Windows 10 discussion Thread

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
There's three things I often hear voiced on forums such as [H] - as you are in the EU, you can feel free to correct them if they are wrong:

1) Minimum 2 year warranty, regardless of what manufacturer specifies.

2) You may deal directly with retailers for warranty claims

This one already appears refuted by your own anecdotal evidence, but does this perhaps apply specifically to brick and mortar stores, and not online ones? Perhaps UK only?

3) Beyond specified period of warranty, an item is still expected to function within a reasonable period of time, otherwise it may still qualify for repair service or reimbursement

Not sure on specific period of time, fairly certain I've heard 5-6 years in the past. This one is most assuredly UK specific, so not related to EU consumer protection law. Come to think of it, my understanding is UK consumer protection law is actually significantly better than the overarching EU protection laws, so I wonder how much is confused between specific country protection laws and what the EU offers overall.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
1) Minimum 2 year warranty, regardless of what manufacturer specifies.
True, but not for everything. Batteries and professional use are still limited/exempt for example.

2) You may deal directly with retailers for warranty claims
Indeed true, but not often an advantage in practice. Normally, the seller is responsible for the warranty, not the manufacturer. As I said in my previous post, not all retailers honor this correctly and will just be a pain in the ass by not cooperating. Legal defense is still something rarely used here and often leads to more money and time wasted than what it's worth.

Retailers will rarely exchange goods, they will just ship your defective device to the manufacturer for you. So some companies like WD, who can cross-ship you a new device before yours has arrived, it is not worth the effort of going through the retailer, especially with online retail where you basically have to have it delivered somewhere (retailer) anyway, so why not directly to the RMA department of the company ?

Another issue with that is that you are dealing with two parties instead of one, so if your item gets lost, incorrectly repaired, destroyed or damaged, you can join the exciting multiplayer game of "Who doesn't want to take responsibility for the fuckup ?". If you ever want to see me rage about something, such moments are when I might flip out and unleash my inner Hulk.

3) Beyond specified period of warranty, an item is still expected to function within a reasonable period of time, otherwise it may still qualify for repair service or reimbursement
I know this exists in the Netherlands, but it doesn't (or is being kept under wraps) for Belgium. But this is also often disputed, because this isn't clear-cut and you'll need to take it up with the retailer or manufacturer too who often don't honor this. Often it will require threatening with legal or actually sueing them. This is not something I would want to waste my money and time on, since I live in a country that:
- lets murderers and rapists go free because of a misspelled name on some form during arrest (happens regularly)
- lets criminals have citizen rights, regularly the victim gets sued because the criminal's privacy (!) was endangered (Microsoft LOLs)
- has long jail time penalty on personal tax evasion but foreign thieves go free after 24 hours

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Put together my Skylake rig over the past few days.

I injected USB 3.0 drivers into my Win7 SP1 (slipstreamed) ISO and installed Win 7 onto my Skylake rig without issue.

Grabbed the media install tool, installed it to a USB key, and used the same tool to upgrade this the blank Win7 copy (activated, but with no driver/win updates other than ethernet) to Win 10. The USb was a precaution in-case I needed to do a clean installation afterward due to any issues.

After the Win10 update, I had to uninstall and reinstall the same ethernet driver as it as the NIC was not being recognized. Installed all my chipset/driver/sata stuff, let Windows 10 update the Nvidia GPU drivers, and then installed the latest WHQL on top of that with a clean installation and removing the Nvidia junk (3D Vision, GFE, etc).

So far everything looks to be decent. I've noticed a few glitches with the search/start button whereby I can pretty much break it.. other than that, mostly just tinkering with settings and attempting to find where everything is right now.

I might be missing it, but is there any way to move notifications to be hidden? The only option appears to be turning it off completely. That seems a bit odd.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Turn on quiet hours, if it works like it does on the phone, it mutes and hides notifications