Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Okay everyone. The plan to get this project a lot more exposure is now underway. PCMR Moderators have let me know that I can run a contest in the subreddit!

This is the post. All of you may enter, provided you have a reddit account (had to follow the rules of the subreddit). This is one of the best ways to give the project exposure to a huge community of PC building enthusiasts!

---------

Edit:

WE HAVE MOVEMENT :D

6 new orders on the kickstarter! <3

Here we goooooo. :)

I mean... this is probably hypocritical of me since I did enter the giveaway, but I do think hosting one may not be the best way to urge people to fund the project.

A lot of people may settle for entering the giveaway rather than helping the project reach its goal, no?

I hope it makes it - would be nice to see some real movement in the SFF PC space.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
If the worse happens and the kickstarter fails, I rather you relaunch at a later period when the situation has improved, rather than taking a huge financial hit and funding it yourself. I am personally in no rush and with the current situation it might not be smart to take such a risk.

I already decided this was going to be my case. I can be patient.

ViperSSD

Case Bender
New User
Sep 21, 2020
I am in total agreement here, this could be risk for you to do this and also the opportunity cost of those funds may be higher elsewhere.

• Love

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
I wouldn't mind another kickstarter if it means we have a closer chance to 1200 backers (or 300 backers). I really want that SPK and silver case.

Assuming the kickstarter succeeds in reaching $67k, how will the case be sold afterwards? Will the SPK still be in development even if 1200 backers isnt reached but the case manages to reach that number after the kickstarter? I think the SPK is the biggest feature of this case (I feel like i've said that five times already).

Would it be possible to see the v11 before kickstarter ends?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I did some research and the 3090 TUF OC seems to be the best 3090 this case can fit?

Based on the airflow in this case, the FE models will likely perform the best, but the TUF OC is a close contender, though, as it has a massive and extremely robust heatsink, so it will probably win outright in thermals. Just be sure to lower the case fan RPMs so the coolers doesn't overwhelm the GPU exhaust (keep it below 1000 rpm, and really below 750 to be safe!)

I am curious about the silver color. Does it have a higher production cost?

From what I’ve seen I think most people prefer the silver, but maybe I’m wrong?

Silver doesn't have a higher production cost but it does have a higher QA and QC cost, as it means needing to match the color and stock of the parts. In terms of silver vs black anodized parts, I saw about 18% higher color mismatches, and 11% higher part errors (surface finishes, etc). So overall it's a more challenging color to produce, and you have to be careful that your supply metals are consistent and of the same batch, as the metal structure and minor alloying differences will still show after bead blasting and a clear anodize.

That's why black is the first color.

Would you be able to link a store front to your site? I think once some of these production cases get into the wild, on the right scenarios, the could generate a good amount of interest.

And, worse case scenario, if this gets relaunched, can we get the same discount we qualified for on the next go round?

On a side note, I haven't been this excited about a computer product in quite some time...

So, IF the kickstarter fails, we will Relaunch. How that should go is:

1. Open orders on our website in a little bit.
2. Honor every Kickstarter Discount that any of you got as backers -- seriously, I cannot thank you all enough for believing in this project and backing it, so I want to make damn sure that you all feel loved and appreciated for being part of the Kickstarter <3. (I'll verify this with your names / backer numbers, so please use the same names / tell me your backer number in the new system)
3. We will still try to use the production run that we have on reserve, and will try to deliver by December, but this may slip back a bit / not be possible. it depends on how long it'll take for us to process payments and get the order submitted. That will depend on how quickly we can set up our own website to accept payments and preorders... but we'll do whatever we can to make it happen.

Would a relaunch delay production or are you already committed to that?

It may, it may not. The window will be really tight, and the timeline was already quite compressed because of how crunched the kickstarter became, however. It would be a financial hit if I missed this production run.

I'mma back another case once I get off work, I know others might find that crazy but luckily I'm doing well enough financially to allow that.

Holy crap. You did not need to do that, but thank you so much <3

I mean... this is probably hypocritical of me since I did enter the giveaway, but I do think hosting one may not be the best way to urge people to fund the project.

A lot of people may settle for entering the giveaway rather than helping the project reach its goal, no?

I hope it makes it - would be nice to see some real movement in the SFF PC space.

The giveaway will end before the Kickstarter ends, so people who don't get it, but really wanted the case anyways will have a chance to sneak in during the last 12 hours.

If the worse happens and the kickstarter fails, I rather you relaunch at a later period when the situation has improved, rather than taking a huge financial hit and funding it yourself. I am personally in no rush and with the current situation it might not be smart to take such a risk.

I am in total agreement here, this could be risk for you to do this and also the opportunity cost of those funds may be higher elsewhere.

I'm inclined to agree here -- If it's really close to the finish line (Under $5k or so) it would be much easier to just make those last few orders, and have it all work out via Kickstarter. However, If the gap remains as large as it is right now, it would be a lot of money to push it through, as I need to keep funds aside for other things that the company will need.

I wouldn't mind another kickstarter if it means we have a closer chance to 1200 backers (or 300 backers). I really want that SPK and silver case.

Assuming the kickstarter succeeds in reaching $67k, how will the case be sold afterwards? Will the SPK still be in development even if 1200 backers isnt reached but the case manages to reach that number after the kickstarter? I think the SPK is the biggest feature of this case (I feel like i've said that five times already).

Would it be possible to see the v11 before kickstarter ends?

1. Assuming the kickstarter succeeds in reaching $67k, how will the case be sold afterwards? ---- It will be sold in batches, with orders >> production, and a tight turnaround. JIT manufacturing can be a pain for small batch things, but it's more economically viable, and reduces overall costs, as no one has to pay for warehousing of completed parts.
2. SPK Development will continue even if 1200 backers isn't reached. 1200 backers would have allowed us to fund SPK development fully. Without that, the SPK will have to be pushed back, but development will continue. It'll slow down, as we work around having less funds for it... (as more batches are sold this problem will go away. We have a partner, we have their willingness to help, but funding has to come from Winter Design Co).

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
The above post is full of great news, and thanks again for being so open with us here. Definitely hope the Kickstarter succeeds but I’m glad you have a plan if it doesn’t. My 5800X arrives tomorrow and then I’ll just sit back and wait for the case. ?

• Love

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
is the silver anodized aluminum? I would have imagined the black anodized would be harder to do than silver.

Both are anodized aluminum. Weirdly enough black is easier than silver. Both can have color variations, but silver is trickier because the anodize coating is clear and you're actually showing the metal underneath.

Reactions: thelaughingman

RltyCntrtnst

Efficiency Noob
Nov 9, 2020
Very interested in the case, amazing design! Will most likely await a clear side-panel version before placing my order though.
Do you have any plans for front I/O in later revisions?
I'd love to attempt a few mod designs (handle, front I/O bracket, general loop layout, etc), is the CAD model available for download anywhere?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Very interested in the case, amazing design! Will most likely await a clear side-panel version before placing my order though.
I'd love to attempt a few mod designs (handle, front I/O bracket, general loop layout, etc), is the CAD model available for download anywhere?
you better back the case now to make it happen sooner since panel options will be introduced separately

Thank you for backing Winter One :) Your NZXT 240mm AIO is perfect for this case :) And yes, I'll be selling other types of side panels in the future, separately.

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Can I ask where you heard about the case?
r/pcmasterrace, or r/sffpc or add.net.
Atleast we would know which platform has more reach and can double down on that.

Reactions: Koxx5D

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020

The above post is full of great news, and thanks again for being so open with us here. Definitely hope the Kickstarter succeeds but I’m glad you have a plan if it doesn’t. My 5800X arrives tomorrow and then I’ll just sit back and wait for the case. ?

I'm like many here, I want this case, and if we have to wait to get it, it's not a problem. I still don't have a processor or a graphic card, I can wait for the prices to go down.

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Haloooo,

So i'm fancying one of the new GPU's (3080 or a 6800xt). I would also like to use solid side panels and have minimal noise. I'd like to put together a table which showcases compatable GPU's with solid/non-solid panels for this case, so how thick of a GPU can you go with solid? E.G the new sapphire 6800xt's are 2.7 slot (55.3 cm) in thickness. is 0.3 slots enough breathing room?

Still crossing my fingers for the kickstarter <3

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Haloooo,

So i'm fancying one of the new GPU's (3080 or a 6800xt). I would also like to use solid side panels and have minimal noise. I'd like to put together a table which showcases compatable GPU's with solid/non-solid panels for this case, so how thick of a GPU can you go with solid? E.G the new sapphire 6800xt's are 2.7 slot (55.3 cm) in thickness. is 0.3 slots enough breathing room?

Still crossing my fingers for the kickstarter <3

2.5 slots or less is recommended for solid side panels. You really need the 15mm+ clearance for good intake in the GPU cooler.

Reactions: DrHudacris

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I'mma back another case once I get off work, I know others might find that crazy but luckily I'm doing well enough financially to allow that.
I'm waiting and watching. If it comes down to it, I'm also prepared to back another case.

I figure once these get out on the wild, there will be more desire and I shouldn't have trouble selling it.

• Love