Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Also forgot to mention, EK-DDC 3.2 PWM is about 28mm in height with the stock barb housing removed..(I'm assuming you can remove it? correct me if I'm wrong) so that + Aquanaut would work too.

So once you remove the top (stock barb housing), your pump is wide open...

shioume

Chassis Packer
Oct 21, 2019
So once you remove the top (stock barb housing), your pump is wide open...
Yes but then you attach it to the Aquanaut so it’s sealed again.. no? (Essentially replacing the stock barb with Aquanaut)

Sorry correct me if I’m wrong, I only started watercooling like 4months ago.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
Yes but then you attach it to the Aquanaut so it’s sealed again.. no? (Essentially replacing the stock barb with Aquanaut)

Sorry correct me if I’m wrong, I only started watercooling like 4months ago.
You are correct. The Aquanaut is like putting on the xtop you linked.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Loving the water-cooling discussion, so I wanted to drop this here:

This is the pump bracket attachment :) It's designed to mount a bunch of different pumps. Here's an XSPC DDC pump with a res, combined with a short GPU (ignore the label, I cut it short). This is the "in progress" v11 which will be the KS version (with improvements due to beta feedback. :)

Some other useful numbers:

1. Maximum Radiator Length: 312mm
2. Maximum Radiator Width: 155mm
3. Max GPU "height": 156.5mm
4. Radiator + Fan Thickness: 57mm

:)

Just waiting on the Kickstarter to finally push that "approve" button, and doing some final things on the website before I take it live again :D

Also, I'm thinking of doing a weekly Q/A / Kickstarter update in video form. Would people like that? :)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Just to be clear about the clearance :))) the GPU height is with the 57mm in the Top?

Yes, but wait until I post the actual compatibility information, as it explains how each measurement was taken. This GPU height is from the tip of the PCIE bracket, all the way to the very top limit of how tall the card can be :)

shioume

Chassis Packer
Oct 21, 2019

This is the pump bracket attachment :) It's designed to mount a bunch of different pumps. Here's an XSPC DDC pump with a res, combined with a short GPU (ignore the label, I cut it short). This is the "in progress" v11 which will be the KS version (with improvements due to beta feedback. :)

Just waiting on the Kickstarter to finally push that "approve" button, and doing some final things on the website before I take it live again :D

Also, I'm thinking of doing a weekly Q/A / Kickstarter update in video form. Would people like that? :)
This looks promising, Barrow mini pump/res might be a decent option for that configuration too. (80mm x 62.2mm x 62.2mm)

One concern is the added height of fittings if you were to have the pump/res OUT port facing towards the GPU side panel.
If you could try maximize the space between GPU side panel and PSU in the product version of Winter One (offset PSU towards the CPU side panel maybe?), it'd be super helpful for watercooling.

Weekly Q/A also sounds like a good idea, would love to hear even the smallest info :)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
This looks promising, Barrow mini pump/res might be a decent option for that configuration too. (80mm x 62.2mm x 62.2mm)

One concern is the added height of fittings if you were to have the pump/res OUT port facing towards the GPU side panel.
If you could try maximize the space between GPU side panel and PSU in the product version of Winter One (offset PSU towards the CPU side panel maybe?), it'd be super helpful for watercooling.

Weekly Q/A also sounds like a good idea, would love to hear even the smallest info :)

So, yes, I did take a lot of time to maximize the space between the GPU and the power supply, for 2 reasons: 3080/3090 exhaust, and better clearance / room for liquid cooling. There's close to 30mm between the back of the GPU and the Power Supply.

Grimm

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 11, 2020
It's now 70mm, I've been struggling to get to 72mm but the issue is with standoffs and motherboard backplates. Can't make standoffs shorter than 6.25mm or it'll break the latest ITX spec.

Yes! Radiators and AIOs are supported up to 312mm in length.
May I ask what parts of the case (top plate mounting screws, etc) restrict the length to 312mm? I'm thinking of trying to fit a kraken x63 which is 315mm in total length. Alternative suggestions are much appreciated as well :)

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020

This raises so many questions, so many possibilities! 312mm is the exact length of the GTS 280, so I assume it was design with those in mind. I am really curious about that bracket, but I'll wait until the KS before I bombard you with you questions.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Maybe you could add an optional top hat too?

No top hats. One of the reasons the interior of the case is so flexible in terms of layout, is that we don't have to compartment off various parts of the case to accommodate hats.

You can already fit two 280mm x 30mm radiators... what more would a top hat allow for? :eek:

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Hello - my first post here :)

I was thinking of doing an air cooled build in this case with the view of getting the semi passive/passive heat sinks in the future. My guess is that they are being made by Noctua (sorry if that seems obvious) and I was wondering what case fans would make the most sense?

NF-14x25 seem obvious but the Arctic P14's are so much cheaper and seem to give a similar performance albeit with a different hum.

Secondly, the CPU cooler height is at 67mm so that would mean my blackridge with an external 120mm fan would fit, or an L12S Ghost edition - are there any coolers I'm missing out?

Finally, I was wondering what kind of temp improvements could I see vs the Dan A4 (probably being a bit impatient here...haha)?

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
The easy things first: NF-14x25 are not yet released, the cpu cooler clearance has changed to 70mm (see previous page) and depending on what you'll run you temp improvements vs the DAN could be huge. (its more than double the size)

With the fans it's harder. You have to decide on the use case, and I think if you put a big heatsink in the case and fans to push air through it might be a different case than having 2 radiators. With that being said, I would assume that you don't need that much static pressure as you're not forcing air through the radiator when using the heatsink. So maybe a Fractal HF-14 Venturi might be a better choice. (only assumptions here)

For the 280GTS the best fan you can buy is actually the NF-A12x25 with a shroud to mount to the 140mm, then the P12/ P14 and then the NF-A14. (if you measure performance/noise) In the end we're talking 1-3° here, so I guess going for the P14s should be the reasonable choice.

Last edited: