Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
I told in this tread about KS project. No one listened. Just thumbs down and mark as troll.
Time of pc cases, itx cases at KS is gone. If you do not make something phenomenal and/or promote it hard before launch, you will fail.

• Sad
Reactions: Qzrx and Koxx5D

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I've got an sf750, x570 strix, and apogee drive ii, along with nickel hard tube waiting for this case.

I'm going to be moving away from my O11xl for this case. I would LOVE to put something together in it.

I'm on Ohio until the 14th, but home is north GA for me.

The phenomenal thing about this case is <20l, and 560mm with of radiator....

Reactions: Goatee

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Still got a week. Curious to see what @WinterCharm’s upcoming marketing plan is.

The Marketing Plan:

1. Google and Facebook Ads -- putting this in front of more people is a big deal. The more we do this, the more likely someone is to consider backing it. We're A/B testing some ads, and trying to target the right communities, right now, as part of spinning up Paid Marketing. It'll take a few days to see the effects of this plan, but we'll do our best to make it happen.
2. Hosting a Giveaway on /r/SFFPC and maybe PCMR. (Coming tomorrow!).
3. More posts on /r/SFFPC and /r/WaterCooling as these two subreddits are a huge part of the target market.
4. Reached out to some Instagram Influencers that make content around Small Form Factor PCs, to get some more things posted and upvoted.
5. Made a post about Winter One on ProductHunt -- it would be awesome if people :)
6. There is now an official Twitter Account and an Instagram Account where I'm about to start posting content, but growing a following in just a few days is tough, so I'm relying far more on the paid ads.

what happens when the Kickstarter campaign can’t reach its goal? Will the case not be available?

This project just needs some more exposure. Even some people on /r/sffpc have no idea the case exists.

The way I see it, this could go in a few ways:

1. Word gets out and the project gets funded.
2. WinterCharm funds the rest of KS. But then he loses money in KS fees, and he put plenty of money into the project already.
3. KS gets canceled and relaunched at a later date, maybe after LTT release their video and Ali decides to respond and review the case. But then you lose the already reserved manufacturing capacity (which I'm sure wasn't free) and push the manufacture to who-knows-when.
4. Project gets canned, which would suck major balls.

But we still have a week to go, so let's hope for the best.

The "What Happens If..."

• Scenario 1 Now that the alternate marketing plan is in place, we're doing our best to make this Kickstarter Happen.
  • Scenario 2: This is a possibility I'm exploring right now, and it might be possible to do, but it'll be a stretch.
  • Scenario 3: KS gets canceled and relaunched at a later date -- this would suck, but I could withstand the financial hit of the reserved manufacturing capacity. It would hurt, but it would not be the end of the world.
  • Scenario 4: This will NOT happen... even if we don't succeed this time around, I'm not going to let the time, effort, and community input that was put into this project go to waste. <3

Over the next few days, getting this project in front of enough people is going to be tough, but It can be done. I'll be doing everything I can to drive more people to at least consider Winter One. The amount of love and encouragement I've seen is amazing. Last few days have been rough, but we'll make it through. :)

Only found out about this project recently, but instantly backed it when I saw what you’re doing! Love the look/design of the case, and having the panels of the case basically be the entire “support structure” is genius - frees up a bunch of space inside the case.

I’m coming from a NCASE M1, and it’s a great case - been using it for 4+ years - but just too tight and not enough air flow for my tastes. I need cooler temps, especially since getting my hands on a 3080.

Two questions:

1) I currently have a 240mm NZXT AIO - did you think an AIO such as this will play nice with the case? Most of the water cooling discussion in this thread seems to be around custom loops, which is not a thing I’m actively looking to get into.

2) Will we eventually be able to buy different side panels? I’m going with the perforated panels because I want maximum airflow/cooling capability, but I do like the look of the solid of the solid panels and would like to someday play around with mixing and matching different panels.

Super excited for this project - now I just hope it gets funded. Good luck!

Thank you for backing Winter One :) Your NZXT 240mm AIO is perfect for this case :) And yes, I'll be selling other types of side panels in the future, separately.

I don't know if its finalized? but is there pump/res dimensions if we use the bracket?

Pump Bracket was just finalized. It only takes ~ 6.5mm away from the available space, and is usable in a variety of orientations, mounting to 2 of the 4 screw holes in the front panel, designed for accessories and mods. It's usable in a *lot* of configurations, but is designed to stay out of the way. :)

I ended up throwing things around in Sketchup to plan my loop and realized if I would use the upcoming FE block from EK, I'd have to go with the terminal that is faceing out of the side not to the pump. This means I'll probably go with 2x90's to connect the Pump to the GPU.

This leaves me with 2 questions @WinterCharm :
a) Can you tell me what is the total clearance from the PSU to the sidepanel (red line)
b) I assume the pump bracket is something like an "L" like in the screenshots you once posted: Will I be able to adjust the height somewhat freely (to align the pump outlet with the GPU inlet) or is it fixed? (blue line)

Thanks in advance :)

a. That red line is around 84mm.
b. The Pump Bracket wasn't finalized, and the "finished" design is much better, as it gives you a lot more mounting options, in multiple orientations.

We've played around with this, or something similar in my lab. Not recommended. Left a few pieces on a window sill on a warm day and came back to permanently deformed parts.

Yeah, having a panel melt off your case is hardly a good experience :3

i actually like it but most users keep it at the rainbow cycle and they often don't sync. proper rgb can easily complement a theme on a build though if you actually set up proper lighting and shading.

When it's done well, accent lighting looks amazing in a case.

I would be happy to transplant my current T1 hardline loop to a beta test case, take some photo’s then send the case back.
I'm sure others on here would support you the same.

I guess the issue may be getting a case to anyone in time.

If you live nearby, message me. Let's see if we can make it work! :)

My ideal marketing pic would be a MacBook on one side and Winter One on the other. People are going to think, "Did Apple make a Mac Pro mini?"

That's an interesting idea... and perhaps one I'll play around with :)

I told in this tread about KS project. No one listened. Just thumbs down and mark as troll.
Time of pc cases, itx cases at KS is gone. If you do not make something phenomenal and/or promote it hard before launch, you will fail.

It's much more that the marketing side of things at the top of the funnel fell through. Where I tentatively had a large creator that was lined up to make a great content piece on time, shipping delays on parts they needed, + video scheduling issues due to how many bloody things launched in the last 4 weeks torpedoed those plans. The Project is 70% funded, however, and we still have a week to go, so it's not over yet. :)

Winter One is a phenomenally good product. That's not the part which is "wrong". If we have to do a re-launch, the marketing strategy will be re-thought. But for now, we still have a week, and there's a *really* good chance that this project can still be successful.

Last edited:

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
@Post-Newt
I think I've got 8 total and 4 sitting in my fittings bin (one still in packaging). I might be able to part with a couple... ☺

Edit: you can also get some barrowch piano elbows. I don't like them though b/c it's a brass core with an aluminum alloy body.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000559430437.html

If you're in the us, I'll take as many as you can spare. I've looked everywhere and they're the one thing holding up putting in a hardline build. Koolance has updated their website tracker 3 times now -_-

G-Rul1511

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 29, 2020
The Marketing Plan:

1. Google and Facebook Ads -- putting this in front of more people is a big deal. The more we do this, the more likely someone is to consider backing it. We're A/B testing some ads, and trying to target the right communities, right now, as part of spinning up Paid Marketing. It'll take a few days to see the effects of this plan, but we'll do our best to make it happen.

Perhaps instagram ads as well? My friend has lauded that platform for being affordable while being able to pinpoint the exact target demographic.

Have you thought of referral programmes as well? Some KS campaigns associate money back for bringing in 'friends' who purchase, those are probably easy 'word-of-mouth' marketing i can think of.

Wishing u all the success :D

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
only 6 days left and the backed amount is slightly going down.
Thank you for the transparency regarding the KS campaign, I hope you can make it work somehow.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Unfortunately I can't help the project much, but the more time goes by, the more I know I will have this case.

By the way, I have some questions, do you think the black DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V can be installed in the winter one, which fans can I install for my GTS 280?

I will receive the motherboard next week - Asus Strix X570-I, but I will wait a little bit before I buy the processor and the graphics card. I will certainly need your advice later.

Mikecom32

Chassis Packer
Oct 27, 2020
Unfortunately I can't help the project much, but the more time goes by, the more I know I will have this case.

By the way, I have some questions, do you think the black DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V can be installed in the winter one, which fans can I install for my GTS 280?

I will receive the motherboard next week - Asus Strix X570-I, but I will wait a little bit before I buy the processor and the graphics card. I will certainly need your advice later.

I have a similar setup (Asus X570-I and Ripjaws V RAM). The RAM shouldn't be an issue - it sits lower than other parts of the motherboard.

The biggest issue you will have is likely the BIOS. The Asus X570-I does not have the ability to flash the BIOS without a compatible CPU. The board I received last week has a BIOS version that does not support Zen 3. I have to borrow a Zen 2 CPU from a friend to flash the BIOS to a newer version.

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
The Kickstarter funding seems to be not growing... If this keeps on happening, we may not reach the goal of $67,000. If the Kickstarter is not funded, is there a plan?

Reactions: WinterCharm

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I can't really justify spending that much. I'm pretty sure we hit MOQ that WinterCharm mentioned a while back (which could've changed in the mean time, so don't quote me on that).
This project just needs some more exposure. Even some people on /r/sffpc have no idea the case exists.

The way I see it, this could go in a few ways:
1. Word gets out and the project gets funded.
2. WinterCharm funds the rest of KS. But then he loses money in KS fees, and he put plenty of money into the project already.
3. KS gets canceled and relaunched at a later date, maybe after LTT release their video and Ali decides to respond and review the case. But then you lose the already reserved manufacturing capacity (which I'm sure wasn't free) and push the manufacture to who-knows-when.
4. Project gets canned, which would suck major balls.

But we still have a week to go, so let's hope for the best.
By scenario 1, you mean LTT/OT reviews it?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Okay everyone. The plan to get this project a lot more exposure is now underway. PCMR Moderators have let me know that I can run a contest in the subreddit!

This is the post. All of you may enter, provided you have a reddit account (had to follow the rules of the subreddit). This is one of the best ways to give the project exposure to a huge community of PC building enthusiasts!

---------

Edit:

WE HAVE MOVEMENT :D

6 new orders on the kickstarter! <3

Here we goooooo. :)

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Perhaps instagram ads as well? My friend has lauded that platform for being affordable while being able to pinpoint the exact target demographic.

Have you thought of referral programmes as well? Some KS campaigns associate money back for bringing in 'friends' who purchase, those are probably easy 'word-of-mouth' marketing i can think of.

Wishing u all the success :D

Yes, instagram ads are being A/B tested right now :)

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019

I'd recommend either NF-A14's (100% sure will fit) or NF-A12x25's with the SFMA1 adapter (90% sure will fit, should run quieter). Arctic's 27mm P14 fans should fit, but will be tight.

Reactions: Koxx5D