Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
btw, anyone planning on using custom cables and has put in some thought on length yet? I guess when I go all the way, might aswell get some nice cables and get rid of that 12-pin adapter :D
I will. I have a SF750 on pre order and almost all the custom cabling supplies. I'm not a big fan of individually sleeved cables since they add too much bulk. I want to do something like Silverstone's flat cables since they have the cleanest look and take up the least amount of space. Guessing solely on WinterCharm's build video: 24 pin will be a very short maybe six inch cable and will be bent over the top of the power supply so that it sits between the power supply and the case, ATX12 will also follow the same path as the 24 pin but will extend further, the two or three PCIe cables will be about about 8 inches long and will be mounted on the fan side of the power supply perpendicular to the front panel.

I want to do spring contacts for the fans along with a shroud that hides the main body of the fans exposing only the fan blades. Not sure how I'm going to do this but its an idea. The main reason for this is because I don't like cables and if I can reduce the amount of cables I can see the better. I also don't want to make any modifications to the case nor the fans, mods that can be reversed are fine. Noctua fans aren't cheap and I will not cut the wires on them. I also love the idea of being able to remove the top and bottom panels without removing an fan cables. I can glue the spring contacts to the front panel and can route them to the motherboard with the power button cable.

I actually like the 12 pin connector since its a little smaller than two eight pins and is a single small connector instead of two large. I like the idea of one big connector rather than two split connectors.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Spreading the Word:

Bit of guerrilla marketing. Target audience so why not :)

Whoa. 94% funded. We are nearly there.
The Kickstarter notifications should be going out in an hour for those who saved.
Congratulations to all who backed it. Thank you @WinterCharm.

Should have updated in r/sffpc more.
Proud to share my little bit of effort.

OT just released a video on 5950x + 3090 in T1 and that it's not really working out thermally - let's go WinterArmy bomb the comments :D

This is awesome. Thank you for helping to spread the word <3. Let's be careful to not brigade another creator. If one person wants to mention it and a bunch of people want to thumbs-up the comment, that would be okay. I just want to be careful that we aren't being obnoxious or annoying.

---------

More Than One:

That person saved me from looking like a complete idiot with a bunch of computer parts sitting around and no case to put them in.

I'm waiting and watching. If it comes down to it, I'm also prepared to back another case.

I figure once these get out on the wild, there will be more desire and I shouldn't have trouble selling it.

That's hugely appreciated. But also, (and this is addressed to no one in particular) please avoid over-committing. I don't want me to be the reason any of you experience financial hardship <3

----------

Ordering and General Questions:

Backed. It looks like I'm not going to be able to get a 5900X or 3080 here in Aus for a while, so decided to grab the case instead. It'll stay nicely packed away until the SPK is released.

Um, how do we get our address to you?

Thank you for backing Winter One <3 :)
When the kickstarter is over, they will send out a survey asking for everyone's addresses, and give that list to me.

So, is the HWL GTS 280 recommended? According to the dimensions, it is 312mm x 153mm x 29.6mm, which barely fits.
Is it the best slim 280mm radiator? Or is another one better?

The case was designed around the GTS 280, so I can confirm it fits.

I don't know how but I've managed to get the dream discount (someone withdrew?). Happy to back the project :)

You got *very* lucky, as someone else cancelled their order. Nicely done.

I thought Linus released the video but this is even better! This means that when LTT releases the video it’s going to probably reach the stretch goal!!! Silver Winter One here I come!

I'm not sure when Linus will be releasing the video, as they didn't give me a timeline after telling me it was delayed.

-----------

That Crazy Bulk Order

I would 100% like to know what made them want the case. That is fantastic, congratulations!

Maybe they wanted to host a Winter One giveaway... or they wanted to have an excuse to support the fundraising XD

End of year annual budget usage boys

So I was curious enough that I messaged them and had a video call with them. Turns out they're an Architectural Firm. They needed powerful, quiet, well-designed computer cases that also look fantastic and are very compact. They gave me a video tour of the office space they'll go into, and basically the long and short of it is they often work with clients, in real-time and have CAD or Rendering work going. Workstations are loud, hard to hide, and really obnoxious, and they wanted something they / clients wouldn't have to yell over.

It actually sounds far less crazy than I thought it would be at first. ^-^ I didn't realize there was such a market for quiet, dense, and powerful machines, but it makes sense if you're a high end firm, and the average client is giving you a multimillion dollar project, that you might want to make sure their in-office appointments are pleasant.

-------

Optimum Tech

curious as to why OT has refused to pickup the winterone for review. He could have single handedly steered many sff entusiasts towards the winter one.!

Could it be that he wants to wait until at least a batch has been dispatched? looking at the other case he reviewed that was on a kickstarter.

I think @Nouvolo had previously said that OT now tries to avoid reviewing products before they are released.

I think at this point, it's probably best that no reviews are published on the beta cases.

Strategically, I think waiting for a production case to show is much better... And something can be done about the photography.

One of the (interesting) benefits of stepping up the Marketing Campaign, was Optimum Tech actually got back to me! We talked for a bit, and basically, due to the last prototype he reviewed for a Kickstarter, and how it's been a complete mess -- That project (won't be named), ruined it for everyone. Classic case of "This is why we cannot have nice things"... going forward OT will no longer review Beta versions of *any* case, afaik. He said he would review Winter One after a few batches were produced...

------------------

Other Replies:

I'm looking up stainless steel 12/10 tubing on aliexpress in the sale as we speak. Going to hardline the hell out of my two 280's that have already been ordered.

Ooooh, I cannot wait to see what you'll create in this case :eek:

@WinterCharm post KS closure will you have an indiegogo or similar system for others who want to order? Especially since more will want to order following final review unit videos going live.

Orders for Batch Two will open later, yes :)

@WinterCharm Can you confirm the length of the PCI-E riser cable for the final version. I know it is gen 3 but I will most likely need to buy a Gen4 one as CSM in some bioses will reset every single time you update your drivers, and that can be a really big pain.
WinterCharm mentioned it on reddit. 18,5 cm double reverse

That is correct!!! 18.5cm double reverse.

I just went in and ajdusted my pledge to go with double perforated panels.
WinterCharm what is the new poster add-on option?

The poster is exactly what you think it is. It'll be a dark blue 30cm x 25cm poster, with a blueprint exploded view of Winter One, signed by me. Limited edition, and will only ever be made for the kickstarter :)

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Congratulations WinterCharm, looks like the Kickstater will be fully funded anytime now.

As the silver option looks like it won't happen, will it be available in the future?

I would be willing to back another case if we're close to the 300 mark. I could then make my own two tone beta tester special ?.

Quick note: for those of you wondering, we are currently sitting at ~200 case orders (some people have ordered more than one) so don't go by the backer count when trying to evaluate that stretch goal.

There is also a bit of a backup plan if we don't reach 300, to still accommodate silver cases. We'll announce more tonight in an official announcement / backer update :)

@WinterCharm a small detail but is the power button cable sleeved?

Right now, no. I'm currently considering how to do it. The reason for leaving it unsleeved was to make it easier to desolder the keyswitch, in case you want to put a different one in there. Even if we sleeved it, I would want to leave the ends exposed to facilitate this, so I'm not sure if there's as much point to doing so.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on that.

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
Right now, no. I'm currently considering how to do it. The reason for leaving it unsleeved was to make it easier to desolder the keyswitch, in case you want to put a different one in there. Even if we sleeved it, I would want to leave the ends exposed to facilitate this, so I'm not sure if there's as much point to doing so.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on that.
I just want it to be all black. sleeved or not. If you can’t make both black then I’ll paint it black.

Reactions: Mikecom32