Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
And it still looks amazing on the second and third look ;)

But I have a question. ASAIK you won't offer a window kit for launch, which is totally fine. But I definitely want do have a window, at least on the GPU size.
Is it possible to show the mounting of the side panel? Is it fixed with screws or do you just slide it in from the top?

Maybe I can make my own glass/acryl panel for the case, this would be important to know before I join on KS.

Thank you!
yeah I'd love a window panel option as well. doesn't have to be at launch

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
KICKSTARTER UPDATE

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bad news first: So, Kickstarter reached out and said they take issue with our use of renders, as they're "too photorealistic". To avoid this problem in the first place, I had already used glass computer components in all renders so it was incredibly obvious that they were renders, but Kickstarter has decided that this isn't enough, and our renders are still "too real" ?‍♂️.

They do allow CAD drawings of parts --- so I'll be replacing all renders on the Kickstarter with Stylized CAD images and Wireframes. It also means the *really* nice KS video has to now be re-shot. I expect to submit all of this to KS by tonight, and have cleared my calendar for the rest of the day to make it happen. We will hopefully get final approval by tomorrow evening. Ultimately, it means the look and feel of the KS won't appear as polished as it would have otherwise... but the Winter One website should give you all a better idea of these renders. They also said they loved the project but they have to enforce that policy because enough bad apples have caused issues using renders in the past.

Good News: They didn't take issue with anything else, so I expect once this change is made approval will come quickly.

I am feeling annoyed and frustrated right now, and I can only imagine this feeling is shared by everyone else who's been so patiently and graciously waiting for the case. While the wait is *nearly* over, it's not over yet. But Soon®

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
KICKSTARTER UPDATE

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bad news first:
So, Kickstarter reached out and said they take issue with our use of renders, as they're "too photorealistic". To avoid this problem in the first place, I had already used glass computer components in all renders so it was incredibly obvious that they were renders, but Kickstarter has decided that this isn't enough, and our renders are still "too real" ?‍♂️.

They do allow CAD drawings of parts --- so I'll be replacing all renders on the Kickstarter with Stylized CAD images and Wireframes. It also means the *really* nice KS video has to now be re-shot. I expect to submit all of this to KS by tonight, and have cleared my calendar for the rest of the day to make it happen. We will hopefully get final approval by tomorrow evening. Ultimately, it means the look and feel of the KS won't appear as polished as it would have otherwise... but the Winter One website should give you all a better idea of these renders. They also said they loved the project but they have to enforce that policy because enough bad apples have caused issues using renders in the past.

Good News: They didn't take issue with anything else, so I expect once this change is made approval will come quickly.

I am feeling annoyed and frustrated right now, and I can only imagine this feeling is shared by everyone else who's been so patiently and graciously waiting for the case. While the wait is *nearly* over, it's not over yet. But Soon®

A little setback *hopefully*. Looking good otherwise, go go @WinterCharm. We're with you! :D

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Having backed other projects where the images were rendered to look too real and then the end product differed greatly, I get where KS comes from. Seems like it's only a few days away.

Reactions: WinterCharm

spyfly

Efficiency Noob
Oct 20, 2020
KICKSTARTER UPDATE

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bad news first:
So, Kickstarter reached out and said they take issue with our use of renders, as they're "too photorealistic". To avoid this problem in the first place, I had already used glass computer components in all renders so it was incredibly obvious that they were renders, but Kickstarter has decided that this isn't enough, and our renders are still "too real" ?‍♂️.

I've been an SFF enthusiast for a couple of years now, but the thermals and noise levels of a DanCase A4 with a Titan Xp and a 3900X are everything else than great.

I've been looking for possible case candidates for a fully watercooled SFF system recently, but most of the cases just didn't quite cut it. They were either too big or they didn't support dual 240mm radiators, which are kind of required if you want to dissipate 500 Watts of heat.

I'm really looking forward to building a fully water-cooled SFF system in your case. You've basically engineered the product of my dreams, which really ticks all the boxes.

I wish you the best of luck to get your Kickstarter page approved this time, I can't wait to get my hands on this case.

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
KICKSTARTER UPDATE

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bad news first:

Thank you for the update and sorry you're too good at rendering for real life. Looking forward to the KS.

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
I've been an SFF enthusiast for a couple of years now, but the thermals and noise levels of a DanCase A4 with a Titan Xp and a 3900X are everything else than great.

I've been looking for possible case candidates for a fully watercooled SFF system recently, but most of the cases just didn't quite cut it. They were either too big or they didn't support dual 240mm radiators, which are kind of required if you want to dissipate 500 Watts of heat.

I'm really looking forward to building a fully water-cooled SFF system in your case. You've basically engineered the product of my dreams, which really ticks all the boxes.

I wish you the best of luck to get your Kickstarter page approved this time, I can't wait to get my hands on this case.

Will the same cooling potential be possible with the SPK kit or does water always beat out air in that respect? I'm just looking to have something that runs as quiet as possible!

I share the same feelings as a fellow dan case user and I only have a 65w tdp 2600x at the moment.

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
@WinterCharm, I'm really interested in the case with the proposed SPK. Would I be safe in investing in the Kickstarter campaign when it opens, or would I be better waiting until the SPK is released?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Wait why is it 15.6L now?

15.4 >> 15.6L to support the 3090 FE, and 280mm radiators, as well as 30mm radiators + 25mm fans.

It was a few mm of height and length. The extra space also raised CPU cooler height to 70mm, and let us add even more cooling capacity to the SPK. So lots of benefits for just a few mm.

@WinterCharm, I'm really interested in the case with the proposed SPK. Would I be safe in investing in the Kickstarter campaign when it opens, or would I be better waiting until the SPK is released?

Since I've already started development of the SPK, and have sunk a lot of money into it, it's pretty safe to say the product is coming next year. I don't anticipate needing to cancel the SPK, as the feasibility is already excellent. No one has done it simply because of cost... but I'm willing to undertake that. Timeframes may shift a bit, but the case will be supported long-term, and funds from the Kickstarter will go towards finishing up SPK development. If we're able to sell 1200 units in the Kickstarter it'll fully fund the rest of SPK development. If not, that's okay, as future batches, once they add up to around 1200, will finish funding the SPK development, and the money is being spent in chunks as milestones are hit, not all at once, so it won't slow down development.

Will the same cooling potential be possible with the SPK kit or does water always beat out air in that respect? I'm just looking to have something that runs as quiet as possible!

I share the same feelings as a fellow dan case user and I only have a 65w tdp 2600x at the moment.

Water will probably be a *bit* better, but the SPK will get you close to 80% of the performance of a custom loop, for a lot less money, without the pain of filling / draining a loop.

Last edited:

obsydian

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 21, 2020
I've been following this for a while; very excited for the KS to go live!

I had been planning on doing a custom loop like many here, and was leaning towards the perforated sides with an all-exhaust setup. But now you've got me thinking about the SPK...which would want the solid sides. Even if I go air cooled until the SPK is available, the perforated sides would be the preferred setup. Will we have the option to purchase the solid side panels later when the SPK is released?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I've been following this for a while; very excited for the KS to go live!

I had been planning on doing a custom loop like many here, and was leaning towards the perforated sides with an all-exhaust setup. But now you've got me thinking about the SPK...which would want the solid sides. Even if I go air cooled until the SPK is available, the perforated sides would be the preferred setup. Will we have the option to purchase the solid side panels later when the SPK is released?

Traditional air cooled setups *really* benefit from the perforated side panels. The SPK is still in early development. There are actually a few prototypes designed for use with the perforated panels, too. Nothing is being shown yet because it's way too early. What ends up being the "Winning" design will depend 100% on performance.

Wow, adding so little volume to the case for so much improvement, really nice job!

Thank you!

--------------------

KICKSTARTER UPDATE 2 -- Submitted everything again. Now waiting to see what they say.

Because the original video was 1:20 and took ~ 200 hours or so of render time, I will be using that elsewhere... because I refuse to just throw it away, lol. You can expect that to go up on youtube when the KS is live.

Product video on KS will be me showing you a prototype :3 less exciting, but also a bit more personal. Enjoy.