Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Were you able to install the WD heatsink on the m.2 installed on the back of the motherboard? Do you have before and after temps?

Also, what is the clearance back there for a m.2 heatsink? Curious to know, so that I can search for aftermarket ones that will fit.

Semi-concerned about sticking a hot SN850 into the rear m.2 slot on the motherboard.

Thank you!
Unfortunately, I was not able to install the stock SN750 heatsink. I Pulled the SSD out, and then put the heatsink on... Gigabyte's backplate on the B550i doesn't have enough clearance. It wouldn't go back into the M.2 slot. I'll probably get some zip ties and a thermal pad and attach the front of it onto the drive later, or maybe pull the backplate off, and use sandpaper to widen the slot so the cooler can fit. It's literally off by ~ .5mm which is pretty maddening 😓

But I did take real-life measurements. The clearance for a rear m.2 heatsink is:
  • 6mm (total height from the top surface of the SSD's PCB to the top of the heatsink)
  • 8.2mm for the TOTAL SSD + heatsink thickness (including the backplate on the SSD for a 2 part heatsink)
  • Take care that the M.2 drive heatsink does *not* push the riser cable against the GPU backplate, as that could affect cooling of the GPU Backplate! If you follow the guidelines above, that should *not* be an issue.
  • Total clearance will depend on how tall your motherboard's rear m.2 slot is. (if they are lower profile, you may have more room)
The SN850 does put out a bit more heat than the SN750 (6.7W vs 5.9W), but Winter One was designed to give airflow to rear M.2 drives in both of the recommended cooling configurations. Even without a heatsink my SN750 didn't get past 70C for a 500GB write. For your SN850 with the higher power consumption, it may hit 75 or 77C, but should still be okay as M.2 Drives don't throttle until 89C+ (typically).

Last edited:
Reactions: RyuGTX and Qzrx

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Is there a significant difference between GTS 280 and LS 280 that you've decided to buy them even though you have LS?
Performance wise, you will find LS rad is rated at 100W of heat dissipation lower than GTS counterparts (HWL's own rating). This is because GTS series has 2 more tubes, 1 on each side of the rad, than LS series (OEM version), thus you'll find the width being larger by 13mm (133/153mm) vs. standard radiator (120/140mm).

Convenience-wise, not sure about the LS bought on PPCS, but the branded OEM ones (i.e. Bitspower, Corsair) has 4 G1/4 ports vs. 2 of the standard GTS allowing more flexibility of loop design, plus you can use the extra ports as fill/drain as you wish.

Edit: only Bitspower version has 4 ports, other OEM versions has only 2 ports

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Is there a significant difference between GTS 280 and LS 280 that you've decided to buy them even though you have LS?

Short answer, no.

The gts has slightly more heat dissipation capacity. The l series is slightly more restrictive.

Would you notice this in winter one build? Probably not.

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
How will cooling capacity differ between solid (chimney) vs perforated side panel (exhaust top and bottom) cases given a dual 280mm rad set up with liquid cooling on both CPU and GPU? The solid will have warmer air flowing through the upper rad but perhaps better airflow overall? Can you quantify? Would the solid be noticeably quieter as sound trapped within the case?

Last edited:

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
Convenience-wise, not sure about the LS bought on PPCS, but the branded OEM ones (i.e. Bitspower, Corsair) has 4 G1/4 ports vs. 2 of the standard GTS allowing more flexibility of loop design, plus you can use the extra ports as fill/drain as you wish.

I never noticed the Corsair/Bitspower rads have ports on both sides, that is going to make life a lot easier.

Edit: Actually I believe the OEMs only have 2 also.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
What limits the pump/resavior size to 154mm when the Mainboard on the other side has a hight of 170mm?
The pump mount that it sits on raises it 16mm above the bottom fans. If you want to use double-sided tape or some other method to affix it to the front panel I don’t think there’s anything stopping you from utilizing the full 170mm of height.

Reactions: WinterCharm

SaMandria

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
The pump mount that it sits on raises it 16mm above the bottom fans. If you want to use double-sided tape or some other method to affix it to the front panel I don’t think there’s anything stopping you from utilizing the full 170mm of height.
That makes a lot of sense in hindsight

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

------------------------------------------

Also, This week's update includes Q&A, which is why I haven't been answering as many questions in this thread lately (they're being compiled for the update instead).

If you'd like your question answered in this next update post, now's the time to ask :)

I know it's been a long wait, but we're finally seeing all our supply chain efforts pay off. So far, it's been all good news and everyone meeting timelines. There will be more during the update, But things are looking good.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Now there is a new generation of hardware labs 280 rads comming:

Sadly they wont work on W1?

That's the old radiator they had. (copyright range at the bottom is 2009-2015), indicating it's an old page.

If you go to Hardwarelabs.com, and mouseover the Products menu, the stuff closest to the top is the newest. The stuff below that (Black Ice line) is older.