back from our manufacturing partners.

User Manual Update​

Revision 9 of the user manual comes with minor updates to the early sections and a considerable number of tips added to the water-cooling section, based on feedback we’ve received. The water-cooling instructions are improving, but still require more work.

Please keep that feedback coming. The tips provided were sourced from the community Discord, and should help make building a loop in Winter One easier.

The user manual can be downloaded by scanning the QR code on the card that came with your case, or by clicking This Link

First Winter One Mods posted​

While others in the "Mod Lab" section of the Winter One Discord have been experimenting and coming up with some great ideas, and testing their mods, I decided to go ahead and release 2 mods that I'd promised in one of the earlier updates.

Both Mods can be downloaded or printed from the Winter Design Thingiverse Group. If you've created a few of your own mods, consider sharing them there, as well. We want to support and encourage modding of the case.

• Single Drive Mount - a pair of 3D printed brackets for attaching a single 2.5" drive to your case (the Drive Cage supports 4 drives, but not everyone needs that). Not Compatible with the Pump Bracket.

• Power Cable Shift - A 3D printed insert that shifts the power cable placement in the rear panel, moving the cord out of the way of the bottom radiators. It leaves the bulky part of the connecter hanging out the back, to provide more clearance inside the case.
Would be nice if someone could create a mod to attach 2 noctua nf-a4x20 from the power supply holes to direct some airflow into the ram (for overclocking) in all exhaust config there is pretty much no airflow around that part with watercooling ;)

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Hello!

Finally madethe time to post my build. I went with an air cooled W1 with solid side panels. I've included some temps and a quick summary but this is by no means scientific.

Build Images

Parts:
Mobo - B450i fatal1ty
CPU - 5600x
CPU Cooler - NHL12S
GPU - 3070 Ultra EVGA
Ram - Ballistics 3000 MHZ OC'd to 3600 with this timings guide - OC guide 16-20-16-28-38
Fans - Arctic P14
PSU - SF750
M.2 - WD Blue

Settings
GPU - I've set the 3070 at 0.975V with a target of 1975 mhz clock speed and OC'd the memory to +1000 with good stability. I've used furmark and other power virus software but tbh, Warzone is my usual litmus test and I've not noticed anything odd 99% of the time I play (about 30 h a month)

Fans at full load (WZ) max temps
-
Ambient = 23.4 C
-GPU 50% fan speed at 68 C
-CPU 1100 RPM at 76 C (stock settings, PBO enabled boosting to 4600 mhz)
-Intake/exhaust 750-900 RPM

Learnings
The build process was straightforward despite my idiocy. Instructions were fine and cable routing was easy even with stock cables. I had three snags. One due to the damage to the front panel (slight bend on the bottom left corner). This meant I had to use a hammer (rubber handle side) to tap it into place. I'm not sure if this was missed in the QA or if it had been damaged during transit. Secondly, I screwed the top fans in the wrong config (two sets of fans intake is not the way). I was so confused when I had horrid temps and this was remedied when I switched the top fans to exhaust and kept the bottom as intake! Lastly the GPU bracket to cover the third slot doesn't fit. I used double sided tape to secure it, although this issue has been mentioned in earlier threads and I'm sure it will be rectified.

Summary
It lives up to my expectations.
For the same build in my Dan A4 I'd experience GPU and CPU max temps of 78-80 C with significantly louder fans. For example, the 3070 would be at over 70% RPM with the side panels off and at 18 C ambient. Rather than the hum of the fans, the only things annoying my fiance now is me shouting obscenities during WZ and my mechanical keyboard.

I'm tempted by the SPK in the future but it would have to allow the fans to be used at a significantly lower RPM to improve the noise further (it is quiet). I am also interested in the new noctua 140mm fans as the Arctic P14's sometimes have a strange rattle when they start up from 0 RPM.

Damaged parts
I mentioned the front panel was damaged. Any ideas on how I can bend that corner back? I'd rather fix it than ask Winter to get a whole new part machined as that is truly a waste of metal and time when the case functionality has not been compromised.

Last edited:

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Would be nice if someone could create a mod to attach 2 noctua nf-a4x20 from the power supply holes to direct some airflow into the ram (for overclocking) in all exhaust config there is pretty much no airflow around that part with watercooling ;)

That's not what my experience has been. Going all exhaust into W1 lowered my pch temps by 15*C over just having my board mounted in an atx case with no sides. My ram doesnt display temperature, but I would presume a similar result.

The way the case is laid out, all of the incoming air from the side panels has to hit the motherboard(ram) before it can be pulled into the exhaust fan.

I would also think watercooling the cpu would benefit your memory and pch temps as well...

Reactions: WinterCharm

frio

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2021
My case has been sitting waiting for a wee while now; patiently waiting on a few parts (quick disconnects, Apogee Drive II, connectors for a Corsair PSU so that I can cut my own cables) to arrive. Shipping to New Zealand isn't particularly quick at the best of times, and during a pandemic with widespread stock outages...

Reactions: WinterCharm

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
Any idea when the review from Optimum Tech will go up?
Hopefully before the 14th, but if not I think an extension for batch 2 should be made. But I don't know the details that Winter knows or how fast OptimumTech does his reviews. His viewership would greatly help orders if I had a guess.

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017

I wonder if the GPU temperature hit would be smaller comparing perf. vs solid panels using a 2-2.5 slot GPU? Am I correct in my understanding that these 6-7deg differences are relatively minor and temps are still well under the thermal limits of these components?

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Damaged parts
I mentioned the front panel was damaged. Any ideas on how I can bend that corner back? I'd rather fix it than ask Winter to get a whole new part machined as that is truly a waste of metal and time when the case functionality has not been compromised.
Can you show anymore detailed photos of the damage?

Unbending, bent metal doesn't work so well for me. My first thought is a jewelers file to clean up any obstruction to the side panel track, and a black paint pen to touch up the surface.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
RAM and VRMs are actually quite well cooled even in dual Rad Setups. Most people saw a temperature drop along all of those components, and even the backplate / rear M.2 drives when moving to Winter One.

Such a mod is likely unnecessary, unless you're doing some truly record breaking RAM OC where you might need to pump crazy voltage into the sticks.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hello!

Finally madethe time to post my build. I went with an air cooled W1 with solid side panels. I've included some temps and a quick summary but this is by no means scientific.

Build Images

Parts:
Mobo - B450i fatal1ty
CPU - 5600x
CPU Cooler - NHL12S
GPU - 3070 Ultra EVGA
Ram - Ballistics 3000 MHZ OC'd to 3600 with this timings guide - OC guide 16-20-16-28-38
Fans - Arctic P14
PSU - SF750
M.2 - WD Blue

Settings
GPU - I've set the 3070 at 0.975V with a target of 1975 mhz clock speed and OC'd the memory to +1000 with good stability. I've used furmark and other power virus software but tbh, Warzone is my usual litmus test and I've not noticed anything odd 99% of the time I play (about 30 h a month)

Fans at full load (WZ) max temps
-
Ambient = 23.4 C
-GPU 50% fan speed at 68 C
-CPU 1100 RPM at 76 C (stock settings, PBO enabled boosting to 4600 mhz)
-Intake/exhaust 750-900 RPM

Learnings
The build process was straightforward despite my idiocy. Instructions were fine and cable routing was easy even with stock cables. I had three snags. One due to the damage to the front panel (slight bend on the bottom left corner). This meant I had to use a hammer (rubber handle side) to tap it into place. I'm not sure if this was missed in the QA or if it had been damaged during transit. Secondly, I screwed the top fans in the wrong config (two sets of fans intake is not the way). I was so confused when I had horrid temps and this was remedied when I switched the top fans to exhaust and kept the bottom as intake! Lastly the GPU bracket to cover the third slot doesn't fit. I used double sided tape to secure it, although this issue has been mentioned in earlier threads and I'm sure it will be rectified.

Summary
It lives up to my expectations.
For the same build in my Dan A4 I'd experience GPU and CPU max temps of 78-80 C with significantly louder fans. For example, the 3070 would be at over 70% RPM with the side panels off and at 18 C ambient. Rather than the hum of the fans, the only things annoying my fiance now is me shouting obscenities during WZ and my mechanical keyboard.

I'm tempted by the SPK in the future but it would have to allow the fans to be used at a significantly lower RPM to improve the noise further (it is quiet). I am also interested in the new noctua 140mm fans as the Arctic P14's sometimes have a strange rattle when they start up from 0 RPM.

Damaged parts

Oh that's not good! Send us a support email. We'll get that taken care of. You may be able to bend it back with some needle nose pliers and leverage, but you'll want some rubber in there to avoid damaging the coating. But if that doesn't work, just send us an email (to the support address on the back of the card that came with your case)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What’s the latest on the missing parts run?

B1 parts from the missing shipment are in production!

1. should leave the factories on the 20th of this month.
2. Shipping / Customs / Our QC will take an additional 10-14 days
3. Once that's done, we can ship the remaining cases in B1, most likely by the end of this month.

However the cooling performance in this case is insane! Very well done @WinterCharm. Definately worth every penny!
Running Blender for 30 mins, and the fans are barely audible and keeping a temperature of ~60 degC above ambient. Wow

Thermal performance is fantastic in Winter One. It's the biggest reason for the design decisions we made. I'm anticipating that we'll top the charts when OT reviews the case. :)

Any idea when the review from Optimum Tech will go up?
Last week of the month! :)

(Gotten confirmation from him on the date) - he wants time to do it well and get all those benchmarks done. I'm moving the B2 order closing date to the end of the month for this.

Also Update coming later today! :)

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Update #24 is up!

This is a short one, although there's a lot happening behind the scenes :)

Batch 1 Update​

• Missing Parts are in production!
  • Production is expected to be complete and parts should leave the factories by June 24th.
  • It will take about a 7-14 days to get them stateside, through customs, and through Final QC
  • We’ll be aiming to finish up Batch 1, with remaining Batch 1 orders shipping in the first week of July!

Batch 2 Update​

• Batch 2 orders have reached the Minimum Order Quantity!
  • Batch 2 deadline will be extended to June 30th, to coincide with the Optimum Tech review. This is the last deadline shift we will see for Batch 2 (this is not expected to affect delivery timelines)
  • A limited number of Batch 2 orders will be available after the June 30th soft deadline. **Once the remaining slots are filled, batch 2 orders will be closed, with no exceptions**
  • After June 30th, we will begin finalizing production.
  • Batch 2 should ship before the end of this year.

Incoming Reivew!​

Optimum Tech's review of Winter One should go live in the last week of June. Keep an eye out! :)