Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
@WinterCharm you seem to have a 3090 FE running - could you maybe give an estimate in mm of the ideal length for a 12-pin cable in the WinterOne?

Generally I'm in need of a 24 Pin ATX (150mm?), 8 Pin EPS (250mm?) and a single SATA Power (150mm?) for the Pump - do you think those are reasonable values? (I'm pretty much guessing at this point) Maybe this is something for the FAQ. I'd rather play it save and have a bit extra length instead of min/maxing this :)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to building, EK also send me confirmation on delivery start of my FE block next week 🤩

eblvrm

Chassis Packer
Apr 17, 2020
@WinterCharm I'm getting confused regarding dual GTS 280mm and D5 pump/res combo compatibility. Maximum width for pump/res combo is 63.5mm (post #321) when almost all D5 tops are around 80x80mm. Smallest, widely available D5 Top/Res - Alphacool Esidecke is 80x80 so it looks like there is not enough clearance sideways for any D5 Top at the height of PSU, right?

B) It is, provided your GPU is short enough to give you the clearance to do so. The Cad model shot I posted a while back, showing a pump/res was with a shorter GPU. With 315mm GPU length, there is room in Winter one to use something like a 240mm card, giving you 75mm of clearance, for a D5 pump such as the Swiftech MCP655 with a pump top, while using dual 280mm radiators. This is entirely possible, as reference Design PCBs for the 3080 / 3090 are just 220mm in length, even though the *coolers* are much larger, water blocks like the EK block for these designs also top out at 220mm length :D Which leaves room for a D5 with a res.

Here's render with questioned clearance.

kodek

Caliper Novice
Nov 11, 2020
Another delay on the update - I hope it's not because something bad happened out of the blue. Fingers crossed for second week of March.

@WinterCharm - as we are getting closer to the shipment, is it possible to get any invoice or receipt?

• Sad
Reactions: ckrueger99

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Another delay on the update - I hope it's not because something bad happened out of the blue. Fingers crossed for second week of March.

@WinterCharm - as we are getting closer to the shipment, is it possible to get any invoice or receipt?
In general, I think he falls behind on promises for updates by a day to a few days.

I'm guessing it's basically a one-man show in winter land right now, but as the business hopefully grows with future batches, I hope that the updates and communication can be kept on schedule as stated.

I've been hesitant to make a post like this in here, but I think for the good of the brand it should be stated.

I've got nothing but respect and patience up to this point, but I would hate to see another Optimus in the making here...

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Update #13 is Live!

Note to Backers: If it has changed, please update your Shipping Address (Instructions are in the Kickstarter Update Post, linked above)

General Updates:

Okay, with that out of the way, it's time to talk updates, and there is some really good news to share :)
  • Batch 1 (Black) should begin shipping to backers during the week of March 15th!
  • Batch 2 (Silver) Orders will open shortly after that, with deliveries in April
  • Part production is ⅔ of the way done, and final part deliveries have been scheduled.
  • Packaging looks great, production is nearing completion, and packaging deliveries have been scheduled.

Build Video:

Q&A

Q1:

How will cooling capacity differ between solid (chimney) vs perforated side panel cases given a dual 280mm rad set up with liquid cooling on both CPU and GPU? The solid will have warmer air flowing through the upper rad but perhaps better airflow overall? Can you quantify? Would the solid be noticeably quieter as sound trapped within the case?
A1:
Solid Panels are quieter with noise levels in the 31dBA range rather than 35dBA range at idle with fans running at ~700 RPM. At load and with fans in the 1350 RPM range, noise levels are ~49 dBA with perforated panels and ~45 dBa with solid panels.
Yes, having the radiators sharing airflow does affect cooling efficiency, but the noise tradeoffs are worthwhile for some, and cooling is still incredibly good. This is partially offset by having higher airflow through the case. As a general rule, you will get about 15% higher temperatures in your loop as a result.
Here is some data from early testing (3900X + 2080Ti) with dual 240mm radiators and fans at 1200 RPM.
Solid (Bottom Intake / Top Exhaust)
  • CPU: 76ºC
  • GPU: 54ºC
  • Noise: 43dBa
Perforated (Side Intake / B+T Exhaust)
  • CPU: 60ºC
  • GPU: 45ºC
  • Noise: 47dBa
Difference (∆)
  • CPU ∆: 16ºC
  • GPU ∆: 9ºC
  • Noise ∆: 4dBa
This comes out to approximately a 9-15ºC difference between the two configurations. However, what you get for that temperature difference is the difference between a whisper and a quiet conversation. Both are still incredibly quiet, but there’s a clear tradeoff between the two, for thermal performance or noise, and they both look distinctive. This test was done with slim 27mm radiators (not 30mm), and ambient air was 26ºC (78ºF). Performance in v1.2 should be even better.

Q2:
Were you able to install the WD heatsink on the m.2 installed on the back of the motherboard? Do you have before and after temps? Also, what is the clearance back there for a m.2 heatsink? Curious to know, so that I can search for aftermarket ones that will fit.
A2:
The clearance for a rear m.2 heatsink is:
6mm (total height from the top surface of the SSD's PCB to the top of the heatsink)
8.2mm for the TOTAL SSD + heatsink thickness (including the backplate on the SSD for a 2 part heatsink)
Take care that the M.2 drive heatsink does not push the riser cable against the GPU backplate, as that could affect cooling of the GPU Backplate! If you follow the guidelines above, that should not be an issue. Total clearance will depend on how tall your motherboard's rear m.2 slot is. (if they are lower profile, you may have more room)

Q3:
Also was a shorter air only version of winter one modeled without the space for rads and how did/would this affect airflow?
A3:
Internally, we modeled many different configurations and geometries. The short answer is that it would have a pretty significant effect, because the fans would be pressed up against the components mounted to the central spine. In the case of watercooling, the effect is negligible because water blocks do not restrict the fan / radiator inlets nearly as much as fully air cooled components would (because they tend to be thicker / wider). In air cooled mode, fans close to components can create more noise, and causes the fans to be somewhat starved for flow.

Q4:
In your build, did you use the standard Corsair SFX cables? Are there cable lengths that you recommend for the case? Could be a nice resource to include in the manual.
A4:
I did use the standard Corsair SFX cables for my build, mainly to demonstrate that it could be done and how the spine allows for cable management. Regarding the user’s manual, I think that’s a fantastic idea, and I’ll be sure to add a section for recommended cable lengths, as part of the next update post! :)

Q5:
What limits the pump/reservior size to 154mm when the Mainboard on the other side has a hight of 170mm?
A5:
The pump bracket itself has about 7-8mm of thickness (on the mounting side), and there’s a gap above and below to prevent the part from blocking airflow to radiators and fans. Beyond that, there’s about 2mm of padding in all reported dimensions (what’s on the chart is 1mm smaller than the true dimension) to account for the combined tolerances of your pump / res and a vibration-dampening cork adhesive pad (this 2.5 x 2.5 cm pad comes with the pump bracket and can be clamped between the pump and bracket).

Q6:
you seem to have a 3090 FE running - could you maybe give an estimate in mm of the ideal length for a 12-pin cable in the WinterOne? Generally I'm in need of a 24 Pin ATX (150mm?), 8 Pin EPS (250mm?) and a single SATA Power (150mm?) for the Pump - do you think those are reasonable values? (I'm pretty much guessing at this point) Maybe this is something for the FAQ. I'd rather play it save and have a bit extra length instead of min/maxing this.
A6:
For standard cables, I'll try and inlclude a reasonable range in the user's manual. For some of the more non-standard cables, like the 3090FE 12-pin connector, I'll likely add it to the compatibility spreadsheet or FAQ. If there is information about cabling from other Sandwich Cases, it should be a good estimate in the meantime.

Q7:
I'm getting confused regarding dual GTS 280mm and D5 pump/res combo compatibility. Maximum width for pump/res combo is 63.5mm (post #321) when almost all D5 tops are around 80x80mm. Smallest, widely available D5 Top/Res - Alphacool Esidecke is 80x80 so it looks like there is not enough clearance sideways for any D5 Top at the height of PSU, right?
A7:
This is a very good question. The 63.5 mm clearance comes from the small beam of the central spine that attaches to the front panel of Winter One. However, above and below this area, you have the full clearance between the Side Panel and Power Supply to mount a pump. Here's a handy visual that user Nikfloyd made. The 63.3mm comes from that tab you see above the D5 pump. Above and below that area, it is possible to mount a D5 pump / reservoir.

(Credit: @nikfloyd )

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
In general, I think he falls behind on promises for updates by a day to a few days.

I'm guessing it's basically a one-man show in winter land right now, but as the business hopefully grows with future batches, I hope that the updates and communication can be kept on schedule as stated.

Pretty spot-on right now. The feedback is noted and appreciated. It's definitely something I want to improve in the future!

Don't....don't get my hopes up UNLESS YOU INTEND TO DELIVER.
I wouldn't have posted the "Soon" meme, if I hadn't already known by then 😄. ~ 2 weeks to go!

I was very surprised while I was browsing Instagram stories.😉
I was wondering who'd spot that first. Congratulations!

Invoices / Receipts should be handled on Kickstarter's end. IIRC they'll be sent out through KS via email, along with tracking information, when the case ships.

Last edited:

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Q7:
I'm getting confused regarding dual GTS 280mm and D5 pump/res combo compatibility. Maximum width for pump/res combo is 63.5mm (post #321) when almost all D5 tops are around 80x80mm. Smallest, widely available D5 Top/Res - Alphacool Esidecke is 80x80 so it looks like there is not enough clearance sideways for any D5 Top at the height of PSU, right?
A7:
This is a very good question. The 63.5 mm clearance comes from the small beam of the central spine that attaches to the front panel of Winter One. However, above and below this area, you have the full clearance between the Side Panel and Power Supply to mount a pump. Here's a handy visual that user Nikfloyd made. The 63.3mm comes from that tab you see above the D5 pump. Above and below that area, it is possible to mount a D5 pump / reservoir.

Could you provide some dimensions referencing the pump bracket to the center spine? This is actually kind of a big deal I hadn't considered.

For example, will the "body" of the EK XRES REVO D5 fit under the spine at around 60mm from the center of the bracket? (Max effort dwg below)

Reactions: WinterCharm

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
If you take anything away from my comment, please understand that disappointing communication is better than no communication.

If you're behind the 8-ball, and can't make a deadline - send an email, make a forum post, communicate it to your buyers. I think you're well on your way to a loyal base of buyers... But look how Optimus screwed that up - and learn from them.

They couldn't make deadlines for whatever reason, and ignored their problems out of existence. Meanwhile customers are pissed because they can't even get an email letting them know that their part is not ready to be shipped yet.

Keep an open line of communication with your groupies here, and you'll be square. Customer service can make our break a small company

Ok, I'm off my soap box.

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
If you take anything away from my comment, please understand that disappointing communication is better than no communication.

If you're behind the 8-ball, and can't make a deadline - send an email, make a forum post, communicate it to your buyers. I think you're well on your way to a loyal base of buyers... But look how Optimus screwed that up - and learn from them.

They couldn't make deadlines for whatever reason, and ignored their problems out of existence. Meanwhile customers are pissed because they can't even get an email letting them know that their part is not ready to be shipped yet.

Keep an open line of communication with your groupies here, and you'll be square. Customer service can make our break a small company

Ok, I'm off my soap box.
Absolutely. I'd much rather be disappointed then left in the dark. The promiser will end up with many more emails from promisee's asking about their order anyway, so it becomes a false economy to ignore. Can't wait for this product to be in my hands!

My internet dropped out for 6 hours yesterday during work hours. After contacting vodafone they told me there was a scheduled maintenance. No text, email or warning about it so I couldn't prepare. Still managed to get their advertisement texts through the day before though. /rant over

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
@WinterCharm

Since ventilated panels are not available as spare parts, can I know their exact sizes? I would like to start working on mine... Perhaps you would prefer that I wait until I receive the Winter One?

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
Could you provide some dimensions referencing the pump bracket to the center spine? This is actually kind of a big deal I hadn't considered.

For example, will the "body" of the EK XRES REVO D5 fit under the spine at around 60mm from the center of the bracket? (Max effort dwg below)
Thanks for writing big deal, that got my attention - I refitted my stuff with the (for me new, as I havent been following too closely) spine and just realized my plan wont work out.

Is there actually any other option then the one shown by @nikfloyd for using a D5 with 2x280s?

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019

Ok, I'm off my soap box.

I take your point, however @WinterCharm has been more communicative/efficient with answering questions and maintaining a consistent presence than I've seen on this forum, or elsewhere. He has occasionally missed an update by a day. He has in no way ignored any problems, or failed to communicate the status of the project/his intentions.

I realize this is an expensive case and I understand the excitement that drives people to check the status obsessively, but consumer culture has reached the height of its toxicity. Self importance is off the charts. We've been given no reason to believe that this product will not be delivered as quickly as possible, or that its creator is acting nefariously. We've been treated like adults. Let's act like adults.

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
So I keep reading several posts about pump compatibility now and am lost. Can someone post 2-3 good pump/res combinations which are usable in the W1 please?

Can I use a

GLACIER R160 with a DDC pump?​

Last edited:
Reactions: WinterCharm